Ipod Touch and scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

keithmj

Saint Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Hi All..I ordered an 32GB Ipod Touch and haven't received it yet and I know nothing about them and I was wondering if there are any applications that I could add to use to listen to the radio scanners. It has the WiFi but didn't want to navigate through the ipod to get to the website. I know there is one for the Blackberry but was wondering what and if others were using any special program on their Ipod Touch? I just downloaded the owners manual to see what it can do. Any info about this? Does anyone listen with the ipod and how do you use it..Thanks and Cheers..Keithmj

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I also have the 32GB iPod Touch, got it back in March. I listen to scanner feeds these 2 ways:

- I go to www.radioreference.com using the Safari web browser. You'll see the mobile version of the site, which is very easy to navigate to find the audio feeds.

- I downloaded "5-0 Radio" from the app store. It was free on a promotion, still might be, but not sure. Looks like it provides a front-end to radioreference's feeds.

The app store has other live scanner feed applications, but you'll have to pay a couple bucks (literally, i.e. they're not a lot of $) for them.

StatuSChecKa

Yes, there are a dozen scanner applications.
You can download iTunes on your computer and start browsing the App store, and already start buying apps that you like/want.

eorange

5-0 Radio doesn't support multitasking.

Safari will play RR live feeds in QuickTime, and that does support multitasking.

keithmj

I downloaded "5-0 Radio" from the app store. I can't wait to install it. Paid two dollars for it but I heard that it is worth it, if not it was a low price. Since this is not an iphone then i would be safe to assume that I need to use the WiFi to get it to work? Guess I'll find out more when I get to pick up my ipod. The lowest price I could find was at Walmart and I am having it delivered to the store. It was forty dollars cheaper than buying it at the store. When my Verizon account expires next year I might just get the iphone after I do some research about it..Cheers..Keithmj

eorange

Yes, you'll need WiFi for it to work.

You'll love it; it's an amazing device. I actually DON'T use it as my MP3 player, but do use it for everything else (astronomy apps, mobile web browsing, some games, news, EchoLink, on and on...)

Be sure to search the App Store for the FREE categories. For instance, the weather channel offers their app for free, which zeroes right in on the weather, radar, and severe alerts. You could browse to weather.com, but firing up the app is a lot quicker.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Police Scanner 2 will run in the background just fine... and uses the RR feeds.

On an iPhone the RR mobile site does not work great streaming through Quicktime in 3G, but works fine on a wifi network.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Action scanner is good also.

It has four banks of four feeds each.

You can only scan one bank of four feeds
at a time.

But it is more like a scanner then a receiver.

Also download AOL radio.

Enjoy

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
I also have 5-0 Radio, I haven't paid for it, just using the free version with ads. Haven't used it much but it does work fine.

Only issue I've noted with streaming, is since it keeps the wifi continuously active, the ipod eats its battery fast! Not much run time when doing that...

n5usr

Premium Subscriber
"Police Radio" is another one. Its FREE and its not a lite version.

Do you know who wrote it (or the vendor)? Just checked, and the one that's actually named just "Police Radio" says it is 99 cents (not like that's a big deal) but there are many others with slight variations on the title. A few show Free, but of course I'm not sure which one you were referring to...

I wouldn't mind trying a few, but I'm not about to go through 20 apps, there sure are a lot on there! :p

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Actually the name is "911 Police Radio Free!" and it says its not a lite version and from what i can tell its correct.

D

DaveNF2G

It amazes me that people with plunk down 300 dollars for something they "know nothing about."

Version 4 of the operating system is out now and supposedly offers improved multitasking. I haven't given that a real test yet.

keithmj

Oh well, that's life.

It amazes me that people with plunk down 300 dollars for something they "know nothing about."

Version 4 of the operating system is out now and supposedly offers improved multitasking. I haven't given that a real test yet.

Kinda crazy isn't it? But yet people will spend $10000.00 to 160000.00 for a shiny new Toyota or Jaguar which they "know nothing about" or spend $600.00 for a digital scanner "which they know nothing about" I guess we just live in a crazy world..To each his own..Cheers

eorange

Actually the name is "911 Police Radio Free!" and it says its not a lite version and from what i can tell its correct.
I tried this app last night, but it didn't work - there were no channels listed at all & nothing to pick from. Kinda like an empty app. I do have the iOS4 update.

Just FYI for all...

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I tried this app last night, but it didn't work - there were no channels listed at all & nothing to pick from. Kinda like an empty app. I do have the iOS4 update.

Just FYI for all...

Thats weird, I also have the iOS4 and its working excellent for me.

keithmj

Updated

Just FYI for all...

I have heard several people who update to iOS4 that they were having all kinds of problems and suggested to me to wait to do any updating..Guess I'll wait when I get mine.

Also "5-0 radio Rocks!!!" Anyone know what program for the computer will do about the same thing? It sounds like a nice app..Cheers..Keithmj

Status
Not open for further replies.