Unsubscribing from threads Was: OK, I give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Movieman990

Yes, I have ridden the merry-go-round using SEARCH and looking at a variety of areas, posts, ad infinitum and I can't figure out how to UNSUBSCRIBE to a thread I no longer want to follow.

When I look at my subscribed threads, go to a specific thead I am subscribed too and then the THREAD TOOLS for the ability to UNSUBSCRIBE from that thread, I am not given the opportunity to unsubscribe.

I would think this would be the logical place, and that is supported by one of RRs notices in ONE of many read this first areas, but I am not given the option to UNSUBSCRIBE.

I need help, but not the kind of help that says "Did you read this READ HERE FIRST" or "Do a search for unsubscribe". I have done all of that.

The quoted material below the >>>>>> below is what I found that I feel should work, but does not work for me. This is in one of the many "read this first" areas...don't ask me which one...the merry-go-round (and round and round) has left me dizzy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What are thread tools?

At the top of each thread, there is a link called 'Thread Tools'. By clicking on this link, a menu will appear with a number of options:
• Show Printable Version - this will show you a page with the thread post content in a reduced graphics format that is more 'printer friendly'.
• Email this Page - if you think the thread may be interesting to someone else, you can forward a link to it to their email address.
• Subscribe (or Unsubscribe) from this Thread - by subscribing to a thread, you will receive periodic email updates on recent activity within it. Click herefor more information on subscriptions.
• Adding a Poll - if you started the thread, you can add a poll to it with this option. Click here for more information on polls.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for answering this request without being sanctimonious about it or deprecating me for not being able to read instructions or follow the many side-winding trails to get to an answer. I am not the brightest bulb in the box, but I am not the dimmest either.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Go to your User Control Panel (https://forums.radioreference.com/usercp.php).

Scroll down the panel on the left until you see "List Subscriptions". Click on that link.

The result should be a list of every thread that you are subscribed to sorted by the most recent activity. On the right edge of that list, you should see check boxes for each thread. Check the check box for each thread that you want to unsubscribe from. Now, scroll down the list until you see the "Selected Threads:" pull-down. Click the pull-down and select "Delete Subscription". Then click the "Go" button. You'll now be unsubscribed from the threads you selected with the check box.

I don't know why the Thread Tools don't work, but I've had trouble with using them to unsubscribe in the past, so I use the User CP method.

Movieman990

Yet more confusion

After posting the first note in this thread I went to my CP and saw that this thread was newly subscribed. I get that as I have a setting to automatically subscribe me to any thread to which I reply or any thread which I start.

The surprising part was that IN THAT NOTICE of a newly subscribed thread was the opportunity to UNSUBSCRIBE to that new thread, but when I go to my list of ALL my subscribed threads I can not find the opportunity to unsubscribe to any given thread.

Still looking for that opportunity, but thought I would short circuit the need for any member or moderator to show me what I just discovered.

Shouldn't it be as easy as the steps talked about the in the first post here?

Will check back later today to see if anyone can get me there or if I have a PM from some mod.

Movieman990

Thanks !

Go to your User Control Panel (https://forums.radioreference.com/usercp.php).

Scroll down the panel on the left until you see "List Subscriptions". Click on that link.

The result should be a list of every thread that you are subscribed to sorted by the most recent activity. On the right edge of that list, you should see check boxes for each thread. Check the check box for each thread that you want to unsubscribe from. Now, scroll down the list until you see the "Selected Threads:" pull-down. Click the pull-down and select "Delete Subscription". Then click the "Go" button. You'll now be unsubscribed from the threads you selected with the check box.

I don't know why the Thread Tools don't work, but I've had trouble with using them to unsubscribe in the past, so I use the User CP method.

I will try that and my guess is YOUR answer will work.

It raises an INTERESTING POINT though. Why do the powers that be here not CHANGE the instructions that they so readily send us on? That seems basic to me. Why provide an answer that does not work when it shouldn't be too hard to provide the answer you did?

Movieman990

Moderators...or somebody....

....SOMEBODY.... needs to straighten the instructions out for this UNSUBSCRIBE method.

The SOLUTION provided by W9BU WORKS !

Too bad it is not articulated anywhere else in the many searches I did. Maybe the addition of this thread will be seen in searches from this point on and will help some other poor unfortunate who wastes 30 minutes looking for an answer as to why the other answers don't work.

Thanks to W9BU for an easy to understand and implement solution.

Movieman990

More merry go round...

Click the link for 'User CP' and 'Subscribed Threads' on the forum

or this link...

https://forums.radioreference.com/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

Thanks anyway, but the solution provided by W9BU (actual instructions on what to do) worked.

I then followed your link trail and all it did was take me to my subscription list which I already knew how to do..having solved the problem prior to that trip I did not mind taking it for one last time !

Movieman990

One final comment...

When following the procedure outlined by W9BU (which WORKS) the choice of what to do at the bottom of the page comes up as DELETE THREAD ......not UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THREAD....words matter.... especially after following a litany of incorrect information on how to get this task to work.

While I realize the huge amount of work that goes into the creation and maintenance of any forum on the internet (nothing I could ever do) I still think it's worth noting to the powers that be here that this might be ONE of the things that should be looked at by somebody who could take care of this seemingly basic function.

Thanks for those who helped here.

Last edited:

Movieman990

I think we are looking at 2 different spots

KMAN,
I can't grab the drop down when its down, but there is more than DELETE THREAD there. As I have been down this path before you likely wanted to stop email notifications and not remove the thread from your subscription list. I know... in the thread it doesn't work, be prepared to roll with the discrepancies/disconnects. In ham radio there will be more to come.

73, Mike KE5MC

I think you may looking somewhere I am not.

When in my list of subscribed threads I have the check boxes to the right of the screen.

I did what W9BU said and check the boxes of the ones I wanted to UNSUBSCRIBE.

I then went to the bottom of the screen and found the drop down box. When I click on the arrow for looking at possible choices there are about 6. The one I used was Delete....works for me...I just want to get it out of my subscribed threads list.

As to your point about discrepancies/disconnects I am specifically relating to mis-direction provided by the forums management. Providing information that doesn't work (and/or not correcting that information) isn't doing anyone any good.

Taking a user's word for something in any given forum is not something I would do that is certain. I would look at what other people say as well about solving any problem, whether it was unplugging a kitchen sink or programming a scanner. BUT when bad choices are given by the people in charge of something (like the people who administer the forums) then I have to call foul and suggest they correct the one or more errors than might be going on regarding this matter....or any other.

Sure, life is full of bad advice but we have to at least try to overcome that and opt for something better for others who might run into it.

Attachments

• unsubscribe.jpg
    unsubscribe.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 165

AK9R

Super Moderator
When following the procedure outlined by W9BU (which WORKS) the choice of what to do at the bottom of the page comes up as DELETE THREAD ......not UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THREAD....words matter....
Yes, words matter. The selection in the Selected Threads: drop-down is Delete Subscription, not Delete Thread.

FYI, the underlying software that runs the forums will be changing over to a completely new platform soon.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I just tried the instructions from W9BU. No problem with "Delete Subscription"...
Bp4sd.png

Movieman990

More pics....

Here is a pic showing what happened when I clicked on the drop down button shown in post above.

Attachments

• Untitled2.jpg
    Untitled2.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 157

Movieman990

Thanks for the update.....

Yes, words matter. The selection in the Selected Threads: drop-down is Delete Subscription, not Delete Thread.

FYI, the underlying software that runs the forums will be changing over to a completely new platform soon.

and thanks for correcting my error about delete thread as opposed to delete subscription. Proving once again we ALL can make mistakes...some of those mistakes affect 6 people some affect thousands of people. Edit: and from a national political standpoint some of those mistakes can potentially affect millions.

Thanks too for telling us about the new platform. Hopefully all will go well.

Last edited:

AK9R

Super Moderator
As stated earlier in the thread, the Thread Tools selections don't always work as advertised.

Movieman990

Thanks, but I think I was there and THINK I followed the many links....

A search brought up this page:

https://forums.radioreference.com/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=subscribe&match=all&titlesonly=0

Scroll down to the heading of "Subscriptions"

Next to last paragraph describes how to manage your subscriptions, including the steps to delete a thread from your list of subscribed threads.

Probably was there (at the link you suggested). Couldn't say for sure. What I do know is that in maybe 6 sentences W9BU provided the answer that worked and was not an answer I found anywhere else in the 30 minutes I hiked the many trails of the site. Also see his response to your post.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Also see his response to your post.

Yes, I understood his comment about the "Thread Tools" selections. I have seen references to that section containing an unsubscribe option for the thread you are viewing at that time.... but the "unsubscribe" option is not there.

The link in the second to last paragraph in the help section I referenced above leads to your subscription list in the "User CP section"
(the same section he referred you to in post #2) where you can make deletions.

Movieman990

Yes, I understood his comment about the "Thread Tools" selections. I have seen references to that section containing an unsubscribe option for the thread you are viewing at that time.... but the "unsubscribe" option is not there.

The link in the second to last paragraph in the help section I referenced above leads to your subscription list in the "User CP section"
(the same section he referred you to in post #2) where you can make deletions.

Good to know....I guess...that the answer is indeed somewhere to be found. However, in a continuing effort to show that the approach necessary to actually get a thread UNSUBSCRIBED is currently TEDIOUS I feel I still need to point out the following.

That if a person goes into one's subscribed threads and calls up some given subscribe thread that one wants to UNSUBCRIBE to the Thread Tools (as you mention above) DOES NOT ALLOW the process to take place as is suggested in so many other suggestions which are made when a search is done.

Correcting that error alone would get around all the searching, all the scrolling down through multiple sections of a help section, all the following of multiple links in those sections.

Your post (quoted above) adequately covers the issues here if one wants to follow a lot of links over a 30 minute period and if one is lucky enough to find that one link within a link that answers the question.

Just fix the thread tools opportunity and you don't have to check boxes, scroll down, scroll down through choices, push go to get it all done.

Thanks for your response though....shows there is some interest in this topic and gives multi-thousand post members to continue to have something to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.