Need Help Choosing a New 800MHZ Trunking Radio or Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden 264t, a Pro-97, and a Pro-433, but none of them get the kind of reception that I would like no matter what type of antenna I use. I am only monitoring the 800Mhz Motorola trunking band (Fort Worth, Texas) and was wondering if anybody knew of a different scanner or commercial radio that would give me better reception? I only NEED 14 or 15 channles, but if I had access to more I would use them. If anybody has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Jared K.
KE5VLJ
DFW242

mciupa

Database Admin
Have you considered buying an 800 MHz Band Specific antenna , or connecting to a roof-top 800 MHz Yagi aimed at FW ?

What sort of antenna are you using now that isn't "up to snuff" ?

jared2295

Premium Subscriber
Well, I really don't use my radios at home. I am usually in my car or walking around at the scene of a call, so somehting like a yagi really wouldn't help. But thanks for the input.

Thanks,
Jared K.

digitalanalog

Jared,

The scanners your using have nothing to do with what you can and cannot hear, unless your talking about digital.

Saying
no matter what type of antenna I use

Really does not help us/anyone tell you how to improve your area of reception unless you tell us what your actually using or what you have tried.

3 of the major concerns should be:

1) Concentrate on the frequency or frequencies your looking to receive when it comes to an antenna (most times a Yagi is your best bet is the desired stations are in the same coverage[MHz] area)

2) Get whatever antenna you choose as high as you can.

3) Do some research on coax and get some good stuff, cheap coax is the same as using a Junk antenna (not going to recommend coax, everyone has different opinions, do your homework).

Good luck on your hobby.
Jim

I have a Uniden 264t, a Pro-97, and a Pro-433, but none of them get the kind of reception that I would like no matter what type of antenna I use. I am only monitoring the 800Mhz Motorola trunking band (Fort Worth, Texas) and was wondering if anybody knew of a different scanner or commercial radio that would give me better reception? I only NEED 14 or 15 channles, but if I had access to more I would use them. If anybody has any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks,
Jared K.
KE5VLJ
DFW242

Status
Not open for further replies.