Nationwide Rollout of Federal Trunked Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkewman

I just spoke to a US Marshals agent tonight while at work, apparently there's going to be a nationwide rollout of Motorola Trunked Systems. from what i could decipher (he wasn't a radio person) it's going to be Type II systems - analog/digital hybrid with encryption. (probably not on all talkgroups)

He wasn't sure if they'd be linked, but he did say it was a nationwide rollout.

Keep a sharp eye out for new control channels in the federal bands!

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Well just between you and me. It's already being implemented and it's P25, not hybrid 2 and it's 380 mhz band. It's being rolled out more and more everyday. Older 400 mhz systems are starting to shutdown for example up until last year Ft Belvoir in the DC area was 400 untill the 380 mhz system kicked in. Andrews AFB for which this site has been asked not to list the frequencies anymore is starting to use the380 mhz system more and more. This is something that has been known for a while.

R Collins

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Generally that 380 Mhz rollout is moving forward for federal and military installations. The Marshalls are a completely different story - it will be interesting to see if they do adopt P25 since it is such a 'standard' in the industry (of course, they could go to ProVoice, which no one can listen to anyway.....) Hopefully not.... 73s Mike

N

N_Jay

Ah the rumors . . . . . .

And now for the "news" . . . .IWIN

Ranger522

Premium Subscriber
The USMS (Marshals) and the FBI have combined systems in many areas (TN, MS more to come), are VHF, P25 conventional (not trunked) and 100% encrypted.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
kg4icg said:
Well just between you and me. It's already being implemented and it's P25, not hybrid 2 and it's 380 mhz band. It's being rolled out more and more everyday. Older 400 mhz systems are starting to shutdown for example up until last year Ft Belvoir in the DC area was 400 untill the 380 mhz system kicked in. Andrews AFB for which this site has been asked not to list the frequencies anymore is starting to use the380 mhz system more and more. This is something that has been known for a while.

R Collins

from what we can tell in the Northern VA area, these are all DoD systems, not law enforcement.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
mkewman said:
I just spoke to a US Marshals agent tonight while at work, apparently there's going to be a nationwide rollout of Motorola Trunked Systems. from what i could decipher (he wasn't a radio person) it's going to be Type II systems - analog/digital hybrid with encryption. (probably not on all talkgroups)
He wasn't sure if they'd be linked, but he did say it was a nationwide rollout.
Keep a sharp eye out for new control channels in the federal bands!

The Integrated Wireless Network (IWN) is already started its deployment. I've been covering it for Monitoring Times for a couple of years now:

1) It is APCO P-25 compliant, 9600 baud, all digital.

2) It is VHF, but the system proposals call for some possible UHF sites.

3) It's not going to happen all at once across the country, but the goal is a nationwide network. It's slowly been built up in the Pacific Northwest, and will probably start showing up in the southwest along the border states next.

The info on the RR database hasn't been updated, but more current frequencies & site locations can be found here:

http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/2007/01/jiwn-update.html

http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/2006/11/justice-iwn-news.html

http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/2006/10/justice-iwn-marches-on.html

http://mt-fedfiles.blogspot.com/2006/06/justice-iwn-update.html

Absolutely right about keeping an eye out for control channels in the VHF federal bands!

- Chris

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
The states of Montana, Oregon (In the planning stages), Virginia, and Wyoming, and have been working with the federal government to make their statewide VHF-High band trunking systems part of the IWIN TRS in their states. By working out an agreement to share frequencies and system resources, both the state and feds come-out ahead, by saving the taxpayers a bundle of money in the long-run.

It will be interesting to see if any of the states who are operating Project 25 systems on the 700/800 MHz bands, work on some sort of an agreement to share any system resources. Having a split-band trunking system is not altogether an unrealistic proposal. We'll have to see how this all pans out in the coming years.

73's

Ron

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
In this area if you really listen, they are DOD and Federal. You just have to listen. For example. The US Capital Police have a TG on the 380 mhz system with a ID of 113. The 380 mhz trs is a nationwide system that is growing more and more everyday, and you find the activity is growing on it. I listen too it everyday. You do hear a lot of comms on it other then military. I'm, talking about the DC area at that. For Example the Maryland State Police are patched into the 380 system in Maryland. As the 380 systems come up, you notice that 400 mhz systems go down. Plus if you really pay attention to how the systems are setup, they are all patched into each other. you just have to listen, which i do for at least 8 hours a day riding around the beltway delivering sand and stone all day.

THis is who i work for http://www.gudelskygroup.com/495_trucking.htm

R Collins

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
kg4icg said:
In this area if you really listen, they are DOD and Federal. You just have to listen. For example. The US Capital Police have a TG on the 380 mhz system with a ID of 113. The 380 mhz trs is a nationwide system that is growing more and more everyday, and you find the activity is growing on it. I listen too it everyday. You do hear a lot of comms on it other then military. I'm, talking about the DC area at that. For Example the Maryland State Police are patched into the 380 system in Maryland. As the 380 systems come up, you notice that 400 mhz systems go down. Plus if you really pay attention to how the systems are setup, they are all patched into each other. you just have to listen, which i do for at least 8 hours a day riding around the beltway delivering sand and stone all day.

THis is who i work for http://www.gudelskygroup.com/495_trucking.htm

R Collins

I am talking about Northern VA too. a large majority of the ones listed on the site below are military. all of the traffic I've heard are military. yes, patches exist to/from local law enforcement. with 8 hours of driving the beltway everyday, I'm sure you hear a lot more then I do. :) I can only monitor one site while at my desk. plus, you're in the middle of everything.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
I have a quick question

I have a non p25 scanner.
Would I hear a p25 control channel and if so would it sound like a Motorola cc???

N

N_Jay

More rumors, more facts!

The 380MHz stuff is NOT a nationwide trunked system.

What you hear in MD/DC/VA is the NCR (National Capital Region) military base system.

It is a linked P25 trunked system.

IWN is VHF trunked (Although a lot of fed agencies have built out VHF conventional to this point)

To the best of my knowledge no states are sharing channels/systems with IWN (sites, yes).

The FEDs can not license 700MHz, so for them top use 700 MHz they have to be on a State/Local system.

(Everything above is from public sources and common sense)

Status
Not open for further replies.