Re: Scammers on RadioReference And Calssifieds

Should A Warning Tag Be Embedded into Calssified Ads ?

• YES

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • NO

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • No Comment.

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLM7424

Re: Scammers on RadioReference And Calssifieds

*** I hope this was Placed in the right section, it Seemed overall like a Admin Issue **

I Realize The world is not Perfect Nor is Radioreference Website And it is Unfortunate that we
Get a Safe feeling of being Surrounded By Fellow Radio Enthusiast ,and then Some Outsiders
Come in and start Scamming people out of their hard Earned Money.

Well it happens maybe you the person Reading this have been Scammed i have been
Just not here .

PEOPLE IF THE PRICE LQQKS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLEY IS !!!!!

Dont be scammed Paypal is a Cheap Almost free service it offers protection Use IT !

I would like to Ask / Suggest to RR Staff that a Warning Qoute message be Embeded Into
Every ad Placed in to Every section of the Classifieds Selling, Trading ,Buying .

To suggest to people to Read Feedback forums before Acting Not to just hand their Funds over
thru western union or some other funds transfer. to Google the Value of Said item or Ask others
If its a To good To be True Ad..

Spend a little time Guys to be Sure Dont Be Sucker !

This is Just My opinion

Are you For This Idea ??

Last edited:

brandon

Database Admin
I think there needs to be higher requirements for a person to post classifieds. It seems many of the scammers are people with less than 10 posts or have very recent join dates.

Maybe setup a rule that prevents users from posting ads unless one of the following apply:
1. They have more than 100 posts
2. Been a member for at least 6 months
3. Is a premium RR subscriber

This may help solve some of the problems. Just my 2 cents.

JLM7424

I think there needs to be higher requirements for a person to post classifieds. It seems many of the scammers are people with less than 10 posts or have very recent join dates.

Maybe setup a rule that prevents users from posting ads unless one of the following apply:

Those Are great Ideas Brandon Thanks for the input

i hope more people come up with some great suggestion like yours .

SCPD

QRT
Who will verify all this info?.. will not work because admins etc have enough to do already & are not paid to be RR police

SCPD

QRT
Also anyone can pay the very small cost for premium membership & make a few posts & still rip people off. People JUST NEED to use simple COMMON sense
Also this all has been brought up before & nothing was changed.....

JLM7424

Who will verify all this info?.. will not work because admins etc have enough to do already & are not paid to be RR police

It should be as simple as the Computer Controlling this as far as the Warning Message
for thinking before doing would be a message that stands out like a Qoute message .

And for Verifying Subscription Status , Quanity of post , length of time as a member .

All Able to be Controlled by the Computer system simply put in place by Lindsay .
Trust me it would be simple.

Well it would still help the problem and if they Subscribe then the management has thier Info.

Last edited:

tonyclark

Premium Subscriber

I am new here. Other forums I am a member of that have buying & selling have the same problem. I is a shame to go to such steps but it may have to be done.

SuperTex

These are all good suggestions but I think some people need to take responsibility too. Like they say, buyer beware...
I'm new to the forums but I have lurked here in times gone by. I have 30 some odd posts, have made some deals (all rated excellent, BTW) and met some people in my area I might not have met, all through RR.
I know it's quite a bit of work but perhaps a member/s could write a tutorial on things to watch out for when buying/selling/trading online which could be updated to protect everyone here. So as a scam emerges the members could make note of it and warn others. Also it may act as a deterrent to would be scammers... Just an idea for discussion here :)
PS I did post to that guy about one of his units and he never messaged me. I was a little worried about his 7 posts but not enough to stop me from asking about his equipment. I do feel for the people who got burned though, we've all been burned at some time or another.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
A suggestion for Lindsay:

How about setting up a feedback rating system and have that information appear right next to the user name in the forum? It'd be kinda hard to scam people if right there next to the scammer's name was a nasty negative feedback rating. You could even go one step further with this method and automatically prevent someone with ANY negative feedback from posting new ads. If a seller wants to post ads again, they must resolve the issue at which point the user that left them the neg feedback can rescind it and they'd be back in business. Otherwise, tough cookies. I'd also recommend that only established members within a certain post count and/or amount of time as a registered member be allowed to post or respond to ads. Let's not forget that people have also sent off their radios to a scammer and been ripped off that way too.

It's not a perfect system but I think it will help reduce the problem. Again, just a suggestion.

-AZ

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Stick to ebay, and purchase with a credit card.

It's still not perfect, but there are a few more safeguards there that can't be implemented here.

SCPD

QRT
A suggestion for Lindsay:

How about setting up a feedback rating system and have that information appear right next to the user name in the forum? It'd be kinda hard to scam people if right there next to the scammer's name was a nasty negative feedback rating. You could even go one step further with this method and automatically prevent someone with ANY negative feedback from posting new ads. If a seller wants to post ads again, they must resolve the issue at which point the user that left them the neg feedback can rescind it and they'd be back in business. Otherwise, tough cookies. I'd also recommend that only established members within a certain post count and/or amount of time as a registered member be allowed to post or respond to ads. Let's not forget that people have also sent off their radios to a scammer and been ripped off that way too.

It's not a perfect system but I think it will help reduce the problem. Again, just a suggestion.

-AZ

Feedback & most any info can be faked & embellished .. even those 2 people never made a deal with each other. that is make it appear they are selling items & then each make up good or bad feedback even

JoeyC

Why should they if they allow a FS section on the website? Everybody knows that dealing with strangers over the internet is RISKY BUSINESS and it isn't the websites responsibility to protect you.

JLM7424

Why should they if they allow a FS section on the website? Everybody knows that dealing with strangers over the internet is RISKY BUSINESS and it isn't the websites responsibility to protect you.

The Same reason you would protect your Children Because You dont want to see bad things
happen to them. You guys seem to Find the Bad reason in it

Let me Ask you What Would it Hurt ?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
You are buying ONLINE

I think the above ideas are a "good idea", but we all know that implementing them will not solve scams and could get in the way of honest people's transactions.

I do not like the government telling me what to do and many laws have taken away freedom from honest otherwise law-abiding citizens. Perhaps law makers mean good; but in the real world it does not work that way.

So I'd say to leave things alone, but perhaps post a sticky or other message that outlines some cautions for people. If someone is new, has few posts, just joined, not really participated at RR and all of a sudden is posting stuff for sale; BE AWARE.

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
You have to use your head.

I always do a bit of research on someone and I always use Paypal.

If they only have a few posts and no real history here, then beware.

I recently tried to sell some stuff, did it via ebay and linked it here.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Feedback & most any info can be faked & embellished .. even those 2 people never made a deal with each other. that is make it appear they are selling items & then each make up good or bad feedback even

That's true, but if you needed to be a member for 3 months and have 60 posts to be able to post in the FS forum, that's a long time to sit around waiting before you can scam someone. Then, if someone DOES get ripped off, that user could be immediately flagged and unable to post more ads until the issue was resolved and the flag removed.

Again, it's not perfect, but just sitting back and saying "buyer beware" is an open invitation to scammers to come on in, create an ID, and proceed to rip off our members because they know there's little to no chance anything can be done about it.

And I DON'T use Paypal. My bank account got completely hosed by them and they did NOTHING to resolve it, leaving me to settle up with my bank to the tune of several hundred dollars in overdrafts and fees. Never. Again. You shouldn't rely on Paypal, they'll rip you off worse than the damn scammers IMHO.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Remember, this is a large forum and growing very fast, there will always be bad transactions. I remember some members that had awesome feedback on the RR for sale forum, then one day it all fell apart with them.

I believe there is something in the works for the For Sale forum on RadioReference so lets have some patience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.