172.300 $B20 - Control Channel - Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

I'll spare ya'll the details but a week or two ago got some VHF skip coming in for a few hours and one that I am getting nowhere with is:

172.300 NAC B20

definitely a control channel. checked with an analog scanner to make sure.

got nothing more to work with tho. Anyone recognize it?

Thanks.

dlwtrunked

Premium Subscriber
I'll spare ya'll the details but a week or two ago got some VHF skip coming in for a few hours and one that I am getting nowhere with is:

172.300 NAC B20

Thanks.

You know if you gave us some rough idea of where you lived instead o hiding it, someone might have an idea.

ecps92

The only $B20 I've seen was for CBP down in TX
As for 172.3000 too many agencies to narrow that one down
and then without a location, even more impossible

Now a thought is an image from 800/900 or another band. - what make/models was it heard on..

172.300 NAC B20

Thanks.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Heard this a few times over the last few months as well. Never seen any traffic on it though.

System ID is B25
RFSS: 1
Site #: 2
WACN: BEE00
NAC: B20

Primary CC: 172.3000
Alternate CC: 173.5500
Alternace CC: 173.8125

I don't have a neighbor site listed in my notes even though it says site 2 which means either site #1 wasn't on the air when I heard it or it's SmartX'd and in a transition from Type II VHF trunked system (never seen a military/federal system do this before though).

I'm thinking this is something out of the south due to the other things heard when conditions are enhanced. Based on what I know for sure is in use by those frequencies elsewhere I know it's at least 75 miles from Charlotte, and it's likely not around Asheville or Raleigh.

spacellamaman

Heard this a few times over the last few months as well. Never seen any traffic on it though.

System ID is B25
RFSS: 1
Site #: 2
WACN: BEE00
NAC: B20

Primary CC: 172.3000
Alternate CC: 173.5500
Alternace CC: 173.8125

I don't have a neighbor site listed in my notes even though it says site 2 which means either site #1 wasn't on the air when I heard it or it's SmartX'd and in a transition from Type II VHF trunked system (never seen a military/federal system do this before though).

I'm thinking this is something out of the south due to the other things heard when conditions are enhanced. Based on what I know for sure is in use by those frequencies elsewhere I know it's at least 75 miles from Charlotte, and it's likely not around Asheville or Raleigh.

Thanks trumpetman. I should have just PM'd you. I have to agree with ya on all points as what little I can add matches up with your thoughts. I was in my car under a metal roofed carport with the scanner on the windowsill. I got one site (didn't note which one though) of the 4 Shaw AFB 380mHz sites coming in sporatically, and was Rx'ing the CC of the 160mHz Shaw system with no trouble. Reception of the 160mHz Shaw system CC was a bit stronger than the $B20.

I was also receiving sites 3C1 thru 3C7 CC's with no trouble, including active traffic on the White Whale, 3C3. I am very close to 3C4 which makes things kinda interesting as from that location, there is no hope of receiving 3C1, 3C2 or 3C3 under normal conditions.

it was Feb 25th around the time it was getting dark, and for an hour or two after that.

AlphaFive

Haven't been working that band since Jan 25 and 26. I've been working 25 through 30 since Mid February. Soooooo quite on the Fed Freq's. But that just makes it so much better when you actually hook one and bring it in the boat. Take care over there.
Quiet, not quite.....DOH

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.