Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are attachments that I would like to delete and I can't select them to delete them. Is there another way I can get rid of them from my User CP?? These attachments are from old and long gone threads (for sale/trade pictures).

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
There are attachments that I would like to delete and I can't select them to delete them. Is there another way I can get rid of them from my User CP?? These attachments are from old and long gone threads (for sale/trade pictures).
User CP>scroll to bottom select Attachments.

I can get to where it shows what attachments I have uploaded. But there are 15 pictures from threads where I've tried to sell radios, and those are the ones I CAN'T select. I CAN select the ones taken of my mobile install and home radios.

It's almost like I can't select the attachments associated with threads that have been closed for so long that they (the threads) are dead.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Yup, I have an image loaded on 06-13-2006, 07:32 PM which I can't get rid of. Every thing else has a check box for removing.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I can get to where it shows what attachments I have uploaded. But there are 15 pictures from threads where I've tried to sell radios, and those are the ones I CAN'T select. I CAN select the ones taken of my mobile install and home radios.

It's almost like I can't select the attachments associated with threads that have been closed for so long that they (the threads) are dead.
In this instance it is not because they are old or closed (although I think being closed will block also, see below), it is because they are in the classified section and you are not allowed to edit classified posts in any way.

Yup, I have an image loaded on 06-13-2006, 07:32 PM which I can't get rid of. Every thing else has a check box for removing.
In your instance, if this is the post you are referring to, I think it is because the thread is closed. If you want, I could open the thread and you can try to get rid of the attachment then I can re-close the thread.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
In this instance it is not because they are old or closed (although I think being closed will block also, see below), it is because they are in the classified section and you are not allowed to edit classified posts in any way.

In your instance, if this is the post you are referring to, I think it is because the thread is closed. If you want, I could open the thread and you can try to get rid of the attachment then I can re-close the thread.
Kind of you to offer Lou but that isn't necessary. I prune old images now and then so never have problem with limits.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
This issue has come up before and I painstakingly went back and removed all the attachments. I stated I would not do it again. Lou, if you want to do it it's your choice but this is not something I want to become a habit. If members would like to control their attachments then I recommend using off-site hosting.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps you can just clear attachments that are more than say 18 months old completely off the server? I've noticed too that at times I'm approaching the "red" zone or area for attachments. Or like earlier mentioned when a thread shows no activity say after six months all the attachments are stripped off the site. I know it'd probably help save some server space in the long run. As for how easy it is to incorporate that into vBulletin and the site, I'm not sure.

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Taking a quick look there does appear to be an option for pemiting the deletion of attachments if a thread has been closed or post editing is not allowed. I'm not sure if there's anything beyond that.

And server space as far as attachments goes is a non-issue, at least for members to be concerned about.

This issue has come up before and I painstakingly went back and removed all the attachments. I stated I would not do it again. Lou, if you want to do it it's your choice but this is not something I want to become a habit. If members would like to control their attachments then I recommend using off-site hosting.

I can use off-site hosting. I have online storage and other hosting if needed. It's just that sometimes it's easier to use the attachments option here when I'm in a hurry rather than type the post, type the http address for the photo, startup my ftp program, locate and upload the file, then submit the post.

If deleting those files is something that is just not possible, then that's ok. I'll deal with it. I was just wondering if there was a reason why those photos couldn't be deleted other than the fact they were in classified posts.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...I was just wondering if there was a reason why those photos couldn't be deleted other than the fact they were in classified posts.
I think "closed" and/or "classified" are the only reasons you as a member cannot access the thread, and hence your attachments.

WouffHong

Red space

Taking a quick look there does appear to be an option for pemiting the deletion of attachments if a thread has been closed or post editing is not allowed. I'm not sure if there's anything beyond that.

And server space as far as attachments goes is a non-issue, at least for members to be concerned about.

However, the whole point of this query is: "what do we do if approaching the limit and CANNOT delete the non-needed attachments it is counting towards the limit"?

Will we then be disallowed from using attachments by an automatic process that WE cannot apply a remedy to (i.e. delete our no-longer-needed attachments)?? :confused:
Mac

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
However, the whole point of this query is: "what do we do if approaching the limit and CANNOT delete the non-needed attachments it is counting towards the limit"?

Will we then be disallowed from using attachments by an automatic process that WE cannot apply a remedy to (i.e. delete our no-longer-needed attachments)?? :confused:
Mac

Mac-
I would think that Bernie Madoff has a better chance of getting out of jail alive than we do of running out of space. :)
In other words I am sure this is not anything we have to worry about.
Marshall KE4ZNR

WouffHong

Nope - NEVER was worried about Space available on RR HD's itself! - The question revolves around a belief that when the Attachment space used BAR reaches far right (red), WE, the user, will no longer BE ALLOWED to make an attachment. ? 8 -)

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Well, if you sell the occasional item here on RR and choose to show a picture of it as an attachment, this should not be a problem. If you are constantly selling as your main reason for being here, then host your pictures elsewhere. We are not going to allow users to change the history (and that includes deleting the pictures) in the classified.

WouffHong

Selling?

Well, if you sell the occasional item here on RR and choose to show a picture of it as an attachment, this should not be a problem. If you are constantly selling as your main reason for being here, then host your pictures elsewhere. We are not going to allow users to change the history (and that includes deleting the pictures) in the classified.

IF that is addresssed to ME, I don't sell here - Check people's histories before making accusative posts like that. I share information and occasional shack pictures, NOT items for sale, lou.. Again: if you are referring to ME, Lou, you owe me an apology.
I did NOT deserve that response. :roll:
tom

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

IF that is addresssed to ME, I don't sell here - Check people's histories before making accusative posts like that. I share information and occasional shack pictures, NOT items for sale, lou.. Again: if you are referring to ME, Lou, you owe me an apology.
I did NOT deserve that response. :roll:
tom
Tom,
I owe you no such thing. I didn't say you sold items, I also (earlier in this thread) explained there was nothing blocking anyone from deleting items from any post except the classified or closed threads. If you share your shack pictures, go delete them to your hearts content.

You asked for an explanation of what would happen, I answered it should not be a problem unless you were a big user of the classified. I was answering your question, not making an accusation (unlike yours above). Again, I owe you nothing for something you chose to interpret incorrectly.

WouffHong

Understand, Lou.. BUT: Did you not notice the big "IF"'s?? - I know that would have been out of character for you to slam-dunk anyone, but it WAS immediately after my post in the sequence, and it was natural to ASSume it was a meant to be an anwer or response TO my post. :)
Hasty response on my part.. :-(
As a Moderator/owner of some 13 groups over on YAHOO, I should be more understanding, and I apologize myself.
Tom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.