The computer and your police scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesDom

It shouldn't have any affect on it at all. My scanners are very near my PC and there is not interference. If you think this is the case though, try to plug in your scanner into a different outlet.

bballjh

First its using batteries and its close to my modem

I have had similar problems as well. If my scanner is next to my laptop while it is recieving I get this god awful feedback from it. Simple solution? Just move the scanner a foot or two away.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
My two PRO-197's in my office are using the RS-800 antenna on the back of the radios, no outside antennas. In the same room, within a couple feet are three computers, two LCD monitor, a WiFi router, a wireless weather transmitter, a cordless telephone, a Nextel cell phone, and a wireless security device.

No interference to my scanners.

N8IAA

The only interference I have encountered, is when my laptop boots up and wipes out the 225-390Mhz Milair on two of my radios. Modem on the PC doesn't interfere. Two scanners within 6" of it.
Larry

Last edited:

hoser147

Its possible, I have a pro95 sitting right above my tower and 4in away from my monitor it I swing the coax closer to the monitor it will pick up some rf somewhere, if I take it another way it works fine. Other than that one little glitch I have 9 scanners right here on the desk with no problems.

N

N_Jay

Computer equipment (as well as many other types of electrical and electronic equipment) make RF noise.

Similar computer equipment may create differing levels and frequencies of RF interference depending on the installation and use.

You scanner is a radio receiver and therefor sensitive to RF noise.

RF noise is only an issue when it interferes with the desired signal.

So the same equipment might interfere on some channels/bands and not on others.
Scanner users do not all listen to the same channels.

The interfering frequency may not be the same as the frequency being received, and different equipment can be sensitive to different frequencies to different extents than other equipment.

The strength of the desired signal and the interfering signal are principle factors, and signal strength will vary by location, time, season, and many other factors that seem random.

(P.S. All the above means that this can be discussed endlessly and never reach conclusion)

Carry on.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.