Controling base with ht

Status
Not open for further replies.

motolover

I own a gmrs repeater that i can key up from my base station but not with my ht. Is there anyway i can control my base radio while in my yard useing my HT ? thanks

n3zra

I don't know the legalities of it, but if you can hear the repeater on your hand held, maybe a 'mobile extender' setup on one of the low power channels to the base unit then to the repeater. though I'd check part 95 on the use of remote base units. The only thing I see that could be a problem is a bubble pack user getting into the repeater through your setup.

www.popularwireless.com might be a better place to look for an answer, they have some very knowledgeable people on part 95 rules pertaining to GMRS.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
What's wrong with the repeater that it doesn't hear your ht? Is it just too far away, or is there a possibility that it's suffering from desense, or some other ailment that prevents it from hearing weak signals? I can talk into some well running UHF repeaters that are nearly 100 miles away with an HT. Yeah, that's a bit much, but if it's usable for a base station, there's a shadow of a chance it could be made to work with ht coverage. How far away is it? Line of sight? Does the HT hear the repeater?

motolover

Yes the repeater is to far away. Some days the base has a little trouble keying it up. and yes there are times where the ht will pick it up but not key it up. iv only keyed it up once with the ht from my yard on a good day.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You mean like the Skycommand I think it is with kenwood radios, something like that? cause you can use a kenwood TS-2000 or other radios and it you can control from an HT

motolover

I need what they call a remote base. I think you can put 2 motorolas togeather to make one. But can both radios be on uhf or does a remote base only work with crossbanding ?

N1BHH

motolover said:
Yes the repeater is to far away. Some days the base has a little trouble keying it up. and yes there are times where the ht will pick it up but not key it up. iv only keyed it up once with the ht from my yard on a good day.

You answered your own question, you are too far away, you haven't got the signal. Also to another post, any in-band repeater is going to be bad news, desensitizing occurs, and where you are on a GMRS frequency, where are you going to put it? Only in the GMRS allocations, and that's only 462.55-462.725 and 467.55-467.725, not much room for error.

Status
Not open for further replies.