Right scanner for Marion Co Fla?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I have been out of touch with scanners for years. I came across and bought a used Radio Shack Pro-2051 triple trunking scanner. Gheez! what a nightmare. I tried to enter in Marion County Fla sheriff, fire, etc 800mhz trunking frequency's but dont hear anything at all. I have no idea if this scanner will even listen to the broadcast's. Will it? I have called several Radio Shack store's and all they tell me is if it is a truck tracker it will work. Do I keep it or list it on Ebay cause it ain't what I need for this area?

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
Sad to say that Ocala Public Safety went to a Motorola X2 TDMA modulation digital mode which is only capable being listened or heard on a GRE PSR-800 handheld scanner only found on eBay and some other websites that offers these scanners. Keep in mind that Uniden is going to be releasing to the public their two new Uniden portable & mobile digital scanner that allows us the user to listen to Motorola X2 TDMA modulation. The following new scanners by Uniden. Uniden will be releasing their's end of the month I believe.

Uniden BCD-436HP Portable handheld:

UNIDEN BCD-436HP | UNIDEN BCD436HP TrunkTracker V/APCO P25 Phase I & Phase II

Uniden BCD-536HP mobile/base scanner:

UNIDEN BCD-536HP | BCD536HP Mobile Scanner

ALSO Ham Radio Outlet is offering a $35 pre order for the customer to have his chances on getting this scanner or if Ham Radio Outlet is sold out of them before you have your chance to get yours you can get the money refunded or use the money on something else.

- Jamie

Last edited:

shadcall

While it is true that the city of Ocala is on Motorola X2 TDMA the county is still on P25 which can be monitored by a Radio Shack Pro 197 or 106. There are Uniden scanners which will monitor this as well but I don't know which ones. So if you get a digital scanner you can listen to Marion County, but not Ocala. here is the link for the database for the county. Your 2051 is not capable of receiving digital signals, only analog ones which is why you can't hear anything. You can still use your scanner for a variety of things such as air, railroads, businesses, media etc. so it is up to you if you want to sell it or keep it.

Marion County FL Public Safety Trunking System, Ocala, Florida - Scanner Frequencies

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Getting old is something else. Used to be so active in amateur radio that I had all the latest toys, then along came age, retirement and budgets. Used to keep up reading all the tech magazines, and belonging to radio clubs and hours learning by talking to people on ham radio. I have been inactive in ham radio for several years now the end result is where I used to be able to build electronic things, to now I don't understand printed instructions. The scanner has been posted for sale. Thanks for replies.

DeRanKeR

Premium Subscriber
ssinfla

If you want to monitor Marion County I do have a feed set up for it. The Sheriffs office's reception is a bit wonky so I am working on that. However Ocala Police and Ocala Fire Rescue comes in quite clear. I use the Pro-197 which RadioShack has recently stopped selling.

Status
Not open for further replies.