Posting pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brebuck

I have a pdf (5MB) that I would like to post in the uniden forum re: BCD396xt quick start guide but apparently file size is restricted to 195kB.

Any suggestions?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have a pdf (5MB) that I would like to post in the uniden forum re: BCD396xt quick start guide but apparently file size is restricted to 195kB.

Any suggestions?

If what you have is Uniden's Complete Reference guide to the BCD396xt, that document already has been linked to via both the forums and the Wiki.
If you yourself put together a several hundred page 396XT document then by all means host it somewhere and link to it.
But I have a feeling this is the Complete Reference Guide which has already been covered.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Brebuck

Totally new document

This is a quick-start guide that I wrote/compiled, not the complete ref. guide.
Its only 4 pages and I'm not sure why the file size is so large after I converted it to a pdf.
I've never really had a reason to concern myself with or even notice file size but 5MB is
ridiculous.
The document addresses the principal questions that confronted me as soon as I unpacked the scanner.
I think this guide would alleviate a lot of the stress/frustration when a new user is anxious to start to
put a $500 investment to use.

Last edited:

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Thread moved to the Forums Administration forum. Please make note of the Sticky in the Overall forum.

selgaran

Does your document contain images? Oversized images are the biggest culprit in bloated PDF files. Depending on the PDF software you used to create the document, you can change the settings to reduce the image resolution, or you may need to resize the images separately and then re-insert into the document.

Brebuck

Oops

Does ZIPing it help reduce the size? Also, your ISP provides free webspace.

Sorry, I thought I was addressing an issue related to help on "using site features and functionality"
Sometimes hard to make a judgement call

Brebuck

Does your document contain images? Oversized images are the biggest culprit in bloated PDF files. Depending on the PDF software you used to create the document, you can change the settings to reduce the image resolution, or you may need to resize the images separately and then re-insert into the document.

No image but I used "Appleworks" and didn't find any resolution options.
I think I'll try converting it to a Word doc. and pdf it from word.
Thanks

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Brebuck:

Thanks for the effort. It is great that a new guy to scanning has the "moxie" to do this. In any case, might I suggest that RR Wiki is really the place for such a document. I am no wiki expert, but I believe you can upload a file to the wiki, if not I am sure that Mike or Ben (the wiki gurus here) can help you out.

Brebuck

RR Wiki

Brebuck:

Thanks for the effort. It is great that a new guy to scanning has the "moxie" to do this. In any case, might I suggest that RR Wiki is really the place for such a document. I am no wiki expert, but I believe you can upload a file to the wiki, if not I am sure that Mike or Ben (the wiki gurus here) can help you out.

Rats Lou, I just posted it to the uniden forum in an unbloated form (saving it from Word reduced the swelling).
Thanks for the suggestion.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Brebuck:

Yep, sign in and edit the Related Pages for BC396XT scanner. Amazing, the pdf link in that section is 273 pages and 5MB also. Wiki link is BCD396XT - The RadioReference Wiki

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Rats Lou, I just posted it to the uniden forum in an unbloated form (saving it from Word reduced the swelling).
Thanks for the suggestion.
:lol:
That's okay...it really can be in both places.
See Franks comment above.

Status
Not open for further replies.