Volusia switching to P25 with ISSI??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMPRES2

I noticed a completely second set of antennas and equipment on two sites quite close to the Volusia county line. I know I read somewhere awhile back that Volusia was switching to P25. Does anyone have any updates on where that stands? Are they going to be using Seminole's Towers or is Seminole just increasing their capacity?

K9JRF

Premium Subscriber
I found from City MANAGER MEMORANDUM dated January 5th 2016 that stated the following;

"The County of Volusia manages the radio system countywide. They also provide
countywide dispatch for all public safety departments located in the County. The Radio
Systems Manager has advised all users that they are planning to upgrade the radio
system in the Fiscal Year 2017/18 to a P25 Phase II system to comply with National
standards."

james32746

Premium Subscriber
I noticed a completely second set of antennas and equipment on two sites quite close to the Volusia county line. I know I read somewhere awhile back that Volusia was switching to P25. Does anyone have any updates on where that stands? Are they going to be using Seminole's Towers or is Seminole just increasing their capacity?

Volusia County is leasing the tower at SCFD FS 34, (a former Seminole County analog site, the replacement P25 site is a couple of miles to the west at the Yankee Lake WWTP).

There will be an ISSI link between Seminole and Volusia, much like the one between Seminole and Orange.

IMPRES2

Does anyone know when they are taking down the old towers at site 1, 3, 4, and 7?

Most of the equipment and cabling has already disappeared from the towers and they are left standing lonely next to the new towers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Volusia County is leasing the tower at SCFD FS 34, (a former Seminole County analog site, the replacement P25 site is a couple of miles to the west at the Yankee Lake WWTP).

There will be an ISSI link between Seminole and Volusia, much like the one between Seminole and Orange.

Someone submitted that VCFS was using the Paola/Sanford site for calls in Debary south of Dirksen on the new system, is that true?. I can not monitor that site anymore since the old Seminole County omnidirectional transmit antennas were swapped out for directional antennas. Also are the transmissions Phase 1 or Phase 2?

IMPRES2

Someone submitted that VCFS was using the Paola/Sanford site for calls in Debary south of Dirksen on the new system, is that true?
I work just up the road and monitor the system daily. I submitted the proper CC and SCC channels not long ago but have not heard the FD.

I can not monitor that site anymore since the old Seminole County omnidirectional transmit antennas were swapped out for directional antennas.
The antennas on this tower are dipole omnidirectional antennas.

Also are the transmissions Phase 1 or Phase 2?
The limited traffic I have heard have been P1

alanlungs2

I submitted the information on Debary Station 33 using the Seminole P-25. It is only used when responding south of Dirksen which still lightly populated so there are not many calls to the area. But hat is fixing to change with a lot of development scheduled to take place in the near future. Besides the fact I heard of some issues this past week with the system.

I was on I-4 the other day and heard SO traffic in Deltona on TG 104 Phase 1 on the Sanford site. Nothing in the database. Not sure if this is a simulcast of Zones 4 and 6, or a stand-alone. It sounded as good as analog EDACS, but I lost the site around 44.

What TGs are fire on?

That's too bad. The AMBE audio that I've heard sounds much richer than the tinny, nasty stuff emanating from an EDACS radio. It could do with some amplitude companding, but life aint perfect. :p

If it's patched from analog Zone 4 and 6 through their VIDA matrix out to the P25, that might account for the similar sound. They seem to have a problem with one voicepath having a ringing sound, otherwise I think the old system works pretty well.

At least it didn't sound like a MED channel patch.

After having this in my scanner for a couple of weeks, I just caught traffic on TG104 which sounds like this earlier report.

I'm not in that area often enough to confirm if they're hard-patched into one of the TGs in the main EDACS system or if they're stand-alone. Or, maybe they need to affiliate into the P25 system based on RSSI (when the EDACS system gets spotty, the radio scans over to the P25? Maybe?). Either way, so far no one has put it in the database. There's nothing in there about fire TGs, either.

edweirdFL

I heard some more traffic on the system today using talkgroups in addition to 104.

TG 114 was used for a conversation but I couldn't figure out the users. It sounded like LE to me.

TG 302 was being used for Fire Engine and Medic Dispatches in Deland and Debarry. Units that I heard dispatched in a couple hours of monitoring included Rescue 56, and Engines 32, 35, and 42. Medic 223 and 245 were also dispatched.

I've currently got this programmed into the same scanner that monitors the analog county trunked systems. I'm going to program a second scanner so I can hear the analog on one and this system on the other to aid in figuring out which talkgroups match up to one another.

Last edited:

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Can someone post the active Control Channel. I could not lock on to the system with my G5. Have to check it against my file.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can someone post the active Control Channel. I could not lock on to the system with my G5. Have to check it against my file.
I braved I-4 last Wednesday and was receiving traffic on TGs 104 and 302, so the channels in the scan list are correct. I think part of the problem is that the site is directional and does not have a lot of coverage outside of that corner of the county. You won't hear it past Lake Helen eastward, and you won't hear it westward into Seminole County. I use a 436HP with an 800 MHz antenna on it, and that current site is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.