Forums Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Lots of new forums and changes.... enjoy!

Let the *****ing begin!!

:)

Tomorrow, I'll be rolling out Metro Area forums in the state forums... so places like Chicago, LA, DFW, and other large metro areas can have their own places to discuss topics specific to their metro areas.

Have fun!

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Wow, all I have to say is......Wow there is a LOT of sub forums added! My eyes can't handle all of it at first! Too many sub topics!

N

N_Jay

Seems some admins like lots of forums and some admins like less.

This might make more work for the Mods as the more forums you have the more often a thread will drift from one forum topic to another.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Seems some admins like lots of forums and some admins like less.

This might make more work for the Mods as the more forums you have the more often a thread will drift from one forum topic to another.

Us Mods are up for the challenge!
We adjust as Radioreference.com matures and expands.
Great stuff!
Marshall KE4ZNR

DonS

Minor *****, and it's only due to how I use the forums...

I used to be able to view the forums interesting to me (Software, Streaming, GRE, RadioShack) on one, relatively small, IE page. Now, though, they're so far apart that I have to PgUp/PgDn.

N

N_Jay

No ***** for me, as I usually use the "New Posts" feature, and more forum should not really change the rate of new threads.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Now I see why you created a full-time forum admin!

At first I was surprised (shocked!) how much you revamped the Wasteland, but I can see how it will help with legit discussions.

Kudos on the Amateur forums!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

I used to be able to view the forums interesting to me (Software, Streaming, GRE, RadioShack) on one, relatively small, IE page. Now, though, they're so far apart that I have to PgUp/PgDn.

I would encourage you to use the subscribed forums feature on your userCP:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/usercp.php

You can subscribe to forums that are important to you by using the "Subscribe to Forum" feature in the Forum Tools Menu on each individual forum page.

Enjoy!

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
One More Comment

That's a lot of forums and scrolling, but thinking especially more about new members who are trying to digest everything.

How about creating a "Forum Site Map" -> one page that requires no scrolling, that has links to all the forums in the old "site map" style. Then you'd get a bird's-eye view of all the forums.

AlmostHandy

Hey don, try this.
You can minimize, or close, the sections you don't want to read. In the dark blue title bar, such as where it says "Site Administration Forums", way over on the right on that bar, is a little double arrow inside of a circle. If you click it, it will shrink up that section, effectively shrinking the length of your page.

There are several that I don't bother to look at too often, so I keep them closed.

DonS

I would encourage you to use the subscribed forums feature on your userCP:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/usercp.php

You can subscribe to forums that are important to you by using the "Subscribe to Forum" feature in the Forum Tools Menu on each individual forum page.

Enjoy!

Has that feature changed from how it used to be? IIRC, the previous implementation only gave me the option of getting a "daily digest" via email (which was worthless if I wanted to watch forums and respond to posts in a timely manner), or maybe looking at "subscribed forums" in the user CP (which was cumbersome if I wanted to look at "my interesting" forums 75% of the time, but "all forums" occasionally.

A subsequent post above by AlmostHandy might be exactly what I need. Is this feature new? I don't remember seeing it before.

(Of course, none of this is a "serious *****" - it was just a surprise to see things spread apart in the new arrangement/hierarchy).

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Subscribe to *forum* and the subscribe to "thread" are two different beasts.

I'm speaking of the subscribe to forum.

AlmostHandy has another good one as well.

Good thing this wasn't a serious *****, otherwise I might have to go off... you are right, it's a minor *****. ;)

DonS

Hey don, try this.
You can minimize, or close, the sections you don't want to read. In the dark blue title bar, such as where it says "Site Administration Forums", way over on the right on that bar, is a little double arrow inside of a circle. If you click it, it will shrink up that section, effectively shrinking the length of your page.
Just did that, and now I can get my "interesting" forums on one page. Beauty

Thanks!

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator

At first I was surprised (shocked!) how much you revamped the Wasteland, but I can see how it will help with legit discussions.

You might have noticed that I renamed the Wasteland back to the Tavern.

I've learned an important lesson from our community - and that is that like minded people like to discuss amongst themselves... many times things that aren't related to radios.

Understand though that the Tavern will be largely un-moderated except for site TOS violations.. so keep that in mind when you participate.

DonS

The Subscribe to *forum* and the subscribe to "thread" are two different beasts.

I'm speaking of the subscribe to forum.
I know.

Based on forum behavior as of last week:
* "Subscribe to thread" gave me the option of an email for each new post (and I use that for threads in which I've participated)
* "Subscribe to forum", as far as I could see, gave me an option of a "daily digest"-type email, not an email for every new post, in every thread.

If I wanted to instantaneously see new activity in my set of "interesting" forums, I'd just hit the F5 key on my keyboard. I didn't have to subscribe to anything.

If the two "bullet points" above haven't changed, then I can't do that F5-to-see-new-activity action for my "interesting forums" any more - unless I use (and I now do) AlmostHandy's great suggestion.

Am I missing anything?

nd5y

I don't understand forum subscription either.
I subscribed to two of them just to see how it works (without email notification) but I can't find them anyplace.
The main page still looks the same.
Do they show up someplace else?

DonS

I don't understand forum subscription either.
I subscribed to two of them just to see how it works (without email notification) but the main page still looks the same.
Do they show up someplace else?

I think they [always did] show up in your "User CP", along with subscribed threads. This is a guess, though, as I've never actually used "subscribe to forum".

Status
Not open for further replies.