Wi-Fi Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty12122

Ok, here's the scoop. 1 channel and 1 channel only on my scanners (155.58) comes in super noisy (Filled with Interference).

The problem goes only goes away in 2 situations:

A) I turn off my Wi-Fi router/modem a few feet away OR
B) I pick up the scanner(s) and lift them a few inches off whatever they were sitting on. Noise comes back as soon as I put them down again.

I have the same problem with both my BCT15X and Motorola GP380, anywhere in and around the house.

Any solutions/ideas?

AYoung2600

I have the exact same problem on the exact same frequency. I haven't figured out a way to fix it though.

k9rzz

1. Turn off WiFi
2. Move scanner antenna farther away.
3. Lock out frequency.

Duh.

icon7.gif

ty12122

Well, Turing off the Wi-Fi isn't really an option as I have over 6 thing that all use the Wi-Fi,

L/O ing the frequency isn't really much of a an option either as it's the police frequency for most of the county, really don't want to mis out on that either (Sucks as it is because I cant hear half of what comes through anyway...)

And finally moving the scanner doesn't help one bit...... Interference covers the whole house along with 2-3 house radius.....

N0YFE

Different Channel

Well, Turing off the Wi-Fi isn't really an option as I have over 6 thing that all use the Wi-Fi,

L/O ing the frequency isn't really much of a an option either as it's the police frequency for most of the county, really don't want to mis out on that either (Sucks as it is because I cant hear half of what comes through anyway...)

And finally moving the scanner doesn't help one bit...... Interference covers the whole house along with 2-3 house radius.....

You may have luck by selecting a different WiFI channel. I'm not sure if it may help but picking one of the extremes may help.

K9WG

Try wrapping the power and data cables around a toroid core. The WiFi might be shooting RF (trash) down the power lines or through the telephone lines. You might also try grounding the scanner chassis.

SCPD

QRT
Is the router and scanner plugged into the same electrical source? If so, off the same electrical source.

If this isn't the case, the only real option you have is moving something. Move either the wifi router or the scanner, something is going to need to be relocated.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I don't have the link handy at the moment, but there is a Canadian ham that has a sizeable writeup online about Linksys router noise and how he mitigated it.

If you try a Google search for "Linksys RFI" or similar, you should find it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Haven't you noticed a conflict here???

B) I pick up the scanner(s) and lift them a few inches off whatever they were sitting on. Noise comes back as soon as I put them down again.

Like my ex-boss used to say "One disaster at a time." Until and unless the primary issue is resolved we may not proceed with any degree of certainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.