Pro-96 on VHF P-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

N8IAA

Occassionaly, I take a ride to NC near the Great Smokey Mtns. NP. I have noticed that there are some P-25 frequencies in the new narrow band of 7.5khz. Will the 96 decode the digital signal if it is 2.5khz off. The 96 does not do 7.5 steps in that range. I know it will hear the USACOE freq that I have programmed in with the ctcss(it is .0375, the scanner defaults to .0400). Just wondering if anyone has had any luck listening to any narrow band fedcoms on the 96.
TIA,
Larry

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Larry, the PRO-96 does just fine on the federal 12.5 KHz channels that are in use now (the federal VHF & UHF bands are using 12.5 KHz steps, not 7.5 KHz).

Yes, it is frustrating that the frequencies get rounded off, but that doesn't seem to keep the radio from tuning in the signal. Unfortunately the frequency steps in the PRO-96 are set by the radio's design and can't be changed by a flash upgrade or such...

- Chris

Last edited:

N8IAA

ChrisP said:
Larry, the PRO-96 does just fine on the federal 12.5 KHz channels that are in use now (the federal VHF & UHF bands are using 12.5 KHz steps, not 7.5 KHz).

Yes, it is frustrating that the frequencies get rounded off, but that doesn't seem to keep the radio from tuning in the signal. Unfortunately the frequency steps in the PRO-96 are set by the radio's design and can't be changed by a flash upgrade or such...

- Chris
Thanks Chris. I sometimes have brainfarts abt the step sizes. You would think I'd do the math;)) I've had this radio for 1.5yrs and enjoy it very much. GRE should have been more forward thinking when they designed the 96. My 97 does the correct steps, but, unfortunately, not digital. Maybe later this year they will give us something that has the new step sizes in it and 700mhz trunking. Don't need WFM, or GPS. Brighter display too. I just don't want to put the money into a Uniden. Too many bells and whistles for simple scanning. I know several people who just love them. I've been around scanning for over 30 yrs, and ham for 22. Simple is always better. I do love computer programming the radios.
Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.