Hillsborough County - Upcoming Sheriff Race

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesburlander

Premium Subscriber
I work in the media, and we had Gary Pruitt - who is running for Hillsborough Co Sheriff (DEM) - in the studio today. I asked him his opinion regarding encryption... he is fully about going all encrypted. He believes it's bad for the "media" to be looking over officers shoulders - and believes the media wants to beat them to the scene to see how officers react to certain crimes.

He stated that even the dispatch channels should all be encrypted.

Just wanted to give heads up on his stance of it all.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I guess the encryption issue has it's pros and cons like everything else. Some, like this example, who want everything hidden from the public, while many other Chiefs and Sheriffs permit open communications, including some 100 Official Feeds provided to Broadcastify by the agencies themselves. It lust leads me to believe there is more to it if you are hiding something from the public.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I guess the encryption issue has it's pros and cons like everything else. Some, like this example, who want everything hidden from the public, while many other Chiefs and Sheriffs permit open communications, including some 100 Official Feeds provided to Broadcastify by the agencies themselves. It lust leads me to believe there is more to it if you are hiding something from the public.

+1 I agree. Seems more and more big E is going everywhere.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I work in the media, and we had Gary Pruitt - who is running for Hillsborough Co Sheriff (DEM) - in the studio today. I asked him his opinion regarding encryption... he is fully about going all encrypted. He believes it's bad for the "media" to be looking over officers shoulders - and believes the media wants to beat them to the scene to see how officers react to certain crimes.

He stated that even the dispatch channels should all be encrypted.

Just wanted to give heads up on his stance of it all.

Thanks for the heads up. I asked several weeks ago about their plans for encryption when they move to P25. My request was acknowledged but no one ever got back to me. Therefore I can't say what the current sheriff's opinion is but I'm concerned nonetheless.

Blanket encryption is a threat towards transparency despite what other methods an agency uses to share information. Ultimately the public will suffer once the government has the ability to decide what is news or not. Some areas are already like that but the media is afraid to call them out on it... as to not ruin a relationship.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
It's a perfect case to set an example, a good attack point against his campaign

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Spec

Whether you vote for him or not I believe it is the future. Media should focus on reporting not ambulance chasing. So many things often are not what they seem pertaining to the initial dispatch. Media more times than not seems to pick the juicy parts and not what really happens. IF you think about it what has caused encryption to get to this point. Here in a certain part of SC encryption has cut a lot of BS out of the picture and increased officer safety and the public safety.

What Are You Trying To Hide..!..?

"W8RMH said in part...

It lust leads me to believe there is more to it if you are hiding something from the public.

I totally agree with the above statement. If you've nothing to hide.......

The same holds true when it comes to body cameras on LEO's. The county I live in the Sheriff is opposed to any body cameras. The thing I find interesting, it seems like whenever there's a situation and the body camera shows the LEO in a good light, the video is released immediately... but then again, when it's questionable as to the actions of the LEO, it seems to take weeks and weeks (and sometimes months) for the camera video to be released to the public... and even then only after a court order is obtained.

What are you trying to hide..!..?

73 to ya...

BaoFeng Blogger KN4OTS

ten13

Premium Subscriber
You really can't blame him for wanting to go "all encrypted."

And while I think his reasoning is a little off, you can't blame him for that, either.

The mainstream media...and a lot of local media...have decided that it's best for their ratings to do what Pruitt suggests: the media tries to get there early and attempts to make every police-involved incident the "fault" of the cops, with the "incident" being interpreted through the eyes of unknowing reporters and neighborhood rabblerousers, and not through the mandates of the law.

There was a time that the police didn't want criminals monitoring police radio, for obvious reasons. But now there's a higher priority: to prevent anarchy in the streets and political upheaval in government from Fake News.

As I say, for that reason, you can't blame him.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Concur

+1 I agree. Seems more and more big E is going everywhere.

In Waco, Baylor University has been having difficulties with an onslaught of lawsuits secondary to sexual misbehavior. Baylor uses AES encryption. I wonder why?

Many cite officer safety as a reason for encryption. But, there is very little evidence to support the contention that direct monitoring on a police scanner has anything to do with officer safety.

In Waco, we had a fairly large shootout between two rival gangs, the Cossacks & Bandidos.

Guess what? No encryption, no officers were harmed. If you want to hear the unedited tapes, which included the surveillance prior to the event, let me know & I will drop a hyperlink.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Here in a certain part of SC encryption has cut a lot of BS out of the picture and increased officer safety and the public safety.

Do you have any statistics relating to encryption increasing officer and public safety? I ask because it is cited often but never really proven. If law enforcement are complaining about fake news they need to stop engineering their own in my opinion.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I disagree
Whether you vote for him or not I believe it is the future. Media should focus on reporting not ambulance chasing. So many things often are not what they seem pertaining to the initial dispatch. Media more times than not seems to pick the juicy parts and not what really happens. IF you think about it what has caused encryption to get to this point. Here in a certain part of SC encryption has cut a lot of BS out of the picture and increased officer safety and the public safety.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It’s an officer safety issue. Bad guys shouldn’t have access to your comms. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
Where are the facts though? Just because you say “period” doesn’t mean your statement holds any truth whatsoever nor ends the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.