thread "roll over" question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerhouse

Hi guys.
I know this question has been asked in the past but I don't remember the results.
I enjoy the roll over function of the threads because it lets me see the first few lines of the posters question/comment. This way I can decide to click on it and read further or move on to another thread.
However, sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.
On my work computer it hasn't worked since they upgraded to internet explorer 7 which was before the site upgrade here. At home it worked yesterday but not today. I am using internet explorer 8.
I'm sure this is because of some setting somewhere within the browser or some specific security setting.
Does anyone know what is required for this funtion to work?
Such as what specific setting has to be enabled or disabled for this to function properly?

Thanks for a great site and for the great bunch of people both administering and visiting these forums.

powerhouse.

MaxMan1986

I'm using Firefox 3.0.10 and it works fine for me.

I get the "roll over", but it only lasts about 3 seconds. Not enough time!

Interesting. Mine doesn't seem to have a time limit; it just stays until I move the mouse.

SCPD

QRT
Should be 5 seconds for eveyone..

Don't know how you can say that since tool-tips created by HTML 'title' tags are displayed as a function of the user's browser / OS and cannot be controlled by a website.

I, for example, have tool-tips turned off.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
Don't know how you can say that since tool-tips created by HTML 'title' tags are displayed as a function of the user's browser / OS and cannot be controlled by a website.

I thought I had read that somewhere in the vBulletin doc's. Maybe it was something else :cool:

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014

Tool tips is not a function of a browser at all. They are a function of the Windows operating system in general. They are also set for a ~5 second display as indicated earlier. If you have them turned off, you have them turned off for everything, not just your browser.

As to the OP's question; do a Google search for "disable tool tips" and you will see how it was shut off, which of course shows how to reactivate them. I would suggest that if your work computer is the one that does not show them, that you don't reactivate them since someone in your IT section obviously had to disable them for some reason.

SCPD

QRT
Tool tips is not a function of a browser at all. They are a function of the Windows operating system in general..

I hate to nit-pick, but as you can see in the Firefox screenshot below, they are, in fact, a functionality of the browser. It is, after all, the browser which makes the Windows API call.

In any case, I did state "browser / OS".

No matter - my point was to scannerfreak's post. I didn't want the OP thinking the tool tips were an exclusive function of this website when they are controlled by the user's environment - browser, OS, whatever...

You're mostly right though. Tool-tips can be disabled in the Windows Registry:

Enable/Disable Tool Tip Displays

Incidentally, and mostly off-topic, the variable "broswer.chrome.toolbar_tips" refers to all tool-tips within firefox, not just those of the interface, as the name implies. Firefox has a few ill-advised and ill-placed tool-tips which are corrected simply by switching them off.

Last edited:

powerhouse

Thanks for all the great info.
I have checked my home computer and I do have tool tips active. I can't make any changes to my work computer even if I wanted to but tool tips work within other applications so I have to assume they are enabled..
I have noticed that both at home and at work if you hover over the "last post" on the right hand side of the page a tool tip pops up with the date and/or time of the last post but if you try to hover over the thread title no such tool tip appears.
I just tried this here at home and before I logged in the above was true but after I logged in it did show the tool tip for the thread title as well. I will have to log in at work to see if I can duplicate it there as well.
Incidently, they are using Internet explorer 6 at work and I am using Internet explorer 8 here at home.

I'm going to figure this out one way or the other simply because it puzzles me.

Thanks again for all the feed back.

powerhouse

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Hey powerhouse -

I wondered about this in the past too. Eventually I noticed that it works when I am logged in, and it does not work when I am logged out.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.