General coverage: VHF vs UHF

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I see a lot of radios for cheap that could be useful for me but there UHF. I want VHF for outdoors as I hear that its better.
So is there a HUGE difference between the signals absorption into the woodlands?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
mciupa said:
Are we speaking of transmitting or receiving ? :confused:
I know that UHF has its clarity on recieveing, so i guess this is mostly transmitting

Paulsan

I believe mciupa is asking what you want to do. Are you listening or do you want to transmit and receive?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Paulsan said:
I believe mciupa is asking what you want to do. Are you listening or do you want to transmit and receive?
both, mostly via HT in a suburban/rural area. I wanted to find an old VHF mobile but there hard to find unlike UHF mobiles. But that means that my portables would have to be UHF. but I want to know which would be better. I hear that UHF absorbes a lot more .

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Generally speaking VHF would better suit your purpose but first you need a license to transmit. All things including license considered your best bet would be MURS but that's UHF, there's always a compromise.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Highlander_821 said:
MURS is also license free, or rather, license by rule.
true.
What i'm asking is. Is it really worth it to go with UHF OR should I keep on to VHF?
WILL UHF KILL my coverage verses VHF?
As UHF has 3 cycles and asbosrbes more foliage than VHF
sometimes I wish there was a 10 watt HT somewhere, problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.