RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Site Administration Forums > Forums Administration

Forums Administration - For administrative questions about the forums or problems with its use. Before you ask, did you read here first?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blantonl View Post
I have made some changes to ads on the site, including adding some amazon ads for relevant products to the community.

If you are a premium subscriber, you should see no ads on the site except the one at the bottom of the page (for now) - I'll look to block that ad from showing for premium subscribers since we advertise (no pun intended!) that premium subscribers will not see any ads on the site.

Note that we really only show ads for relevant content to our subscribers (for the most part). For instance, those amazon ads at the top have resulted in members here in the forums purchasing almost 40 products over the past 3 days. So they are working
"Relevance" of the ads isn't the issue, but rather their intrusiveness that interferes with access to the site.

I have no idea what the economics of the ads are, and whether revenue from ad-related sales will offset user emigration. Likewise, I have no idea what the mix of users is between relative newbies looking for answers and relative experts who provide them. If you have user activity data, you will see that most of the time I spend in the Motorola forum (and, to a lesser extent, the Massachusetts forum) where I try to answer other people's questions about devices and systems with which I have some expertise, often to the expressed gratitude of the folks helped. In fact, I enjoy being able to help folks and this is my primary attraction to the site. I like to think I've been a net contributor (and hope that isn't just hubris on my part).

Caveats: One: I am certainly not the only net contributor to the site. Two: others may not be as turned off by the new ads as I am.

These new big blocky ads (for stuff I assure you I will never be a customer) and the resultant jumping around of the screen will eventually drive me away. Whether that is a trade-off that is a net benefit for the site is something you'll have to decide.
Sponsored links
Old 08-14-2017, 4:12 PM
Founder and CEO
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Can you advise what you mean by " jumping around of the screen?" = I'm not able to recreate this behavior, and I'm not quite sure what you mean by this either?
Old 08-14-2017, 4:49 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Some of the larger ads seem to have a slight lag in loading with the rest of the page and when they so load it makes everything on the page shift. I've noticed it on mobile. Haven't tried on my laptop though. It happened on this page actually when I went to respond but it doesn't seem to happen every time I load a page. Definitely annoying but not really anything new. Seems about every forum I'm a member on uses them. Gotta make money where you can I guess.
Old 08-14-2017, 7:22 PM
Founder and CEO
Database Admin
Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjonesinc View Post
Some of the larger ads seem to have a slight lag in loading with the rest of the page and when they so load it makes everything on the page shift. I've noticed it on mobile. Haven't tried on my laptop though. It happened on this page actually when I went to respond but it doesn't seem to happen every time I load a page. Definitely annoying but not really anything new. Seems about every forum I'm a member on uses them. Gotta make money where you can I guess.
We try to be as nice as we can about ads on the site.

We don't do pop overs, pop unders, full screen ads, or auto-starting videos with audio. Those types of ads ARE intrusive and unacceptable to be used on my business. If you ever see any of those types of ads let me know personally and I'll address ASAP.

Advertising is a love/hate relationship - but the simple reality is that it works, and it helps pay the bills.

We try to keep ads as relevant as possible to our community. We make changes often to tweak how ads are displayed and how they can generate more revenue for the business at the same time minimizing impact to users. You are seeing some of those changes.

And don't forget, if you are Radioreference Premium Subscriber, or a feed provider on Broadcastify, you'll never see an ad on RadioReference / Broadcastify if you are logged in.

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2017, 12:02 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
We try to be as nice as we can about ads on the site.

We don't do pop overs, pop unders, full screen ads, or auto-starting videos with audio. Those types of ads ARE intrusive and unacceptable to be used on my business. If you ever see any of those types of ads let me know personally and I'll address ASAP.

Advertising is a love/hate relationship - but the simple reality is that it works, and it helps pay the bills.

We try to keep ads as relevant as possible to our community. We make changes often to tweak how ads are displayed and how they can generate more revenue for the business at the same time minimizing impact to users. You are seeing some of those changes.

And don't forget, if you are Radioreference Premium Subscriber, or a feed provider on Broadcastify, you'll never see an ad on RadioReference / Broadcastify if you are logged in.

Thanks,
I'm certainly not complaining Lindsay. I understand it completely. If i could strap a billboard to myself and make some extra cash I would. I was just saying sometimes some of the ads lag. which is completely out of your control. At least all of the ads I've seen are radio related. I'm not a fan of it but I'm glad it's related to the site itself.
Sponsored links
Old 08-15-2017, 5:54 AM

Was on the site yesterday and an ad for Plenty of Fish was at the bottom of the screen lol.
Old 08-16-2017, 3:42 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default maybe

you could meet someone that likes radio, i did.
was a co-worker and now wife !
Old 08-17-2017, 9:26 AM

No thanks. Have enough on my plate as it is lol.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 PM
Moderator---not censor
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
I have them at the bottom of the page, using Chrome. Pretty sure this is new.
The ads have disappeared for me.
Old 08-19-2017, 3:50 AM
Moderator/Global DB Admin
Database Admin

Quote:

Thanks,
I'm logged in as premium subscriber and I see Amazon ads on top of page and some sort of Google based ad at the bottom of the page.

I logged out, deleted cookies/cache and relogged back in to be sure.

They go away with Adblock Plus however.
Old 08-19-2017, 9:36 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
The ads have disappeared for me.
Same here, since middle of last week. I never scroll past Quick Reply, so I mostly missed them anyway.

Glad ScannerMaster is perma-fixed at the top, though.
Old 08-20-2017, 8:37 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I am using Waterfox (a Firefox variant) with Ad Block Plus (and EasyList filter) and get no ads, whether I am logged in as a member or not logged in. This includes ads at the bottom of the page, below the Quick Reply buttons.

My settings also clear browser cache and history after closing it. My settings work on all sites, not just Radioreference and Broadcastify.