Brevard County questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
How many PSAP's does Brevard Co have? Where are they?

Why does Brevard Co use so many 10 codes and signals? Good thing I have informational sheets on their 10 codes and signals to keep up. So much for NIMS compliance on plain language even though it is not required but encouraged. I have listened to many counties and agencies around the country and Brevard Co is by far the furthest from using plain language.

TDR-94

Many agencies didn't like the plain language and it eats up talk time,which was the whole purpose of using codes, to try and reduce time.

They also didn't like making it easier for the criminals to know precisely what they are referring too.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
It’s efficient, effective and instinctual. My 42 (1/2) went from only listening to me being on the radio to now herself using the 800mHz system everyday. She had no experience at all using any kind of two-way, let alone Harris Part 90’s. After training and practicing her Signals/10-Codes, she’s now a pro at manually switching Tower Sites all across Brevard from Mims to Grant-Valkaria. It’s just something you get used to after years of being on the radio. It almost becomes cumbersome to use plain English as opposed to signals/codes

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
Ok and a few more questions.
All 10 PSAP's appear to be PD's, if they get a Fire/Rescue call, do they tone out/dispatch the appropriate BCRF unit(s) or do they need to transfer the 911 call?

Is a Cocoa Beach PD car on patrol, on their own proprietary talk group or are they on the appropriate BCSO talk group? thanks

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Ok and a few more questions.
All 10 PSAP's appear to be PD's, if they get a Fire/Rescue call, do they tone out/dispatch the appropriate BCRF unit(s) or do they need to transfer the 911 call?

Is a Cocoa Beach PD car on patrol, on their own proprietary talk group or are they on the appropriate BCSO talk group? thanks

No. There are medical/FR PSAPs. Usually you'll get picked up by a LE PSAP, then if FR is needed, they write up the call as necessitating FR and link them/send the call to them. Then they may transfer you to the FR PSAP or add them in. You'll find you'll get transferred A LOT in Brevard. Because so many jurisdictional boundaries overlap and have weird boundaries between agencies, you'll get bounced around a ton while they're determining whose call it should be.

As to question #2, some agencies run combined LE & FR on their talkgroups. Most don't because of their size and traffic load. I believe one of the agencies beachside under the "Beaches" section on RR runs combined FR and LE on their lone talkgroup. They can get away with this because of the small size/jurisidction size of the agency and lack of constant traffic as opposed to bigger agencies like BCSO, Palm Bay or Melbourne. These bigger agencies run their FR on separate talkgroups. Cocoa Beach has their own talkgroup specific for their comms. Sometimes beachside departments may get dispatched/transferred a call on "Beaches=> Info 4" Which if I'm not mistaken all beachside agencies listen to in addition to CountyWide. Because BCSO overlaps with many beachside jurisdictions, they sometimes interop/dual-dispatch calls.

For example, a recent shooting took place in Indian Harbour 1 block north of Eau Gallie Blvd and A1A. Originally BCSO South had the call as they thought it took place in their jurisdiction. However, it became apparent that the actual incident scene was 1 block North. That little shift North caused it to be in Indian Harbour jurisdiction. Thus you had units from BCSO south and Indian Harbour working the same call because the scene overlapped boundaries.

They eventually patched into CountyWide and were able to talk with each other.

Gadgetmann

Premium Subscriber
A question on tower sites, I know they have the 3 simulcast sites listed......North, South and Beach. I assume they have more than just 3 towers in the County, How many towers are there and are they all simulcast(tx and rx) or do they also have aux rx only sites too? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.