Baud Rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb872033

Hi all...

Another relative newb question here...Baud rate? What is it, and if I am going to get a newer scanner should I get one with selectable Baud rates? I live in CT and would be monitoring the SP in the area and they are digital...so It would be a digital scanner no matter what but I know with some scanners they have selectable baud rates... is that worth it? I know the CSP part of this post is regional but the other part isn't so I thought I would post here first...thanks for any input.

JB

bezking

The "Baud Rate" is the speed at which a device communicates with a computer over a serial cable. It is used to program the radio or control the radio via computer, and does not affect radio reception in any way. The baud rate of a scanner really makes no difference.

jb872033

ohh ok...so then why would one invest money in buying one with a selectable baud rate? Thanks for input...

JB

Portable14

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
jb872033 said:
ohh ok...so then why would one invest money in buying one with a selectable baud rate? Thanks for input...

JB

One example might be someone who frequently re-programs their scanner via computer. The faster the baud rate, The faster the data would be loaded into the scanner from the computer......

n2mdk

Not sure which baud rate you mean, the one between the scanner and the computer used during programming or the one used by the different trunked radio systems. I guess since your talking about selectable it's the programming one, since the one used by the control channel isn't selectable.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Now if the question is about the baud rate used on Motorla trunked systems, then get one capable of receiving 9600 baud systems. All the newer trunk trackers deal with this and the selection is automatic. A couple of the earlier trunkers that could handle digital are not capable of 9600 baud reception.

I'd check the scanner Wiki as I don't recall and don't feel like looking (can we say I'm being lazy this morning?).

DonS

LEH said:
Now if the question is about the baud rate used on Motorla trunked systems, then get one capable of receiving 9600 baud systems. All the newer trunk trackers deal with this and the selection is automatic. A couple of the earlier trunkers that could handle digital are not capable of 9600 baud reception.
The only "9600 baud" systems handled by scanners are EDACS.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
Don, I'm always willing to learn, but I thought some of the newer Motorola P25 systems were 9600 baud. I had to upgrade a scanner when York County VA switched to their P25 system because the system wouldn't track with the older digital scanner.

n2mdk

The P25 systems operate on 4800 Baud Rate Control Channels they are however 9600 bps (bits per second).

jb872033

Thanks for the clarification all!! much appreciated...Got some good info that will help me in purchasing my next scanner...Thanks again

JB

Status
Not open for further replies.