Comm Tower Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Wow... Elephant cage. Is that a USN facility, or a SW station?

Years ago there use to be a lot more of the cold war antenna farms still around. People would rediscover them every once in a while, abandoned. I think they've probably torn down most of them though.

Never mind, I just noticed the link address. Looks like they were in the middle of tearing it down maybe.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

zz0468

QRT
Banned
The cell site post made me remember some old photos, so I dug them up. These are two different tower locations in SoCal. There's actually different sites within the locations.

Let's see, I recognize Mt. Wilson in the first set of pictures. It's lovely there this time of year. The second set looks like Frost Peak, aka Blueridge.

KC0QNB

Wow... Elephant cage. Is that a USN facility, or a SW station?

Years ago there use to be a lot more of the cold war antenna farms still around. People would rediscover them every once in a while, abandoned. I think they've probably torn down most of them though.

Never mind, I just noticed the link address. Looks like they were in the middle of tearing it down maybe.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

As you figured it is a USN station, an end of an era you might say, I have never seen one of these up close, but it would be an amazing sight.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
what do most of those antenna do?
I suppose if I put a bag of popcorn and suspend it on a wire between all the microwaves dished that I could get some popcorn

DPD1

what do most of those antenna do?

Everything from TV, to broadcast radio, to air traffic control, to city services. The largest towers are usually TV, but you will also have some towers where they lease out space to separate customers on the same tower. Then you can also have the smaller operators like that little shack where they lease space to companies. Those would typically be your small guys like taxi, construction, ham radio or whatever. They typically don't post what belongs to who, so unless you can actually get inside, it's hard to know.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I suppose if I put a bag of popcorn and suspend it on a wire between all the microwaves dished that I could get some popcorn

Nope. Point to point microwave radios typically run from 100 milliwatts to maybe 5 watts. Not nearly enough to to get popcorn going.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Good catch! (Still slightly weird looking, but at least it's not a big RF fusilli.)

DPD1

Ok here is my question, most of these seem to be the same style of antenna, I would guess a vhf radome type, beings they are that close to each other, don't they interfere with each other?

Believe it or not, modern commercial equipment can handle that if it's done right. But there can still be noise and receiver desense issues, which then has to be taken care of using filters or other tactics.

That particular installation is pretty well maintained and seems to be using similar equipment. If I had to guess, I'd say it was probably a local government system, maybe county.

Dave
www.DPDProductions.com

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
dang really wanted some popcorn
I've seen the X shapped antennas are all over for FM broadcast
heres numerous radio towers in the albany captial region in Upstate NY
They are called ERI 3 Bay in Radomes is what the X's are called, the picture on the left

http://www.necrat.com/alb-pix.html

Last edited:

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Ok here is my question, most of these seem to be the same style of antenna, I would guess a vhf radome type, beings they are that close to each other, don't they interfere with each other?

If these systems are engineered correctly, all the receivers on these antennas are completely oblivious to the fact that they're sitting next to a bunch of transmitters.

Status
Not open for further replies.