Auto forums read

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfhtm350

I can visit the main page, then leave and come back later and everything is automatically marked as read. I never really know what Ive missed if I come in and leave quickly. It has always been like this since I joined. Is there a way to change that behavior as to where I can click "mark forums read" or something so I can leave some unread when I come back? Ive looked around and cant find any settings.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
It's a setting in the Admin Control Panel, there isn't a User setting to change this. I'm guessing it's a 45 to 60 minute timeout?

If you don't intend to read all new posts, don't visit the forums until you're ready to sift through everything.

QDP2012

It's a setting in the Admin Control Panel, there isn't a User setting to change this. I'm guessing it's a 45 to 60 minute timeout?

If you don't intend to read all new posts, don't visit the forums until you're ready to sift through everything.

Another option is not to log-in until you've read everything, and have decided to which thread(s) you will submit comment(s).

After you have logged-in and submitted comments, and have logged-out, and the screen has returned to the RR forums, then click on "Today's Posts". This will set a cookie which will "start the timer", so that the next time you visit, the "new" messages that have been updated since you logged-out will be Yellow. If you don't click "Today's Posts" (or something similar), then the cookie does not get created, and the next time you visit the Forums, none of the threads will be Yellow.

Hope this helps,

jfhtm350

Well I was hoping there was a setting I could change, because on some other forums there is an option to mark forum as read and even if you go into the subforum it will still show as unread as long as you dont go into the thread itself. It seems easier to keep up with stuff that way.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
No there are 2 settings.... The one you are asking about is DATABASE THREAD TRACKING .. (The other is COOKIE BASED TRACKING)

That uses alot of database space and doesnt go by your last login date,YOU MUST CLICK "MARK ALL READ" to reset your thread read status......

I dunno what thier feelings are about D.T.T. here...... Maybe they feel it uses too much which is why its disabled.......

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
This was a choice Lindsay made quite some time ago. I'm not positive what loading impact changing it to be tracked internally would cause so it's going to have to stay as-is.

One13Truck

Feed Provider
This has driven me crazy forever as well. I've lost track of times I've logged in and browsed for a bit then either ran to the store or out on a fire or EMS run or something & come back later to find everything marked as read. I really wish it saved what was actually UNREAD.

Best workaround I've found for it unfortunately is to go in & look at the date/time of my last post & then every section of the forums I visit after that scroll down to anything posted since that time. It at least sort of gives me an idea where I left off and can then browse the topics that I haven't seen yet. I really wish we had an option to change it though.

CapStar362

doesn't seem to happen to me. i see every post that i have not clicked on as new.... every section and every post...... some still as far as weeks old.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Forums Manager said:
This was a choice Lindsay made quite some time ago. I'm not positive what loading impact changing it to be tracked internally would cause so it's going to have to stay as-is.
Ya I figured as such...... If you look into it FM,you will see it uses quite alot of space......

Status
Not open for further replies.