A Plea - Location in posts please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulears

I've just been reading a post about a new OPP communication centre in London. There was even a link, and I had a read about all the jobs, but I couldn't work out why a North American company would have a big new build in London? I started thinking maybe be it's unused and hence cheap comms pathways, or maybe a deal done by the UK Government and then it clicked, after a bit of Google typing. There is a London in Canada, and they even have an Exeter Rd, and it's in Ontario.

Please spare a thought to people who are not in North America and can't keep up with the historic re-use of British place names.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Looks to me like the thread is in the Ontario, Canada forum so I really don't see a need to include the location.

mciupa

Database Admin
So, that is why the Ontario forum was hitting close to 400 viewing!

Typically, I will see no more than thirty viewers.

Thread title has been changed to London, Ontario.

Paulears, if you ever visit Ontario, you can also see Keswick, Bradford, Peterborough besides London to name a few familiar names. :D

paulears

Brilliant! Actually, I got the link in a message, so maybe something happened - the forum has been a bit oddly behaved here tonight - 503 errors and not available.

Maybe when it was moved something happened - totally get the point now of course, just didn't even get the OPP, being Ontario.

As for those names, that's really new to me, maybe I'll get to Canada one day - I did come once to ski, and a lady on the ski lift heard the accent, and asked if it was true that Brits have refrigerators that fit under a countertop - and we said yes. She thought this amazing, but asked how often we go food shopping? Most days I said, how about you? Once a month, or maybe once in three weeks - as our nearest supermarket is 3 hours away! Great country, but nobody seems to live in most of it!

mciupa

Database Admin
Looks to me like the thread is in the Ontario, Canada forum so I really don't see a need to include the location.

I think some people access the website with the Radio Reference Home page being bookmarked rather Forums link home page.

I imagine they peruse the "Active Forum Threads" by topic on that page and saw a truncated title that mentioned London.

paulears

Absolutely right - Active forums is my normal access method from a bookmarked page, and normally I look at topic titles, then spot it says something like Kansas Police or similar, and then don't read those. It's not remotely a problem, but just a mistake by me not realing what 'area' of the forum I was in - there are clues of course, as seeing somebody's tag as London, Ontario should perhaps of sunk in - it didn't!

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I agree it's better if a location is shown. I don't know why people don't include it...it's free. I read a lot of different forums, that's how you learn, but I try to check the location before I post, some people get territorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.