Radio Shack 19-1208 Business Band Questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does any one out there have any experience or knowledge on these discontinued radio shack 19-1208 business band 5 watt hand held 2 way radios? if so are they good radios? will they talk 4 miles? r they built well? can an external magnetic base car antenna be used with these for greater distance? can these transmit and receive with motorola and other name brand 2 way radios? i have come across 3 of these in good condition with chargers , and ext. mics. for $75, is this a good price for these?.............any info on these would be greatly appreciated, thanks

ka5lqj

R$ "Business band" radios

does any one out there have any experience or knowledge on these discontinued radio shack 19-1208 business band 5 watt hand held 2 way radios? if so are they good radios? will they talk 4 miles? r they built well? can an external magnetic base car antenna be used with these for greater distance? can these transmit and receive with motorola and other name brand 2 way radios? i have come across 3 of these in good condition with chargers , and ext. mics. for $75, is this a good price for these?.............any info on these would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Ok,

Again, it's ILLEGAL for you to transmit on these radios, UNLESS you have the proper license. The license cost $35.00, I think. IF you get caught using them, you can be fined $10,000. and spend 10 years in federal prison, NOT a good thing. These radios are used for short, line-of-site communications on job sites or business's like apartment complexes or schools. All it would take is for a business to complain about interference from your communications and the F.C.C. would come looking for you.

Now, I'm not trying to be a "jerk", just warn you of the dangers of illegal operations. I have radios that
COULD very well get me in a WHOLE lot of trouble, if I transmitted on them. But, I value my ham license too much and only use those radios to "monitor" certain frequencies.

I know, I was young once and wanted to "talk" on the radio. I had some very wise "council" from some old hams in the area and learned my basic electronics first , theory, then rules and regulations. I took the "time" and it has served me well all these years and I STILL don't know-it-all, LOL!

I hope you understand I'm trying to be a friend and to help you out.

Respectfully submitted,

Don/KA5LQJ

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Those radios were sold with what later became a couple of the MURS frequencies, so no license is required.

r these good radios? i know there not motorola's.................but for hunting and other things i thought these would be alot better then those cheap frms family talk radios..............does anyone know where i can get replacement battery packs for this type of radio?

ki4rvh

MURS has a 2 watt limit. If they can be set down to 2 watts and used on one of the 5 MURS frequencies they would be legal and would make good hunting radios. Be sure you are not on a business band frequency or you will get into big time trouble! Here are the MURS frequencies.

151.820 MHz
151.880 MHz
151.940 MHz
154.570 MHz
154.600 MHz

Chris

Last edited:
these radios have some 2 watt and 5 watt channels...............but if i am out in the middle of nowhere using them how can i get in trouble, if i am not interfering with a business................also these radios have the quiet channel mode option, so maybe that will help me not interfere with anyone when i use these on a road trip?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
r these good radios? i know there not motorola's.................but for hunting and other things i thought these would be alot better then those cheap frms family talk radios..............does anyone know where i can get replacement battery packs for this type of radio?

Define "good".

Have you tried Radio Shack for replacement batteries? You might also try these guys:

BATTERIES AMERICA

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I see I made an error in one of my previous posts. I had looked up 19-1208 on google, came to a page on radioshack.com and then proceeded to click on the wrong link. According to radioshack.com the 19-1208 radios are UHF, not VHF, so my MURS comments are in error. It certainly looks as if a business band license would be required after all.

adamsdawson

If you live in north florida like i do a kind of hilly but woody area i would keep that radio on 5 watts. I have 5 watt murs radios that get 3 miles. 154.6000 Mhz. I dont understand why he can have 5 watts i mean like he said if he is in a rual area than there should be no problem. No one is goning to no how many watts you are using unless you tell them. But if you using them on a road trip on the interstate for example i would not use the BRS freqs. but i would use the murs. You can get into trouble with BRS Freqs.

ki4rvh

these radios have some 2 watt and 5 watt channels...............but if i am out in the middle of nowhere using them how can i get in trouble, if i am not interfering with a business................also these radios have the quiet channel mode option, so maybe that will help me not interfere with anyone when i use these on a road trip?

You may not know u are interfering. You do know that some of us Ham operators and Radio guys just live to find unauthorized people on frequencies and track them down for the FCC. I wouldn't risk it unless you have $10 to $15 thousand laying around you'd like to blow.

zz is right I just looked they are UHF. Looks like they use 464.500, 464.550, 467.7625,467.8125, 467.8500, 467.875,467.900,467.925. I wouldn't risk it, but its up to you. I'd sell the radios and get some on a MURS frequency. Then u can talk all u want and not worry about the vehicle with all the antennas parked beside ur truck when u get done hunting.

Chris

PS- Quiet Chanel will not keep u from interfering with others.

Last edited:

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
We all know that you don't care about the rules or about being caught and fined. Not many people do, its just that you might interfere with legitimate users on that frequency. Stick to license free VHF MURS or FRS UHF frequencies

adamsdawson

I a not a ham but a dislike people who use frqes. that are not unauthorized to use them. FCC makes them privet for a reason. But 5 watts is not going to kill anyone.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
But 5 watts is not going to kill anyone.

Thats where the line gets blurry for some people. Some say "oh its just 5 watts its not going to do anything". Others say "No matter what, its still illegal, and might cause interference". If your going to illegally transmit with 5 watts or just use any frequency at all, please, at least do it on license free bands, not that i'm condoning it though.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

This is the same guy with the '10 meter" radio on CB.:roll::roll:

thank u for all the replies and info...............i will try to get a licensce for these........when i say "good"........they look like they r well built and they work well.............i just thought someone in here might have some experience with these cheap radios..............

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
This is the same guy with the '10 meter" radio on CB.:roll::roll:
Why do some people seem to insist on doing things that are clearly against the rules. The rules were put there so everybody can get fair use of the spectrum. I am in the process of studying for my ham ticket and if I were ever to get the chance to track down somebody like southbound and his "10 meter CB" or "business band" radios I will most surely squeal like a pig and point him out so the FCC or IC can put a stop to his nonsense.:mad::mad:

SCPD

QRT
Why do some people seem to insist on doing things that are clearly against the rules. The rules were put there so everybody can get fair use of the spectrum. I am in the process of studying for my ham ticket and if I were ever to get the chance to track down somebody like southbound and his "10 meter CB" or "business band" radios I will most surely squeal like a pig and point him out so the FCC or IC can put a stop to his nonsense.:mad::mad:

Just what we need... Another HAM Narc....

adamsdawson

David he has done nothing wrong. So far as i know and have been told it is not angainst the rules to have a radio that has freqs. on the that are not licenes free as long as you do not talk on those freqs.
Just becuase you are a ham dose not mean that you can talk on freqs that you are not licenes to ether.
And someone is going have you arested for stalking them down! I plan on having my ham ticket by the time i am 20 but i am not going to shinch on someone. Thats just wrong!!

Status
Not open for further replies.