MPT1327 Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooddayM8

Are there scanners available for MPT1327? If so, will they work on the TRBO systems when DMR gets released?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Nope, there aren't. I guess that there isn't quite the demand for them. There are software packages you can get to copy and log the data, though. They are linked in our wiki off the main page in the Special Topics gateway

73 Mike

N

N_Jay

Are there scanners available for MPT1327? If so, will they work on the TRBO systems when DMR gets released?
There are no scanners. (probably due to the small market they would have).

If there were they would not work, as MPT1327 is analog and DMR is Digital and there is almost no similarity in the protocols (other than they are both from ETSI).

N

N_Jay

MPT as in Britain's Ministry of Post and Telegraph.

--
Comint

My mistake.
While many MPT standards are superseded by ETSI standard, it seems that MPT-1327 was not.

As I have said many times. "You learn something new every day". :D

jeffbrowning

I'm confused, never needed to scan a trunked system until recently, DeSoto Texas recently switch to a MPT 1327 system, I programmed the 5 frqs listed from RR.com and the PL tones, scan all 5 frgs. and hear everything best I can tell, on a Grecom PSR 300. Any comments?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You're doing the same thing as we did many years ago when Motorola trunking was not available; you're listening to the freqs in a conventional mode. Trunking them would involve hearing specific talkgroups and tracking their activity, which is something no scanner can do.

That being said, there are utilities that would allow you to do this. I'm unsure about this, since there are no MPT systems in my area, but I think you could monitor the system without having to cut the scanner open and get a discriminator tap. In any case, we have a few MPT utilities listed in our Trunked Radio Decoders wiki article linked (all links are in blue) here...

Trunked Radio Decoders - The RadioReference Wiki

73 Mike

phillmobile

There are no scanners. (probably due to the small market they would have)

Amazing when you realise mpt1327 is the widest used trunking protocol on the planet with more radios in use than all the other trunking systems iput together.

If the us of a used it then it would be in the scanners but they dont so it aint.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
PG&E has moved to MPT-1327 Standard

Well when PG&E moved off of their conventional VHF Frequency to a US Trucked system, it would appear that it didn't work well for them. According to RR, they are now on a MPT-1327 Standard system.

I wonder why they would choose such an old trunking system and a UK system at that.

Ubbe

I scan MPT systems as normal analog channels. If I need to see TG and ID I use software decoders on the PC. I also have the special MPT decoder chip in a box that Ian Wraight put together.

Some listeners here use cheap second hand bought Motorola MPT radios to monitor the system. 15-20 years ago there was several local systems in use but now it is only one system left and that owner have setup a DMR system that lays dormant for now, probably waiting to add sites to equal the coverage of the MPT system.

/Ubbe

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
He's actually responding to posts responding to 6 year old posts.

No need for this thread to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.