Brevard County changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
well, i think something is brewing with the brevard system...

over the last week or so, the control channel for the south site (the only one I monitor) has changed from 853.1375.... then to 852.5375... then to 863.5875 and then today (3/4/2018) it's 851.15

I've never known these sites to rotate the control channels....

Anyone have any ingo on what's going on? (perhaps they are replacing some of the system hardware?)

doug

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Can't say what's going on with that system, but just FYI, that's SOP over here on the other coast with the Hillsborough EDACS system. Any channel is a contestant to be the next cc at any given time. I wanna say they change daily, maybe more, maybe less.

Personally, I wish that they wouldn't update the database when an EDACS system changes cc's. Makes it appear that something significant has changed when it really hasn't. If you program an EDACS system correctly, you have all the channels programmed in anyway, so it doesn't really matter if the cc changes (for a scanner, at least).

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
At least on Big-M systems, if there is persistent interference on the input to the control channel, it will switch to another control channel to give mobiles a fighting chance to hit the system. So maybe that site has been experiencing broadband interference on its input frequencies and it's hopping around trying to find a clean one, if EDACS indeed does that.

I know some people whose full-time job it is to hunt down interference on uplinks to cell sites. It's a growing problem with more and more garbage equipment and improperly installed bi-directional amplifiers being installed, so it's a possibility.

TEH

Brevard EDACS system changes

Thanks for the interesting posts on this. Your loggings might or might not be related to the county's pending switch to a digital radio system. I've been unable to get any information on the timetable for the transition or any other details.

Does anyone know the status or timetable for the digital conversion?

thank you.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
What’s with the 4 channels in control on the south tower? I mean I know EDACS changes ever so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
The control channel is supposed to be rotated through several repeaters over time in order to even out the wear and tear that occurs.

Think about it. The CC repeater is transmitting on a 100 percent duty cycle as long as it's doing CC duty. It's best to distribute that wear over several repeaters so as to reduce the risk of just burning up the one that does nothing but transmit ALL THE TIME.

Giving it a break and letting another one do the work is a really good idea.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
You are right on that but never seen it switch on a P25 system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator

the point of my post is that I have never seen the south tower rotate the control channel frequency.

i don't use a Harris/MA-COM portable... just unitrunker and my GRE scanners....

I totally get the rotation of the channel - moto systems did that for the last 30+ years... i just never observed it happening on the brevard system.... that's all.

doug

Status
Not open for further replies.