Unication G4 on Apopka System

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsh1885

I bought a Unication G4 (phase 1 & 2) a while back to get away from the simulcast issues my Uniden 325 and 996 had and it has performed flawlessly. I receive Orange, Seminole real well and Osceola pretty well as I am a good distance from Osceola as I am near the Orange/Seminole county line. One thing that has me perplexed as I had the Maitland site of the Apopka system programmed into my G4 and I can't get any signal at all? I know the Apopka system is mostly encrypted but there are a few talkgroups you can still get. Does anybody have any ideas or any experience with this?

troymail

Silent Key
I bought a Unication G4 (phase 1 & 2) a while back to get away from the simulcast issues my Uniden 325 and 996 had and it has performed flawlessly. I receive Orange, Seminole real well and Osceola pretty well as I am a good distance from Osceola as I am near the Orange/Seminole county line. One thing that has me perplexed as I had the Maitland site of the Apopka system programmed into my G4 and I can't get any signal at all? I know the Apopka system is mostly encrypted but there are a few talkgroups you can still get. Does anybody have any ideas or any experience with this?

Typically, this sounds like it would be a system parms (WACN, SysID, etc.) or site parm (RFSS, site) problem (assuming you are in range of the system).

Can you receive that system (at least a little) on another radio? If so, which radio and how was the system programmed into that radio?

lsh1885

I assume I am in range. According to radio reference the WACN is BEE00, SYS ID IS 35A, RFSS IS 1, site 3 (interesting that it is site 3 since there is no site 2) does it matter that this not a simulcast system?

lsh1885

Maybe I am not in range I don't know but the Maitland site is definitely closer than Osceola county which I do get. Anyway I tried it again and the G4 still won't lock on to the control channel and I get the "out of range" display.. Thanks troymail this is not a system I would be monitoring very much anyway.

james32746

Premium Subscriber
Apopka's RFSS is 4 not 1

Also site 2 used to be for Winter Park but they were dissatisfied with the Apopka system and rejoined Orange County as site 6 of that system.

lsh1885

I apologize guys, I guess I am just from the old days when all you needed to worry about was frequencies and talkgroups when programming trunked systems I didn't even know what RFSS was until recently. Anyway I did submit the correction to radio reference.

troymail

Silent Key
I apologize guys, I guess I am just from the old days when all you needed to worry about was frequencies and talkgroups when programming trunked systems I didn't even know what RFSS was until recently. Anyway I did submit the correction to radio reference.

Excellent. Thanks.

BTW - the nice thing about Unication using more than just the frequency is that it gives you more control over which site(s) you might allow your Gx to try to find and monitor... this is particularly important on large (e.g. statewide) systems where there is lots of frequency reuse. I'd encountered situations for NC VIPER where the area seems like a dead zone. I had the entire system programmed into my G5 and the radio tried so hard, it ended up locking onto a site that was almost 60 miles away (the radio tells you which RFSS/site is currently receiving).

Additionally, these little radios can pick up signals at fairly long distances and in some places there is even frequency reuse in other states not that far away (probably not an issue in central Florida but a big deal in small states). In fact, for a time, there were two systems in Maryland (one state and one county but with towers at opposite ends of the county) in the same county that were using a common 700mhz frequency. On the scanners, it appeared that county talkgroups were appearing on the state system -- but only because none of the scanners used the system parms to keep them separate (note: I believe they've recently swapped out that common frequency).

The nice thing is that users have the option to use the actually values or simply wildcard...

Status
Not open for further replies.