RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 03-05-2010, 2:45 PM
N8IAA's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fortunately, GA
Posts: 6,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eorange View Post
Which one was (is?) that?
Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds in Berea. Don't know if they do it anymore.
Larry
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 03-06-2010, 3:48 PM
bob-the-scanner-man's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central AL
Posts: 470
Talking

I picked up a Radioshack Pro-2034 for $10 today. The thrift store had it in the as-is/broken section, I tested it with a power adapter at the store and it works fine, they just assumed it was broken because it didn't have a cord(which is a common barrel type that I already have).

I don't hold my breath when it comes to yard sales around here. Most of them usually consist of surplus baby stuff or 30 year old TVs. If they do have scanners/radios they are usually too overpriced to consider negotiating.
__________________
Radioshack Pro-96
Uniden BC-246T
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 03-09-2010, 6:42 AM
commscanaus's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Melbourne VK
Posts: 486
Default

Salvation Army Thrift: AOR AR8000 missing the antenna. Labeled as "radio" for $20.

Pawn Broker: PRO2006 in mint condition. Labeled as "reciever- not works" for $50.
Bought for spares and to re-case a worn out original unit. Later found to be working perfectly!

Garage sale: Standard AX-700 in mint condition. Lady seller did not know what it was.
She took $50 for it and was overjoyed. Intended to re-sell it but held onto it as it is rare and kinda cool!

Always have look in thrift shops and yard sales, never know what you can find!

Commscanaus.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2010, 10:57 PM
KB0VWG's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lyford, Texas
Posts: 470
Thumbs up Not really a thrift store find but at an Auction

Went to a county auction late last year and found a box of radios
4 Motorola Ht90
Motorola Gang Charger
2 Midland Lmr 1340 Mobile with mics and speakers
2 kenwood tk-730s Mobile with mics and speakers
1 Motorola Maxtrac with mic, remote head and speaker.
1 Ge vhf unit with mic and speaker
Several more external midland speakers.
All of this for the price of $5.00 and no I didnt do a typo on the price
All of these radios work fine except the potable radios the batteries were dead.

That was the best radio deal ever I think, pretty close to being free or maybe a steal.
73s
Michael
kb0vwg
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 03-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,789
Default

Best find in all the years we have gone to garage and rummage sales....

Yaesu FT-101EE, was grandpa's CB radio according to the seller. They wanted $25, i looked at with partial interest, though i really wanted it inside, i said "it's pretty old, tube type even", seller said ok $25 and you get the other stuff that went with it, i just didn't want to haul it all out unless someone showed interest.

Got a FT-101EE, Speaker, D-104, YC-601 external display (awesome old nixie tube display) and 6m Transverter for it as well.

Sold it one piece at a time on eBay for over $700. I actually kept the radio and used it for a shortwave receiver for about a half a year before parting with it.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2011, 6:42 PM
KB0VWG's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lyford, Texas
Posts: 470
Default

My thift store find the other day were 2 Motorola M1225 Mobiles with Mics for the total of $8.00 Dollars. They have been programmed and are working great.
Michael
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northglenn Colorado
Posts: 77
Default

I have found several interesting scanners over the years. Don't have model #'s with me, I found an old realistic four crystal pocket scan, back door missing and no antenna, I believe I paid 3 or 4 bucks for it. I dumpster dived at an estate sale for a 1980's desktop scanner, the box and owners manual were still together, I didn't pay anything for that one. A regency desktop scanner, paid 5 bucks for it, A realistic pro-2002 that came with several police call frequency manuals from the 70's. I also have 2-3 base units from the 80's pretrunking scanners.
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 10-16-2011, 10:30 PM
GlacierClipper's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
Posts: 853
Default

Recently found a Radio Shack Pro-2028 50 channel scanner and a Uniden BC60XLT 30 channel in a thrift store. The Pro-2028 works great even came with the antenna and power suppy. The BC60XLT, needed batteries and power supply, now it works also. All for $10.00.
__________________
GlacierClipper
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2011, 7:54 AM
freqs's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: warren michigan
Posts: 1,195
Default

I haul Dumpster's for a living and find all kinds of radio's scanners 2 way radio's shortwave most work some need tubes power cord's .I have found a Zenith Trans Oceanic T 600.Hallicrafter S 40 B .a West German made EMUD T7 .Robyn Hi Low Bander 8+8 .Regency Touch k100 .Uniden 210xw.Regency Monitoradio .Citi Phone CB .Cobra 138 all in dumpsters I have hauled to the lanfill Ive also found Guns coins Freq counters .Money a Car from the 30's was in a can I hauled
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 4,314
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Recently I have come into a few finds. First was a set of Sinclair BpBr 4can set with a split of about 450Khz, second was a set of Sinclair Res-Loc's 136-174Mhz 500Khz-80db isolation,both sets of cans came out of a decommissioned oilfield repeater site that is schedualed for descruction. Third was a MSR2000 found in a garbage pile tuned to 162Tx/167Rx with 146-174Mhz exiter/reciever and 162-174Mhz PA. Fourth is a DB products split 8-bay(2-4bay) 450-470Mhz light duty repeater antenna. Total cost $0 except for fuel to haul it away!!! Although not a thrift store find, it was a great bunch of scrounging!!!
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology, it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #31 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2011, 4:47 PM
R1VINCE's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, Ca.
Posts: 412
Default

These are some of my deals if come across over the years.


BCT15: $75
Lady posted it in craigslist. I jumped on it. When i got there, she told me it was from a previous tenant of her rental and the couple split and wife was tryin to get rid of this stuff to pay the remaining balance.

PRO2006 - $25
craiglists - Flawless condition. Guy said it was his brothers and that he moved overseas and need to get rid of some of his stuff.

PRO2006 - $40
craigslist - terrible condition but operating. Couple says it belong to their grandfather who past years ago and they found this in the closet and that it turns on but doesnt work. It works fine.

Yeasu VX5-RS - Free
Friend of a friend has this radio that he got in pieces. I put it back together and it works fine.

AOR AR8200M3 - $200
Craigslist ad said "like new". I got to the guy in San Francisco and he said he was in the "surveillance business". He had just bought it 8 days prior. Gave me the receipt and everything. Said he was done with it and didnt like the features. Says it was "too complicated". I asked "why dont you return it then?". He said he didnt want the hassle of crossing the bridge to bring it back(purchased at HRO-Oakland).

PRO2004 - Free
Given to me from another "friend of a friend" that knew I liked this stuff. Radio was DOA but revived back to life that evening.

IC-R70 - $100
Craigslist ad said it was "no longer needed". Went to this guys house to see that he had a plethora of other HF gear and that he really did not need it.

Sangean 803A/Radio Shack DX 440 - Total $15 for both
Found one of each at 2 different Goodwill stores here in Northern California on the SAME DAY. the Sangean was $10-"no power cord". the DX440 was $5-"no power cord - unknown working condition".
Ive since sold these radios. both were in "immaculate condition".

BC898T - $50
Craigslist - original asking price was $95 - "3months old - like new with box and everything that came with it". I got there and the guy says there is a "small problem" with the power adapter cord. His little dog chewed on it and Im guessing it shorted it out. I gave one of those quirky looks of dismay and as soon as he saw my face, he says "ill knock it down to $50 because of that". I paused for a moment, trying VERY hard to contain my enlightment of the "new" price, and in a reluctant voice said "oh alright".

Back in 2008 I got a 780xlt for $100. It came with a powerful laptop(DELL XPS M1710) that the guy was using to connect to it to try and program it. I wasnt expecting the latop at all.

2x PRO2045 from ebay - $50 including shipping from 2 independant sellers

BC9000XLT - $25.
Craigslist - in flawless condition
__________________
My Youtube page
Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old 10-21-2011, 8:31 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: In the 'patch
Posts: 4,314
Default

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1VINCE
These are some of my deals if come across over the years.


BCT15: $75
Lady posted it in craigslist. I jumped on it. When i got there, she told me it was from a previous tenant of her rental and the couple split and wife was tryin to get rid of this stuff to pay the remaining balance.

PRO2006 - $25
craiglists - Flawless condition. Guy said it was his brothers and that he moved overseas and need to get rid of some of his stuff.

PRO2006 - $40
craigslist - terrible condition but operating. Couple says it belong to their grandfather who past years ago and they found this in the closet and that it turns on but doesnt work. It works fine.

Yeasu VX5-RS - Free
Friend of a friend has this radio that he got in pieces. I put it back together and it works fine.

AOR AR8200M3 - $200
Craigslist ad said "like new". I got to the guy in San Francisco and he said he was in the "surveillance business". He had just bought it 8 days prior. Gave me the receipt and everything. Said he was done with it and didnt like the features. Says it was "too complicated". I asked "why dont you return it then?". He said he didnt want the hassle of crossing the bridge to bring it back(purchased at HRO-Oakland).

PRO2004 - Free
Given to me from another "friend of a friend" that knew I liked this stuff. Radio was DOA but revived back to life that evening.

IC-R70 - $100
Craigslist ad said it was "no longer needed". Went to this guys house to see that he had a plethora of other HF gear and that he really did not need it.

Sangean 803A/Radio Shack DX 440 - Total $15 for both
Found one of each at 2 different Goodwill stores here in Northern California on the SAME DAY. the Sangean was $10-"no power cord". the DX440 was $5-"no power cord - unknown working condition".
Ive since sold these radios. both were in "immaculate condition".

BC898T - $50
Craigslist - original asking price was $95 - "3months old - like new with box and everything that came with it". I got there and the guy says there is a "small problem" with the power adapter cord. His little dog chewed on it and Im guessing it shorted it out. I gave one of those quirky looks of dismay and as soon as he saw my face, he says "ill knock it down to $50 because of that". I paused for a moment, trying VERY hard to contain my enlightment of the "new" price, and in a reluctant voice said "oh alright".

Back in 2008 I got a 780xlt for $100. It came with a powerful laptop(DELL XPS M1710) that the guy was using to connect to it to try and program it. I wasnt expecting the latop at all.

2x PRO2045 from ebay - $50 including shipping from 2 independant sellers

BC9000XLT - $25.
Craigslist - in flawless condition
Those are great finds, wish I could find stuff at those deals, my luck has come as a direct result of my work, not shopping
__________________
Interoperatablity is not a technology, it is an attitude!!!
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2011, 9:36 AM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Sand Springs OK
Posts: 970
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1VINCE View Post
These are some of my deals if come across over the years.


BCT15: $75
Lady posted it in craigslist. I jumped on it. When i got there, she told me it was from a previous tenant of her rental and the couple split and wife was tryin to get rid of this stuff to pay the remaining balance.

PRO2006 - $25
craiglists - Flawless condition. Guy said it was his brothers and that he moved overseas and need to get rid of some of his stuff.

PRO2006 - $40
craigslist - terrible condition but operating. Couple says it belong to their grandfather who past years ago and they found this in the closet and that it turns on but doesnt work. It works fine.

...
You should get with one of the networks that produce those "Auction Whatever" shows and get your own show for shopping/prowling thrift stores. If nothing else, you've probably inspired at a few forum members into checking for bargains in interesting places.
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old 10-22-2011, 1:18 PM
R1VINCE's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fairfield, Ca.
Posts: 412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N5TWB View Post
You should get with one of the networks that produce those "Auction Whatever" shows and get your own show for shopping/prowling thrift stores. If nothing else, you've probably inspired at a few forum members into checking for bargains in interesting places.
The deals are out there. And as you can see, its not just radio gear. There are many unsuspecting sellers that dont know what they have exactly. An advantage to the "picker".

Not all deals have been good ones. For every radio I acquire, theres a dozen or so radios that I walked away from or skipped entirely.

Its taken a long time and a lot of searching to find the bargains. But none of it is/was "needed" at the time of purchase. I just happen to stroll upon listings that tap my interest at the time. Just be patient. I often see so-called deals on used radios only to find a better deal elsewhere a few days or weeks later.

And dont be afraid to ask the seller to trade. Thats actually worked out for me in the past.
Example: my broken down and damaged(bent forks)1983 Yamaha Jog 50cc scooter with no plastic fairings but runs - traded for a IC-R7000, functioning but with some faults(bad display). That was a straight trade.
__________________
My Youtube page
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old 12-29-2011, 8:36 PM
KB0VWG's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lyford, Texas
Posts: 470
Thumbs up Another steal

Purchase a kenwood tk-863g and power supply and desk mic for $30 dollars,tested and working.
kb0vwg
73's
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #36 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 6:55 AM
jonny290's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 692
Default

I found a Pro-94 in an abandoned refrigerator in the middle of the woods once.

One 24 hour bath in 99% isopropyl and a box of Q-tips later, and I had a functioning spare scanner.

State land too, just a fridge dumped off the side of an access road.

Was the weirdest thing.
__________________
KC4YLV
Scanner (antenna)
Scanner 2 (antenna 2)
Ham radio with lots of crazy buttons
Fire department radio, a pager and a baby monitor
oh and i have a clock radio that picks up cuba
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 4:51 PM
KB0VWG's Avatar
Member
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lyford, Texas
Posts: 470
Smile Totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny290 View Post
I found a Pro-94 in an abandoned refrigerator in the middle of the woods once.

One 24 hour bath in 99% isopropyl and a box of Q-tips later, and I had a functioning spare scanner.

State land too, just a fridge dumped off the side of an access road.

Was the weirdest thing.
I have to say that does seem kinda strange, a scanner in a fridge in the middle of nowhere.
Michael
kb0vwg
wqoi992
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 6:56 PM
donny612's Avatar
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 44
Default Dejavu

I used to have a scanner like that one but I do believe it was another brand, like maybe Radio Shack, back in the day.
__________________
Don
N4APX
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old 12-30-2011, 9:51 PM
datainmotion's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,520
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB0VWG View Post
I have to say that does seem kinda strange, a scanner in a fridge in the middle of nowhere.
Depends on what your definition of strange is, I suppose...
__________________
Travelling through Colorado?
wir hören zu
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old 12-31-2011, 7:56 AM
BeerNutz's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kma371 View Post
This is a scanning forum, not the tavern. Knock it off.
Oh the glow, the lines and knobs ponting up when activated. My moral scruples have been digitized.

Since viewing that picture, I have given my radios female names. I have found it takes less time to program a radio than a.... never mind.
__________________
Uniden BCT7 x 2, Uniden BCT8 x 2, Uniden BC355C x 2, Uniden BCT15X, GRE PSR-800, GRE PSR-410 x 4

Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 2:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions