Reviving old threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

12dbsinad

This has probably been asked a 1000 times and I apologize in advance if it has. Would it make sense (and can it be done) to automatically close threads that are inactive for a pre determined time? I have seen a lot of 6 or 7 year old threads that get revived with pointless posts. I think it would help out the forums if new threads are started rather than rekindling the fire.

I'm not complaining, just wondering.

n5ims

Not sure it answers you question, but this outlines the policy on old threads. I do believe there is a thread that addresses your specific question, but I can't find it at this point searching (too many about locking channels, talkgroups, etc. so there's a very high noise level while doing that search).

http://forums.radioreference.com/fo...709-our-policy-reviving-very-old-threads.html

Found it (or at least one of them). One of the official and direct answers is the third post (by LouMaag). http://forums.radioreference.com/forums-administration/133974-old-threads.html

This suggestion was discussed many years ago and Lindsay's take on it was that unless the thread is spinning out of control to leave a resurrected thread alone. The reason they are left open (normally) is someone may have something pertinent to say on an old subject.

And further down on post 14 is the response by Lindsay himself on the topic.
I've going to chime in here as well. I think that the benefits of leaving threads open for contribution far outweigh the disadvantages of auto-locking threads.

Frankly, we'll cause more confusion when some threads are locked, and others aren't. I'm going to work with Wayne, our lead Forums Manager, to see if an auto-archival system should/could be implemented, but auto-locking threads is not a best practice.

If you see someone post to a thread that's been dead for years, remember that they might have stumbled across it while searching on google, or they may have come across it while searching on this site. Politely direct them to a more current thread if applicable. Otherwise, it's really ok! ;-)

Last edited:

12dbsinad

Thanks n5, yeah I read that, but couldn't find anything else. Like I said, I was just curious.

prerunner1982

This has probably been asked a 1000 times

Did you search first before you posted?

Im only kidding with the above response, but I see that a lot on forums as well. If the threads were closed sure you can search them but what if you had a question? Now you have to start your own thread and reference a closed thread..

I see on the same forums people complaining that a person didn't search because "It's been asked 1000 times before" and yet the same people also complain when someone revives an old thread. (12DBsinad, not saying you are like this) Is that like the old saying when you're a kid, seen but not heard? They want you to search for answers but not ask a question.

Luckily I found a forum for another hobby I enjoy where it is ok to ask the same question or revive old threads because as long as those people are getting the answers they need, isn't that what we are here for?

Status
Not open for further replies.