Location, Location, Location!

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Several months ago I suggested to Lindsay that he add language to the new member registration process to direct the registering party to enter a location with an admonition not to make it a smart aleck, GPS, or other non-useful answer. Lindsay agreed at that time because so many questions come from newbies right off about programming and they do not list their location. It is such a problem that there is now a sticky thread in the Newbie Forum admonishing them to enter a location. Yet they are still not adding that information to their profile because I don't think they even see it!

With a "new Web site" up, I think the opportunity is here to add that language specifically directing them to the location entry (make it a required field or fields (city or county & state) during registration). Each newbie is moderated for his/her first two or three posts, so why can't a moderator point that out to the newbie as a backup to the registration process? This is a problem. Time and posts are wasted continually when the locations are not added to the profiles.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Consider This

Several months ago I suggested to Lindsay that he add language to the new member registration process to direct the registering party to enter a location with an admonition not to make it a smart aleck, GPS, or other non-useful answer. Lindsay agreed at that time because so many questions come from newbies right off about programming and they do not list their location. It is such a problem that there is now a sticky thread in the Newbie Forum admonishing them to enter a location. Yet they are still not adding that information to their profile because I don't think they even see it!

With a "new Web site" up, I think the opportunity is here to add that language specifically directing them to the location entry (make it a required field or fields (city or county & state) during registration). Each newbie is moderated for his/her first two or three posts, so why can't a moderator point that out to the newbie as a backup to the registration process? This is a problem. Time and posts are wasted continually when the locations are not added to the profiles.
Whereas I agree with the principle you put forth and indeed if someone is asking for help then it is certainly necessary (in most cases) to know where they are, there is a problem with a "requirement" for the information. That problem becomes evident when you consider that some people on this board cannot afford for their location to be known, just as there are some people who hide behind a fake name UserID. :)

In my case, both my real name and my real location is there for all to see, but there were times in the past that would not have worked. Maybe if I worked for a PS entity and they found out I was passing information on, it could endanger my job. We have had (and I am sure we will have in the future) people who have lost their jobs because of their participation on this site, even though they had not shared confidential information. We (the staff) have always cautioned people about posting inside information or placing their livelihood in jeopardy.

So, as I agree in principle with your need to know information to help people, requiring such information is just not the way to go. All we can do is encourage those that need help to supply as much as they can to begin with, and if they don't, well then just spend the extra time asking for it so that they can be helped.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You could put a note in the User Profile section that the location information is not required, unless they will be seeking area specific information and assistance.

Then if someone post a question regarding something specific to their area and they haven't submitted the required information in their profile, or question, just ignore them. Problem solved!

qlajlu

Silent Key
Whereas I agree with the principle you put forth and indeed if someone is asking for help then it is certainly necessary (in most cases) to know where they are, there is a problem with a "requirement" for the information. That problem becomes evident when you consider that some people on this board cannot afford for their location to be known, just as there are some people who hide behind a fake name UserID. :)
I have a lot of respect for you Lou Maag, as well as the rest of the Admins and Mods, but the implication here is absolutely not called for. I use a pseudonym as do most HAMs that are proud of their licenses (and they should be) along with probably 80% or more of the rest of the users. Using a pseudonym as a User ID does not rise to the level of needing to know a location in conducting most of the day-to-day business that occurs on this Web site concerning a poster's location in relation to systems, transmission towers, frequencies in use, etc.

In my case, both my real name and my real location is there for all to see, but there were times in the past that would not have worked. Maybe if I worked for a PS entity and they found out I was passing information on, it could endanger my job. We have had (and I am sure we will have in the future) people who have lost their jobs because of their participation on this site, even though they had not shared confidential information. We (the staff) have always cautioned people about posting inside information or placing their livelihood in jeopardy.
Okay, I'll give you this one by agreeing with you on this point, but this is the exception, not run-of-the-mill.

So, as I agree in principle with your need to know information to help people, requiring such information is just not the way to go. All we can do is encourage those that need help to supply as much as they can to begin with, and if they don't, well then just spend the extra time asking for it so that they can be helped.
This is exactly what I have been doing and I have had extraordinary luck in having new members fill in their location by just asking them to do so and I will continue asking. In fact, I am batting 1,000, so I still stand by my original request from some months ago, that stronger language could be used during the registration process to have them indicate a location. I know I'll probably be knocked down even on this point. Location is a crucial bit of information in the majority of posts and you even agree with that. I feel that the administrators of this site could be much more helpful in this regard by adding language admonishing the registrant that declaring a location is not required, but he will be asked for it over and over so why not fill it in during registration.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
I have a lot of respect for you Lou Maag, as well as the rest of the Admins and Mods, but the implication here is absolutely not called for. I use a pseudonym as do most HAMs that are proud of their licenses (and they should be) along with probably 80% or more of the rest of the users. Using a pseudonym as a User ID does not rise to the level of needing to know a location in conducting most of the day-to-day business that occurs on this Web site concerning a poster's location in relation to systems, transmission towers, frequencies in use, etc.
I am sorry you took offense at that, I was merely poking at you a bit, please accept my appology. I am afraid I don't understand what being a ham has to do with it though, I am a ham, and all I am is a bit more circumspect about handing out my call sign; I certainly expect people to be able to find me if they want to. I will also take issue with you position that the "day to day" business of this site has anything to do with where you are located. The actual "day to day" business of this site deals with the database...the forums are a side line at best.

Okay, I'll give you this one by agreeing with you on this point, but this is the exception, not run-of-the-mill.
Well, losing a job is an exception, I will grant you; however, problems of a lesser magnitude are not the exception. I will not (can not for that matter) give you examples, but if you have the respect you claim, take me at my word that if we required a location as you suggested in your OP, then we would have fake ones put it because of that.

This is exactly what I have been doing and I have had extraordinary luck in having new members fill in their location by just asking them to do so and I will continue asking. In fact, I am batting 1,000, so I still stand by my original request from some months ago, that stronger language could be used during the registration process to have them indicate a location. I know I'll probably be knocked down even on this point. Location is a crucial bit of information in the majority of posts and you even agree with that. I feel that the administrators of this site could be much more helpful in this regard by adding language admonishing the registrant that declaring a location is not required, but he will be asked for it over and over so why not fill it in during registration.
I think that the new user registration welcome email is basically the same as a copy I have from October of last year. It may have changed slightly; however, please note that a request for stating your location is included in it. See the attachment, it is in text form here but sent in HTML.

This topic started with you suggesting that the location information be required, that is not going to happen. As a site, we can only request that users fill it out; as people interested in helping others, all we can do is request the information when it is not provided.

Attachments

• NewUserEmail 200810.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 208

qlajlu

Silent Key
Thank you. It has been a few years since I registered so I did not remember what was included in the confirmation e-mail.

W6KRU

I think that it is very helpful for someone asking questions about freqs. to put their location in their profile and it eliminates the obvious first question. However, I think that it is a bit of a reach to require it. JMHO

D

DaveNF2G

For many information requests, a regional identification would be enough. In my case, I could just as well list "eastern New York" and it would narrow down my location sufficiently for many (but not all) information requests that I could make.

For shortwave listeners, a location like "east of the Mississippi" might be good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.