Brevard County 2m/70cm activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I've spent the better part of yesterday as well as all day so far monitoring the ham repeater feed for Brevard and haven't heard much of anything other than a few kerchunks.

Are those two bands really that dead these days? I haven't fired up a rig much lately - trying to figure whether it's worth the time and money investment to get back on the air!

73s,

KI4LIV

Last edited:

BlueMoon2

Premium Subscriber
With the exception of a few nets during the week and the drive to work morning/evening, same in va

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
I've spent the better part of yesterday as well as all day so far monitoring the ham repeater feed for Brevard and haven't heard much of anything other than a few kerchunks.

Are those two bands really that dead these days? I haven't fired up a rig much lately - trying to figure whether it's worth the time and money investment to get back on the air!

73s,

KI4LIV

I go to Brevard County quite often and a few weeks ago when I was down the only repeaters I could make contacts on were the 147.330 and 147.360 repeaters in Titusville. I also made a brief contact on the 145.370 repeater in Cocoa, however the guy that answered me only asked if I had an emergency and then cleared the air after I said no. Not sure what all that was about. When I lived in Titusville a few years ago the entire county had a very active ham community on 2M. Especially for ARES and just normal talk. BEARS used to be very active with bringing the different ARES groups and ham clubs together so they could coordinate for county wide emergencies. Now nobody seams to know anything about BEARS or what’s going on with them.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA - WQPN413
"I’m just here for the radios ok?”

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
It's been a few years myself since I turned on anything other than a HT... There used to be quite a bit of activity!

I actually only got my ticket to make my scanners legal in the car, so, no skin off my teeth if there's not 2m/70cm activity... If it's truly dead maybe I'll just sell off my rig... maybe not though LOL

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
TARC and Bears is a joke..you have my repeaters in Titusville

147.360 107.2
442.850 Fusion/Analog 107.2
444.150 CC1 DMR
224.520 107.2

Sitting on top of Parrish Hospital in Titusville

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Brevard is incredibly close to dead as far as amateur repeater activity is concerned.

There are very few people who use the repeaters and they've probably said about all to each other that there is to be said. There are only so many times people can tell each other about their ailments and what they had for their last meal before EVERYBODY get bored.

You'll have more luck getting on 52 and seeing if anybody's on. Try it in digital mode, and you'll soon hear an "elder" operator grousing about using digital on his channel.

K4DPA

Dawson A
Premium Subscriber
TARC and Bears is a joke..you have my repeaters in Titusville

147.360 107.2
442.850 Fusion/Analog 107.2
444.150 CC1 DMR
224.520 107.2

Sitting on top of Parrish Hospital in Titusville

I was on the 147.360 and 147.330 repeaters in Titusville a few weeks ago. I spoke to two different men. You may have been one of them. TARC used to have a 146.910 repeater years ago. It’s gone now.

-Dawson Adams
K4DPA - WQPN413
"I’m just here for the radios ok?”

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yeah 91 is back up..and 97 is messed up now and 775 is dead

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
All the analog repeaters all over Florida are pretty quiet. DMR is the flavor of the day and that is where all the activity is, especially when you have get an analog/DMR MD-380 for $85.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I lived on Merritt Island in '95 and it was pretty dead at that time. I moved across the state to Holiday (Pasco County north of Clearwater/Tampa) and that was pretty active. Orlando was very busy, a lot of taxi/shuttle/limo drivers were hams and they were on all day. It's been yrs but I think the reprtr was 146.820? They had the Central Florida Listener's Net every Sunday night @ 8pm and man was that a busy net. Lots of amateur radio fun in Otown and Tampa area, not so much in Brevard.

KI4LIV

Premium Subscriber
I've got absolutely zero interest in DMR... If I wanted to do that, I'd go join an IRC chat room on the internet as that's basically what they are (to me - I know that's not what they are but that's what I equate them to). So, nothing analog in central or south brevard? I remember when 146.940 and 147.135 were very routinely active - I don't think either of them are even up anymore - surprising since one of them is the county EOC's repeater.

Looking at Brevard , Brevard County amateur radio repeaters , you'd swear we were extremely active but every repeater guide I find anyone online is extremely out of date.

Last edited:

TDR-94

Brevard is incredibly close to dead as far as amateur repeater activity is concerned.

There are very few people who use the repeaters and they've probably said about all to each other that there is to be said. There are only so many times people can tell each other about their ailments and what they had for their last meal before EVERYBODY get bored.

There was a doozy of an ailment discussion yesterday. Who had the most bypasses lol!

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
well, interesting reading. I concur, the activity in Brevard is pretty much zero. As someone who has lived here on/off since the mid-90s ---- I can attest to the "old guard" - the first iteration of which is long gone... but has now been replaced with a bunch of codgers who are even worse (as these guys had the internet during their "i'm still working" phase of their life) The *ONLY* activity I hear is DMR, the KC2UHF 444.775 and K2DJN 444.575 --- I have not heard an FM QSO in over 2 years... then again, I don't listen much. The ham politics of Brevard are too much to bear.... and concur on ailments, dinner buffet reports, etc.

Last edited:

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
You still have N4TDX repeaters in Titusville I know because I maintain them!

batdude

Florida Db Admin / Florida Forum Moderator
You still have N4TDX repeaters in Titusville I know because I maintain them!

unless they are at 600+ ft, no way I can work them from where I live. for the record, my "DMR" is an Anytone dual band HT. If my HT can't hear the repeater from the inside of my home, then the liklihood of me working it = Zero point Zero.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
Yeah 850 works good so does 750 but DMR 444.150 has a blown PA and I have to fix it

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
If you guys want to act like babies please do so somewhere else...jeez...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.