Pensacola and Jacksonville frequency help with 385.3125

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Over the last month I have been picking up an unknown control channel in the Navarre area which I thought was Pensacola Florida. The SID for the frequency is 385.3125 which displays as BEEOO-14C-0121, part of the DOD P-25 Mil system in this area. In Navarre I normally pick it up in the evening with 1 bar on my BCD996T. When I go to Pensacola I get a max reading of 5-bars.

So far I have identified the system as being used by the Navy, more exact a NAS (Naval Air Station). The talkgroups I have identified so far are the following.

28013 – Fire EMS
28130 – Police

What is strange about the transmissions is the radio operators refer to dispatch as JAX. Example would be the fire trucks refer to dispatch as JAX Fire and the police refer to dispatch as JAX Dispatch. The EMS units were referred to as JAX Med-1 and 2. The base sounds pretty big because they have referred to a golf coarse, movie theater and they have more than one fire engine and med units. During the last 2 emergency calls it only took the fire/ems less than 5 minutes to respond to emergency calls. When patients were transported, it took the med units only 3 minutes to transport them to a NAS hospital.

I find this hard to believe that I am picking up the NAS in Jacksonville Florida when I get max signal strength in Pensacola. I originally thought this was a new Pensacola P-25 system but NAS Pensacola is still actively using the older 140-150 VHF system. Plus they refer to dispatch as Pensacola. I also thought it was one of the outlying fields but I have confirmed all their radio frequencies.

Can someone else in the Pensacola and Jacksonville areas tune into the above control channel and verify it’s location, and if you have a digital scanner, some of the talkgroups. You don’t need digital to see if you’re at least picking up the CC.

This is what I love about being a scanner hobbyist; find the unknowns and verifying them.

Thanks
Dan

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
One additional finding tonight, on the above mentioned control channel, I'm picking up a new TG ID of 29473 which is different from the rest. It sounds like base security because there using terms like “Roving security checks Alpha complete” They even gave one of the security officers instructions on how to get to Pensacola Airport, I heard the directions.

When I heard this, I became more confused now. Here I am listening on a single control channel hearing what appears to be both Pensacola and/or NAS Jacksonville. Your guess is as good as mine now. :confused:

kc4wwu

Jax Nas P25

There could be a couple things going on here.

First off, I have been told by numerous people, ( I work on base at Mayport Naval Station in JAX), that there is going to be one "centralized dispatch center" for the southeast region. So Mayport, NAS JAX, NAS Pensacola, NS Kings Bay, etc, will all be dispatched by NAS JAX, as far as Public Saftey goes anyway. While listening to Mayport Police, they are being dispatched by Mayport ECC. The "centralized dispatch" hasn't started yet. AT least not in Mayport. Maybe this has started in Pensacola?? Good question. I know the Phone Systems have changed here. Now when I dial a 4 digit number, it goes straight to NAS JAX. ALL of our phones go thru NAS JAX, as well as Kings Bay.

On another note, since this is a Smart Zone system, If there is a portable from NAS JAX fire or police affiliated on the Pensacola System, then yes, you will be hearing ALL of NAS JAX Polcie or Fire on the Pensacola System. There are times I hear NAS JAX Fire on the Mayport System. Happens quite a bit actually.

I'll keep a listen out also. Good catch! Monitoring the Naval installations is going to get interesting... at least until they all go ENC

73, Pete
K4QHR

wise871

Database Admin
Pete
Thanks for the reply. If what you’re saying holds true with a centralized system, then that would be cool to hear all the Navy installations regardless of location. Some of the talkgroup ID’s I have picked up for the Navy have all begun with 28xxx and 29xxx. I monitor Whiting Field everyday and they use there own dispatch system right now. Whiting TG all begin with 292XX. There are times when I hear the Whiting transportation drivers on the Pensacola 121 site. Normally there doing a shuttle run between Pensacola and Whiting and there radios switch over to the closest tower. I guess the Air Force is taking a different approach. They run on the same BEEOO-14C system but they maintain the individual base dispatch network.

Again, thanks for replying and answering my question. I hope we can narrow down this new discovery.
Thanks
Dan

kc4wwu

Jax Nas P25

Dan, I think you may have misunderstood what I was saying...

The only way you would hear Dispatch for Police or Fire from another installation, is if that installation is for some reason "affiliated" on that system.

For example, NAS JAX will provide a "centralized dispatch" for the southeast region. All that means is, if you call for Police or Fire/EMS services from a navy installation in the southeast region, (NAS JAX, Kings Bay, Mayport, Pensacola, etc) you will be directed automatically to NAS JAX, and they would dispatch the appropriate services.

You will not hear any other navy installations talkgroups on Pensacolas system, unless someone from another installation is at Pensacola with their radio on their own home installation channel.

Also, not ALL talkgroups will cross connect on other systems. For example, the Mayport Refueling farm, who refuels the Navy Ships, probably would not have the ability to cross connect from Mayport System to Pensacola. Again, this is just an example.

There are however, talkgroups on the SouthEast Region network that simulcast on EVERY system when they are used, for interop.

Hope this explained it a little better for you.

73, Pete
K4QHR

wise871

Database Admin
Gotcha,

You said "You will not hear any other navy installations talkgroups on Pensacolas system, unless someone from another installation is at Pensacola with their radio on their own home installation channel."

I have seen what you stated with the Hurlburt system. If I take a Hurlburt radio and drive over to Eglin, the Hurlburt radio TG ID will show up on the Eglin site. I see this hapening all the time since the bases are close together. What is weird is hearing Jax Fire calls on a Pensacola tower and I know there not at Pensacola. I would understand if Engine 1 from Jax was over at Pensacola, but I hear both dispatch and engine 1.

I don't think but I could be wrong, but the calls from Jax are not being simulcast. I have all the 14C sites programed in and I only hear it on the one channel. It also could be a possibility that the Jax and P-Cola sites are configured for interop.

Thanks Again
Dan

Last edited:

CORN

Premium Subscriber
I just came up from the Blue Angels Airshow at NAS Pensacola and got to monitor Pensacola's VHF TRS. As you stated, they are still using the analog TRS in the 140-150 range. All their comms were on that. As for the 380MHz control channels (the main issue of this topic) i haven't heard anything on it to relate to NAS Pensacola that deals with Fire/Medics/Police, etc. I have plugged all the CC's in that i've found down there and put my PSR-500 in muli site mode to check all CC's.

First off i have to ask you: Which CC is Whiting Field? The CC's i've come across while staying at Pensacola Beach (found these this past July) were 385.3125 (RR lists this one as NAS Pensacola) as well as CC's: 386.2625, 386.85, 386.8875, and 388.2375

Some talk groups that have appeared: 29213 (unk), 29445 (unk), 29473 (lots of references to "Quarter Deck, security checks, transportation, etc) , And just this past weekend for the airshow 28013 popped up and refered to Mayport Fire. But as of right now it doesn't appear that any of NAS Pensacola's main services have left their analog system. It might be a matter of time though.

And just for kicks, with 385.3125 plugged in only these sets (voice freqs) popped up: 386.25, 386.5125, 388.0625, 388.2375, 388.3375, 388.6, and 388.8

wise871

Database Admin
Corn
Thanks for checking out the systems. To answer your questions, Whiting has two sites that I have discovered, Site 109 (386.2625) and Site 124 (385.2125). They may be using one more but I need to confirm it first. The freqs listed here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5341 for Whiting and NAS Pensacola is what I have. I have not seen any others.

I have also plotted the talkgroups you listed. The one for Quarterdeck is correct for NAS Pensacola. Not being in the Navy, I'm not sure what it means but when I monitored them, they were referring to streets around Pensacola Airport.

The Mayport hit is a new one on me. This goes along with what Pete talked about them using a "centralized dispatch".

I have the list of voice freqs you mentioned for 385.3125.

Thanks for monitoring and if I come up with anything else I'll pass it on.
Dan

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I don't have a Digital Scanner but I did find these 388.9625 and 389.7125 and 388.450. I live in South Alabama. With the old VHF and Uhf systems I have been able to hear Eglin AFB, Pensacola Navy and Ft Rucker. Not sure who is using these frequencies. If you find out let me know.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I am picking up several control frequencies. The strongest one I can recieve is 386.075. It is giving me a signal of S-7 out of S-9. I was wondering how can I get the Id's and alpha tags from the control frequencies. What is an easy way ? 386.075 is not listed in the DOD Project 25 listing on this web site. I have a new Bearcat BCD996T and analog Icom IC R8500. I use the Icom R8500 to do seaches while I scan on the other.

cspetersaf

I'm new to the scanner world--last time I owned one was a Bearcat 210 if that tells you how long ago it was. Scanners have certainly changed over the years.
I can shed some limited light on the NAS Jax and Pensacola radio frequencies you've been talking about. We've had new radio systems installed in our vehicles, along with our older radios. We're not supposed to use them, but of course what you're told and what you do are two separate things. We've experimented with them and can reach out, from car to car, from NASP to at least Pensacola Beach and it sounds like we are right next to each other. We have been told that this in fact is the new radio system that the Southeast Region will be using and we'll be able to reach out througout the region to talk to our own assigned units. We haven't been told if there will be a mutual aid frequency, but I do expect one. When it comes on line, we'll also be issued new handheld radios with the same capability. Our old radio system (the one still in use) loses signal when you enter buildings on base and will not transmit/receive. We've had the new radios in the vehicles for almost a year and they keep telling us it's coming on line soon.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
How how cool to work on the base. I have noticed that the Federal Prison for Eglin is not on the new Project 25 system. I would guess the whole base would soon be on it. The Base in Pensacola right now seems to have the Quater Master be the only one using the system. Having a Mutal Aid channel would come in handy. I don't hear the system the whole time, only during clear nights. This will be a system that will be worth monitoring in the future before it all goes secure again. I just hope they keep some of the comms in the clear.

wise871

Database Admin
I know it’s been awhile since this topic has been active but I’ve been monitoring Motorola /CTI Resource Management Services setting up radios for the Navy in the SE Region (NAS Jacksonville, NAVSTA Mayport, SUBASE Kings Bay, NAS Key West, NAS Pensacola, NAS Whiting Field). They have been activating new Talkgroups all month. What is cool about the new system is I’m listening to the radio techs in Keywest talk to Mayport/Jax and Pensacola techs of the Whiting Field Tower 109 & 124. I figure I get the word out so others can monitor your local area.

Note: It's funny listening to everyone trying out the new radios and asking how they sound. :lol:

Last edited:

georgew0819

Navy Radio System - 380mhz to 400mhz ELMR

What you are hearing is scheduled to happen thru out the US in all Navy Reagions in the 380mhz to 400mhz band. The Change in the Pensacola Regaion acutally started when the area was still considered Navy Region Gulf Coast in 2004 & 2005 .There were many meetings between Gulf Coast Region, South East Region and CNIC, and NAS Whiting Field fought hard to get the Regional Dispacth there. The biggest selling point was that during hurricane Ivan NAS Whiting was the only Dispatch and EOC to remain up and running out of all the bases impacted by Ivan.

The Regional Dispatchs under the Navy's NERMS program are a cost saving measure and under the current situation work very well, when fully intergrated and used under heavy real world use only time will tell. There are drawbacks in the system however that will require that the old radio system remain in place as well for redundancy purposes. As far as encription in the system, the installation of MDT's in the cruisers and Fire apparatus will give the system the means for secure communication. On a final note for the fire apparatus they will also mantain the county radio's for the county assists (mutual aid) in thier respective counties.

PS Those in the east cost from Virgina to Maine, the NERMS intial impact study process is now underway.

Last edited:

georgew0819

Lose of signal

Our old radio system (the one still in use) loses signal when you enter buildings on base and will not transmit/receive.

When you get the new portables and have a chance to use them in real world events, let me know what you think then. Newer isn't always better.Yes inside some bldgs the radios on the old system had issues. But you could still hear a portable in Choctaw, Santa Rosa, Pace (all NOLF's) and vehicle radios as far as Brewton AL thanks to a well constructed antenna 150' in the air at Whiting. Portable to portable from Pensacola to NOLF Brewton or to NAS Whiting or the beach while outside is due to the additional towers constructed for the system. Inside walls, around various equipment there will still be time where comms will fail.

wise871

Database Admin
George
You hit the nail on the head on what is going on and what I'm hearing. Thanks for the indef detail on what is taking place. What you have mentioned is what I hear the tech talk about all day. I also heard the techs use the term ELMR, It also makes since why I can pick up other Navy Installations while monitoring the Whiting site.

Your tag says your from Newport RI but you sound like you been in this area before. Thanks again.
Dan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.