The difference between Regular and Digital scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhogan928

I'm looking to buy a new digital scanner, but I can't seem to understand the difference between the two of them. Which one is the best digital that isn't over 500 dollars, and is there a link somewhere where there is a comparison between the two, or a better understanding of digital?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm looking to buy a new digital scanner, but I can't seem to understand the difference between the two of them. Which one is the best digital that isn't over 500 dollars, and is there a link somewhere where there is a comparison between the two, or a better understanding of digital?

I just bought the pro-197 for $349 at radio shack which is on sale,but do NOT let them program it for you unless you want incorrect info in it.
It will do everything you need,but READ the book on it well. It's nothing like what you might be used to so it's a real learning curve.:)
n9zas

mrhex

I would generally agree with what gewecke says. Either the Pro 197 or the Pro 106, depending on what your needs are probably, is the cheapest 'digital' type of scanner on the market currently. I won't get into the pros or cons of the scanner brands here otherwise I'll go off topic. The only thing that these two scanners don't support is LTR. Correct if I'm wrong, but its my understanding that using on LTR on public safety systems is on the decline.

I figure as long as a scanner can do APCO-P25, it is sufficiently future-proofed. I don't know which county Enfield is in, so I can't say for sure which systems are use in your area.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would generally agree with what gewecke says. Either the Pro 197 or the Pro 106, depending on what your needs are probably, is the cheapest 'digital' type of scanner on the market currently. I won't get into the pros or cons of the scanner brands here otherwise I'll go off topic. The only thing that these two scanners don't support is LTR. Correct if I'm wrong, but its my understanding that using on LTR on public safety systems is on the decline.
The Pro-197 & Pro-106 each will do LTR, which is used used by a few smaller departments in my area (though that's certainly not the case everywhere).

It is the previous model digital scanners sold by Radio Shack, the Pro-96 (handheld) & Pro-2096 (base/mobile) that do not trunk track LTR. They also do not receive mil-air or 700mhz frequencies out of the box. While those frequencies can be "unlocked" by software such as Win96, the performance may be unpredictable. Also, even though 700mhz can be received if unlocked, the 96/2096 scanner series still would not trunk track a system using those frequencies.

The Pro-106/-197 (GRE equivalents PSR-500/PSR-600) will do LTR, mil-air, 700mhz trunking, etc. As will the current Uniden digitals, BCD396XT (handheld) or BCD996XT (base/mobile). So will the previous versions, BCD396T & BCD996T. With the exception of the BCD396T & BCD996T, the rest of this group will can also utilize the NAC code used on conventional P25 (digital, but not on a trunked system). That's an advantage that the older digitals (Pro96, BC296D, BC250D) don't have either.

In general, the digital scanners have more memory capacity for frequencies and talkgroups, as well as a few additional features, than their analog stablemates from the same manufacturer. See the Wiki for more comparison information.

R1VINCE

'cmon dude

digital ones do evryihng as the others BUT the others do not do digital

jhogan928,

The difference between digital and non-digital scanners is that the digital capable scanners will allow the end user to listen to sytems that transmit in unencrypted P25, whether its a trunk system or a single channel.
Other than that, there is really no difference between these and there analog counterparts, except for maybe the amount of memory in some brands(digital capable radios having larger memory capacities than analog)

Good Luck!

jhogan928

Thanks guys for the information. I like Uniden scanners and I was looking at the BC396XT. Now i am just looking up and comparing it with others. I have a BCT15 in my truck and I was looking at replacing my old 1998 Radioshack scanner I have for the house.

sfd119

I would def the BC396XT. Unidens are very easy to program with the FreeScan software. RadioShack/PSRs don't have free programming software and are quite difficult to use.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
The difference between digital v. analog is that one is a pain in the arse to program where's the other one not so. :lol: Have a look at Radioreference's "wiki" pages:

Radio Shack Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Uniden Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Regardless, most of what is out there is in one digital facet or another. (Business and politics play an important part in scanning lol)

After you decide which one you want the next obstacle will be programing. Now-a-days a lot of people have exchanged data files of their scanner's info. So if someone in your area has the same scanner as you they could upload the scanner's contents for you to program into the scanner, or use this site's programing capability with participating software.

Good luck grasshopper.

jhogan928

sorry, i meant to say that I am looking to buy the base scanner Uniden BCD996XT not the BCD396XT. Is there a difference other then base and handheld? What would be the best base antenna to buy for it, and should I buy the ARCXT software for it or should i continue to use BCTOOL, or will that not work with the BCD996XT?

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Digital Radios are slowly making their way into the radio market, as with any new technology. Me, I would get a portable scanner. You can carry it with you if you need it. Disaster , emergency , its portable and you can carry it with you. If you like , get an outside antenna mounted on your house. I prefer the scanners like radio shack and others that uses a BNC connector - ( which is one of the things that radio shack actually does well. ). BNC connnectors are more easily used and connected in my opinion.

Keep a small notebook with important radio freqs and keep them with the scanner if you ever need them.

FF - Medic

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.