Question on PBSO Scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave7933

So they are in the process of upgrading all radios for Encryption capabilities. Does anyone know when they will flip the switch and will it be full time Encryption or just selective. I have enjoyed Scanning since I was a kid and dread the day it goes away. Thanks in advance.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
As of right now, certain talkgroups that we’re always encrypted (OCB, TACT, SRT) remain encrypted. A few additional PD’s have already gone that route on the new system (Delray, Boynton, Riviera and Ocean Ridge). I’m sure others will be going that route as well. I don’t think the system admin is going to specify which agencies or when but enjoy it while it lasts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave7933

Need some feedback please--PBSO upgraded system?

So it is very quiet around here especially since it appears that PBSO went through a system upgrade to Phase II a couple of days ago. I assume that is what happened at least as I am not able to receive the regular dispatch channels any longer. Please confirm that the new Uniden scanners will be able to receive the new system. And how much will be encrypted. Thanks.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yes the PBSO dispatch channels are coming over mostly TDMA now. I believe the Smartzone 813a system will be taken off the air in June as well.

dave7933

Thanks Sig-0 so ....

with that in mind will the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 scanner receive most if not all transmissions? Is most in the clear or encrypted? Thanks again.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Yes, that scanner will decide TDMA (Phase II). However, many scanners suffer from LSM. If you are set on Uniden, I would wait until their SDS-100 is released as it’s a software defined scanner which beta tests are showing good performance. I also recommend Unication G4 or G5 for dual band.

The encrypted channels currently remain the same as the old system for the most part (OCB, SRT, TACT). However,
some agencies on the County simulcast (Riviera Beach PD and Ocean Ridge PD) as well as agencies on their own sites (Delray Beach PD and Boynton Beach PD) have gone full-time encrypted. Boca is still on their site on 813a but I’ve seen them with new APX radios. Haven’t heard when they are moving over but they will also be their own site using the County core.

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I belong to a scanner newsletter eMail group and someone just sent a message today saying that PBSO has pretty much gone fully-encrypted as of right now. Is this true or are their channels still in the clear on a Phase-2 Scanner? Also they said that PBC Fire is planning full-time encrypting soon too. This encryption crap is really making me angry, especially Fire/EMS, Law I can understand somewhat... Anywho, can anyone confirm theee 2 above questions anyways regarding PBSO & PBCFR? Thanks!

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
What I posted above is accurate based on listening right now and Unitrunker.

visegrip72

PBSO is definitely NOT fully encrypted as of today. My TRX is picking up nothing flagged with the big 'E' (encrypted) and the audio is in the clear. I'm sure the ones that were encrypted still are, just not in use at the moment. Boynton encrypts police, but fire is clear. All of this on the P25 system. I just tested can also receive PBSO audio on the old analog system (both on the TRX and the PSR500). Time is ticking though, soon enough the analog will be cut off and I'd bet more encryption will be activated. Boynton must have at least one radio with encryption disabled. I could only hear the one side of the conversation, as the other side was encrypted. All of this today.

dave7933

I just spoke with someone at PBSO. Anyone planning to purchase a scanner anytime soon for this agency save your money. They will be going full encryption soon. I don't know how soon. Did not bother to ask that.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Your source must be better than mine. I was told it was staying pretty much as it is now. Detectives, OCB, SRT, Tact, Specialized units remaining encrypted (which they should be), while regular dispatch remaining in the clear (which they should be). Besides, you can flip a switch or 10-103 if it’s really that sensitive.

dave7933

I spoke with someone in the Radio division. You?

jasonk

Feed Provider
System Changes

I monitor Fire/EMS - and this morning at 0824 was the last transmission captured on the Palm Beach County Motorola Analog System. Does anyone know if they have switched to the P25 system totally ?

Anyone else picking up Fire/EMS ?

Jason

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I monitor Fire/EMS - and this morning at 0824 was the last transmission captured on the Palm Beach County Motorola Analog System. Does anyone know if they have switched to the P25 system totally ?

Anyone else picking up Fire/EMS ?

Jason

Well the last time I checked the plan was June 1 for the switchover so it’s entirely possible that’s what they did today. Expect encryption to be next...

jasonk

Feed Provider
The only thing I am hearing on P25 is dispatch for the County Fire/EMS - no Tac Channels at all. Do we think they went fully encrypted ?

Jason

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
From what I am seeing on DSD+, it seems that fire/rescue is generally using Phase 1 channels, and sheriff is using phase 2. This is just a broad generalization. Most of the traffic is not encrypted. There are a few channels that are encrypted, such as Riviera Beach PD, Ocean Ridge PD, Boynton Beach PD, and Delray Beach PD, as well as some PBSO tac channels.

If you are using a scanner that's only capable of phase 1, then you won't hear any phase 2 talkgroups.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Using HP436 - have loaded the entire P25 System and TG's - only hearing Dispatch for County Fire - am hearing all Boynton Beach FD/EMS just fine. No County Tac Channels for Fire/EMS

Motorola system - not hearing anything on 436 or 996

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.