Auto Lock Really Old Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I have noticed several instances recently where clueless people have revived really old threads, in some cases more than a decade old, and moderators needed to lock the thread.

Is there any technical or policy reason why a thread couldn't or shouldn't be locked automatically after a year or two of inactivity? It seems like that would cut down on clueless users replying to comments over a decade old, and save moderators some time. Thoughts?

KV4BL

Why? I never really understood the apparent hysteria over people replying to, commenting on, or reviving older threads. This is especially so if the thread or elements thereof, the new comments, and/or both, have relevance or entertainment value in the here-and-now.

I always thought such hystetia smacked of a particularly unsavory grade of control-freakism.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The technical reason is that the version of vBulletin that we are running does not have a feature for auto-locking old threads.

If someone replies to an old thread with new or useful information that pertains to the thread, we moderators generally allow the "necropost".

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Nothing wrong with replying to ANY thread as long as you have something to add (Dont just say "I AGREE")

KB7MIB

The last revived thread I saw, was a sticky that hadn't been commented on in a year.
Maybe some stickys should be automatically un-stuck after a period of quiet? It's not like someone has to go looking for a sticky that's right there at the top, regardless of how long it's been since the last comment was made.

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.