Wireless Internet Radio for scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

CqDx

Now that we see such a large amount of online scanner streams, I was wondering if anyone has used those wireless internet radio to listen in, and if so, how is it performance wise?

For those who don't know what I meant by wireless internet radio, here is a picture of it

GraceWirelessInternetRadio.jpg

A Buyer's Guide to Wi-Fi Internet Radio Receivers - Portable Internet Radio

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Wireless internet radio for scanning

I just received the new Verizon/Motorola Droid cellphone that has the same scanner streaming capabilities as the ipod & iphone. Can I use this as a tabletop version of the Droid, ipod & iphone & listen to the nationwide scanner streams at my desk? Here are some reviews on this radio.

www.hawkee.com/shop/prod/5727666/reviews

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

NYRHKY94

This is an excellent question from CqDx. There are quite a few models out there now and several of them have good ratings & reviews which you can find online. One of these just "might" be my x-mas present, if somebody can confirm that RR feeds can be listened to using one of these radios?

P.S. I have my eye on the Logitech Squeezebox model

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-aud...-6470_7-33770452.html?tag=contentBody;compare

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
You would need the mount point on the audio streaming server to put in as a URI for those to work.

I have a Roku Sound Bridge and I'm positive it would work, I just have to put the mount point of my audio stream into it and save it.

As long as the model isn't tied to a particular service and allows you to put your own URI's in, you'll be all set.

E-Man

Banned

E-Man

Banned
Another possible option if you have a xbox360, in the latest update:

Xbox.com | Dashboard Updates

Last.fm* – Discover more music and explore endless personalized radio stations with Last.fm on Xbox 360. Skip, “ban” or “love” tracks to create your perfect mix—we’ve even built in “Gamer Stations” with game-related types of music selected specifically for the gaming community(Available in the U.S. and UK)

I have not tried this and not sure how well the xbox360 works as an internet radio?

N0IU

I do not have a dedicated Internet radio device, but I have several streaming audio sources and listen to them through my BlackBerry and iPod Touch, but Pandora is my "go to" source most of the time. Unfortunately my workplace does not have WiFi capabilities since it is a HIPAA facility, but I do listen at home. I don't remember the last time I turned on my "terrestrial" radio.

SCPD

QRT
I use a Grace Bravado (stereo) Internet radio. I listen to a Vancouver Canada Railway feed along with police & fire feeds from all over North America. Some feeds are utilizing both left & right channels (left for police & right for fire). A little difficult to listen to both at the same time though. The beauty of this unit is it also has pretty good stereo sound for music as well. This unit uses the feeds from Reciva Internet Radio which has tens of thousands of stations which are regularly updated. I can also add my own feeds if they are not in the list. I have added my own scanner feed to the list and it works quite well.

NYRHKY94

Just wanted to send a quick report on the Logitech Squeezebox Radio I posted about earlier. I got the unit yesterday and have been happily playing around with it since then. I have set-up my 6 live feeds as preset stations, as well as another 30 feeds as favorites. The sound quality and network connectivity is excellent! Switching from one live feed to another is as simple as pressing a button. It has a very nice color LCD screen that handles alpha tags nicely. I will primarliy be using it bedside in conjunction with a nice pair of wireless headphones.

I'm actually quite amazed at how well this thing works. A real nice addition to the home shack. Highly recommended :)

D

DaveNF2G

My Sony PSP Slim has an "Internet Radio" application on it, but it goes to a particular server for music afaik. Has anyone had any success feeding other audio streams that way?

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
You would need the mount point on the audio streaming server to put in as a URI for those to work.

I have a Roku Sound Bridge and I'm positive it would work, I just have to put the mount point of my audio stream into it and save it.

As long as the model isn't tied to a particular service and allows you to put your own URI's in, you'll be all set.

Confirmed btw, been using my Roku to listen to the scanner a lot lately. Sound quality is just fine. Encoded audio will sound the same on any player...until the speakers become the variable. That's the main difference, the decode is just digital processing. It's the amp and speakers after it that make a difference.

For the very narrow frequency response of scanner audio, most anything should sound pretty decent though.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
My Sony PSP Slim has an "Internet Radio" application on it, but it goes to a particular server for music afaik. Has anyone had any success feeding other audio streams that way?

I remember doing a search and catching some scanner streams with the PSP. It worked well once connected.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Now that we see such a large amount of online scanner streams, I was wondering if anyone has used those wireless internet radio to listen in, and if so, how is it performance wise?

For those who don't know what I meant by wireless internet radio, here is a picture of it

GraceWirelessInternetRadio.jpg

A Buyer's Guide to Wi-Fi Internet Radio Receivers - Portable Internet Radio

I purchased this one for my Mother for Christmas, during setup I found a few scanner streams, some of them were busy ATC centers. It's a cool radio with great sound.

talkpair

Now all that is needed, is for someone to manufacture a 'standalone' appliance to take audio from various devices and stream them to a server, or optionally, to stream AND act as a server.

It would sure take a lot of the headache out of getting a stream up and running

vabiro

Premium Subscriber
There is a must have piece of software for those interested in this topic:

TVersity - Home

This is a Free piece of software that will take any media, be it a local file or an Internet stream, and then transcode it on the fly to be played on almost any device (read: xBox, PSP, Nintendo DS, iPhone, etc) over any network. IOW, formats that are not natively playable on your device can be transcoded by TVersity and played.

Cheers
Victor

kc2rgw

Premium Subscriber
Now all that is needed, is for someone to manufacture a 'standalone' appliance to take audio from various devices and stream them to a server, or optionally, to stream AND act as a server.

It would sure take a lot of the headache out of getting a stream up and running

Pro Audio Gear: Barix Instreamer 100 Network Audio Encoder

A bit pricey, but they are supposed to work nicely.

Incidentally, if you haven't tried the packaged Oddcast streamer software this site makes available....if you run Windows, it really is a no-brainer to set up. Of course you have to run Windows and leave the PC up and running for it to work.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And here are the instructions on how to set it up for RR feeds;

Barix Instreamer 100 Network Audio Encoder Setup Instructions - The RadioReference Wiki

This would be a useful addition to the wiki. Particularly if we could get a list of services that have scanner audio as part of their offerings, which radios seem to work well, how to capture URLs and get them into the radio - there's a bunch of possibilities here.

I have a Pico Wi-Fi at home (unfortunately no wireless - but that's in the works) and I will probably want to see if I can do this as well, once I get my network up and running

73 Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There is a must have piece of software for those interested in this topic:

TVersity - Home

This is a Free piece of software that will take any media, be it a local file or an Internet stream, and then transcode it on the fly to be played on almost any device (read: xBox, PSP, Nintendo DS, iPhone, etc) over any network. IOW, formats that are not natively playable on your device can be transcoded by TVersity and played.

Cheers
Victor

I'll be damned - it too has its own wiki. Small world 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.