Can You take a scanner on an airplane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra_Commander

Radio Guru
Premium Subscriber
Can you take a police scanner on an airplane? if it is in a suitcase? and can you listen to it on the plane at all? :?:

Thornhill20

Different airlines have different regulations.

Here in Canada, Air Canada generally don't make much of an issue about it, but you do need the Pilot's permission first. Just speak with a flight attendant, and often the pilot will come and talk to you personally.

-M

mlevin

These questions you're asking have a lot of possible answers. Do a seacrh for scanners on airplanes. There was a very good thread a while back with many of the answers you are looking for.

N

N_Jay

Cobra_Commander said:
Can you take a police scanner on an airplane? if it is in a suitcase? and can you listen to it on the plane at all? :?:

I don't think any US airline will allow you to use a radio reciever when in flight.

Aircraft law is a off-shoot of maritime law and ALL activities, EVERYTHING on a plane are under the control of the Pilot. In many cases the Pilot is given specific instructions by the "operator" (The airline) which he MUST follow.

There is much debate about what can cause interference to the communications and navigation systems on a plane.

It is not the transmission from the plane that is the concern, it is the reception of navigation signals.
Radio navigation usses minute differences in the amplitude and phase of the received signal to determine distance and direction.
It is likely that even weak signals could affect it.
It is uinlikely that the minor issues caused by radiation from receivers used in the plane would cause any noticed problem, but the airline industry with support from the FAA chose to err on the safe side.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
80 % of airlines will not allow any radio communication devices at all to be used while on an aircraft as according to them, it interferes with avionics, and with communications equipemnt in use in the cockpit. Southwest's and Delta's policy is NO scanners, CB's, or broadcasting capable radios onboard in the cabin of the aircraft while the aircraft is operating. If they see you with aforementioned equipment they will tell you to shut it off. And nowdays some of the TSA screeners will give you hades if they see you with a scanner on you. I was lucky the last two times I have flown after 9/11/01 that the Screeners and Airport Police were cool and understanding about the scanner. But on the bad side, I was with my best friend a few years back at New Orleans International (When it was still Moissant) and we had clearance from the airport officials to go on the parking tower, and to certian other areas of the airport with our scanners and camcorder to do some planespotting. Well an officer of the Kenner police department apparently thought we were up to no good (this was back in 1999 before 9/11) and we found ourselves kneeling at gunpoint on the concrete with my friend's scanner busted on the ground, and my videotapes all confiscated. So use your own judgement, and if your told do not do it: Don't do it.

INDY72

No. The only way that would happen would be if the pilot left the intercom on lol.

D

DaveNF2G

mlevin said:
Isn't there a way to listen to the aircraft comms while you're a passenger?

Yes. Some airlines provide an audio channel from the aircraft radio to passengers via headphones, just like the audio for the music channels and the in-flight movie sound.

INDY72

Very cool, that one I didn't know.. thanks for that info. Do they still do that post 9/11?

ScanManQSL

Premium Subscriber
QTH: Montgomery County, MD / Washington, DC
Cobra_Commander said:

I'll would be more worried about the radiation exposure from the X-Ray machines when they screen your bags. Could the radiation damage the the components of the scanner :?:

Mike102

:( :(

Don,

In a "post 9/11 world" I doubt one would stand a chance.

LOL However, I used to fly anywhere from 50 to 60 thousand miles a year on business. I never took a flight that I didn't have my scanner with me. The freqs were loaded in a single bank, the unit was in my jacket pocket and I used an earphone.

Mike

Voyager

N_Jay said:
Cobra_Commander said:

I don't think any US airline will allow you to use a radio reciever when in flight.

Yes, some do.

The only problem I had last September (a few days after the 11th) was the Uniden battery pack that looks like an explosive. After all, it's a pack with a couple of wires coming out in their eyes. They tested it at every screening. They obviously passed, but those were the only things they were concerned with. They didn't blink twice about my AAs or the PRO-96.

Check with the airline as for use, as their policies do vary. And yes,
the pilot DOES have the final say on anything on his aircraft.

Let me add that during takeoff and landing, I think ALL the airlines prohibit use of ANY consumer electronics. This includes laptops, CD players, scanners, or anything else electronic.

I still haven't ID'ed all the system IDs I received on Trunker from my flight.

Joe M.

mlevin

DaveNF2G said:
mlevin said:

Yes. Some airlines provide an audio channel from the aircraft radio to passengers via headphones, just like the audio for the music channels and the in-flight movie sound.

That's what I thought, cool.

INDY72

Hey Mo, if you do find out which airlines do this, let us know. Having to hide a scanner under a jacket like a secret agent gets old lol.

JoeyC

ScanManQSL said:
Cobra_Commander said:

I'll would be more worried about the radiation exposure from the X-Ray machines when they screen your bags. Could the radiation damage the the components of the scanner :?:

Absolutely not!

bear105

Just flew 2x this weekend and had no problems with the Pro-96 in my carry-on. I even had the extra battery pack stuffed in there.

They did make me remove my sandels and then checked the bottom of my bear feet. When I asked how my corns looked, the TSA screener was not amused.

So I guess my feet where more of a problem then the scanner. But I did not try and use during flight. I always thought that was a no-no.

mlevin

milf said:
Hey Mo, if you do find out which airlines do this, let us know. Having to hide a scanner under a jacket like a secret agent gets old lol.

I rarely fly, and I have no idea how do find out other then actually taking a flight. I would still bring the scanner in the carry on, but I wouldn't think of actually taking it out and turning it on. It would be interesting to see what I pick up though. Just bring a laptop, and check all your freqs on the FCC database.

N

N_Jay

mlevin said:

Popular Electronics mag (I think) had a design for a no-LO (No Local Ocilator) receiver for the aircraft band. I think it was published in teh '70s or '80s.

With no LO and no radiated power it would be "technically" ok to use.
However it would still be up to your skills in explaining that to the crew.

N

N_Jay

bear105 said:
Just flew 2x this weekend and had no problems with the Pro-96 in my carry-on. I even had the extra battery pack stuffed in there.

They did make me remove my sandels and then checked the bottom of my bear feet. When I asked how my corns looked, the TSA screener was not amused.

So I guess my feet where more of a problem then the scanner. But I did not try and use during flight. I always thought that was a no-no.

I think we are mixing two very different issues.

There is no reason you can not carry on a scanner or just about any electronic equipment. I think my folding umbrella has been inspected more than any of my radio equipment.

As for the USE of the equipment on the airplane.
I would love to hear specically which airlines allow the use of scanners or other receivers in flight. Not whichj airlines let you get away with it, or which did not catch you, but rather which when asked allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.