Question about the old Novice class ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a friend who has been a Novice since the mid '70s. Hes maintained his license yet never operates. What exactly are his amateur privileges since all the changes with the elimination of the Novice & Advance class and the dropping of the code?

SCPD

QRT
Probably the same as the day his license was originally issued, Plus & minus what ever was "added" or changed by FCC over the years?. I can think of no reason why this would not be so?. Then again I am NOT a ham & never have been ;). this applies ONLY if its is a VALID FCC License & has been been renewed & updated as he claims
Also, Ham licenses are like driver's licenses.. once you get 1, theres NO requirement that you retake test every XX number
of years or what not. Just fill out form & and send XX $$ & renew it
Paul
ON a simliar note, I have an old CB radio license from back in the days when you were supposed to have one... is it still Valid??:p since they no no longer require 1??

Last edited:

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
From
http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=about_3&id=amateur#Novice

The Novice Class operator license is for persons who have passed the 5 wpm telegraphy examination, but only the first part of the written examination formerly required for the Technician Class. Privileges include four bands in the HF range, one band in the VHF range (30-300 MHz), and one band in the UHF range (300-3,000 MHz).

Ok, that don't help much but I do know the VHF band is 222mhz. That's the limits of the novice license class :D

fineshot1

I had my novice license in 1974(WN2TWE) and at that time it was good for two years and after that it expired and could not be renewed. You were forced to upgrade or lose it. Is your friend sure his license is still valid or could you possibly have the wrong decade?

Status
Not open for further replies.