Scanner for Cordless Phones and Cell phones???

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post......
I have a old Radio Pro 2006 Scanner and also a Unidenbearcat 895
I used to love listening to Cordless phones with the Pro 2006 and some Cell phones also
years back..
Then we came to Digital Phones and put these scanners too useless?
Just wondering is there any sort of Scanners out there that still can pick up Cordless phones(newer ones in Digital since analog is gone lol}}
Thanks for your times....................JS

bezking

Hello and welcome to RR, Johnny.

Unfortunately cell phones are not monitorable today. You may hear some cordless phones, but not much. Besides, listening to cell phones and cordless phones is illegal.

HTH

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
I used to love listening to Cordless phones with the Pro 2006 and some Cell phones also
years back..
Just wondering is there any sort of Scanners out there that still can pick up Cordless phones(newer ones in Digital since analog is gone lol}}

No...

smason

The 2006 is perfect for Cordless phones in the 900 mhz band (still a bit popular) as it has WFM and a lot of those phones are a bit wider than standard.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I think all of the analog cell frequencies have been shut down. I know mine was a couple of years ago and I was forced to go digital.

Cordless phones can be found in the 49 MHz band and 900 MHz band (and others). There are some threads on here regarding people picking up "baby monitors" as well. But of course you have to be very close to pick any of these things up.

kd7rto

I think all of the analog cell frequencies have been shut down.
The big carriers shut down all their analog AMPS on that magic date of 18 Feb 2008, but at least one small rural carrier is still running it. I got an analog signal recently in Winnemucca, Nv (the phone didn't indicate whether it was A block or B block). I should have thought to dial an invalid number to listen to the error message...next time.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Like I stated before, no. Meaning that you will not be able to receive the newer digital cordless phones. Plus, like "bezking" stated, even if you could it would be illegal at least in the US.

Cordless phones can be found in the 49 MHz band and 900 MHz band (and others). There are some threads on here regarding people picking up "baby monitors" as well. But of course you have to be very close to pick any of these things up.

A lot of the newer digital cordless phones, like the ones "johnnyseconals" was asking about are in the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz ranges.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
**Note**
A lot of cordless phones also use Spread Spectrum frequency hopping... You find it for a second, maybe two,.. then BAM it flips to another frequency.. and again and again... lol

In fact the very reason that cordless phone monitoring is illegal is because of an actual case where I believe it was an senator was overheard doing something not kosher on a cordless by a scanner monitor.... Then the revised law was written..... Long story made short.... Very few of the older 49 MHz phones are around anymore, and unless your getting it on skip, must be very close to hear it.... Funny anecdote- When in college I was searching to see what I could hear,... Restaurants etc.... And heard some "adult entertainment" on a cordless from the dorms nearby lol... Then I found out it was not kosher to listen and skipped to the next band...

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
**Note**
A lot of cordless phones also use Spread Spectrum frequency hopping... You find it for a second, maybe two,.. then BAM it flips to another frequency.. and again and again... lol

In fact the very reason that cordless phone monitoring is illegal is because of an actual case where I believe it was an senator was overheard doing something not kosher on a cordless by a scanner monitor.... Then the revised law was written..... Long story made short.... Very few of the older 49 MHz phones are around anymore, and unless your getting it on skip, must be very close to hear it.... Funny anecdote- When in college I was searching to see what I could hear,... Restaurants etc.... And heard some "adult entertainment" on a cordless from the dorms nearby lol... Then I found out it was not kosher to listen and skipped to the next band...

I remember the 7MHz cordless phones.

ahh, after spending about 20 mins trying to find a copy of an actual news article from that time, I found it online... :)

http://idl53.ils.unc.edu/~junliang/notes/hack/phrack/phrack41/p41-11

"Calls by President Bush and a number of Cabinet officers have been intercepted.
The recordings of car-phone calls made by Virginia Governor L. Douglas Wilder
(D), intercepted by a Virginia Beach restaurant owner and shared with Senator
Charles S. Robb (D-Va.), became a cause ce'le'bre in Virginia politics."

I remember in high school listening to classmates on their cordless phone. Ahh, those were fun. (I also had a tone dialer and a Radio Shack multichannel 49MHz radio...yes, I could make phone calls on their phones) Yes, at the time it was legal. No, the kids I listened to didn't know I did so. Yes, I was the AV weirdo. Yes, I was a geek and a dork. Still am, but I have a wife so I guess I turned out OK enough to accomplish that. Although, I think she loves me for being a geek. :)

Last edited:

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In fact the very reason that cordless phone monitoring is illegal is because of an actual case where I believe it was an senator was overheard doing something not kosher on a cordless by a scanner monitor.... Then the revised law was written....

I think it might of been Newt Gingrich on a cell?

I just remebered all the great things I heard on the Radio shack 2006 from years back....
I know Cell phones are OUT
But I have been reading that many Cordless phones are Digital and their base stations are analog 900..
Am I correct with that?....Thanks to allllll......JS

Net-5

years back..

There is equipment out there that will monitor digital, spread spectrum cordless phones. My understanding is that it is very expensive. And one would have to be very close to the signal to monitor it, since the output power is so low. And as others have already pointed out, the use of such equipment is illegal. So you might consider listening in to other things, there is plenty out there to monitor. :)

kd7rto

If you'll check a few of those units marketed as "2.4 GHz digital" or "5.8 GHz digital", you'll find that a great many of them are digital only from the handset to the base. Base to handset they're still 902-928 MHz analog. Last time I visited with my folks, they asked, "No one can listen in on our brand new digital cordless phone, right"? My BC246T proved that wrong in less than a minute.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As to the equipment for monitoring SS/FH and digital phones, it is designed for the use by telecom professionals to do checks etc of equipment/systems. Service Monitors... Also available for iDEN network maintanence etc.... And yes expensive is just barely touching the price range for the average joe schmoe..... Legaltiy already covered. Also word is that the next generation of portable phones will be full digital both ways. :evil:

jrholm

With this piece of equip. you can monitor any phone with no problems. It's a bit pricey though

Attachments

• AIR_E-8C_JSTARS_Rt_lg.jpg
    AIR_E-8C_JSTARS_Rt_lg.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 8,615
Ha Ha Ha
Only thing I can say is
I remembered living in a townhouse going back too 1999
I think I heard everything lol
From folks cheating too folks that hated me with out my knowing them.
Those were fun days lol being able to listen to at least 10 differant cordless phones or more in my area....
Living in the sticks now I am sure I will pickup nobody but then again who knows?
I just found a New (old) CB radio and I heard nothing,thought about buying a big antenna for the
Cb.But I felt why waste the money.....
But since I still had my Radio shack 2006 I thought I would get some good advise.......
Thanks for your good advise...JS

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
With this piece of equip. you can monitor any phone with no problems. It's a bit pricey though

I like mine a bit more fuel efficient and less noisy...

avbtsv_2_1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.