firmware update for Pro 96

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFfreeTLD

Can the 1.3 be downloaded or is that only in new 96s? I only see the 1.2 on the Radio Shack software page.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
RFfreeTLD said:
Can the 1.3 be downloaded or is that only in new 96s? I only see the 1.2 on the Radio Shack software page.

I think you are refering to DSP updates. Firmware cannot be updated. You must buy the newer versions of the scanner to receive the new firmware version. The DSP version upgrade can be downloaded and updated. This will allow your scanner to track MOT 9600 Baud systems. It also tunes the analog audio to better match the digital audio.

If you are having a problem with one of the problems mentioned in my first post(firmware revisions), call your local RS where you bought the scanner and talk to them about getting one of the newer scanners with the newer firmware version to fix the problem.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"This will allow your scanner to track MOT 9600 Baud systems"

Not quite - the scanner was released with the purpose of scanning 9600 baud... The download update allows for CQPSK tracking.

- Rob

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
OK, now that RS has fixed the talkgroup problem, what are they going to do with all the scanners out there that still have this problem? I mean, I intend to return my radio since it's still under the thirty day warranty and get a new one, but now I have to check for the new firmware version.

By the way, to the original poster, where did you get this info?

DonS

AEMTKieran said:
I intend to return my radio since it's still under the thirty day warranty
The PRO-96 carries a one-year warranty - not thirty days.

Perhaps you're thinking of the in-store return/refund period?

JimmyCT

I think you are refering to DSP updates. Firmware cannot be updated. You must buy the newer versions of the scanner to receive the new firmware version.

Can any one please tell me,more about these new Pro-96's,my pro-96 seems to work fine,what wil I be missing out?

I bought mine in Jan,2004,are these considered the old one's?
you also said"It also tunes the analog audio to better match the digital audio."

Does anybody have a link to this new info?,I bought it in U.S.A. but I have not heard a word about these new pro-96's,still a bit unclear,thanks or any help on this matter.

I guess I'll have to phone the store,just to make sure :x

Voyager

JimmyCT said:
Can any one please tell me,more about these new Pro-96's,my pro-96 seems to work fine,what wil I be missing out?

I bought mine in Jan,2004,are these considered the old one's?
you also said"It also tunes the analog audio to better match the digital audio."

Read the first reply on the different versions.

V1.1 came out with the units in September.

V1.2 came out in April, I think. (It fixed the TG lockout bug in bank 4 above ch 8 )

V1.3 is just coming out now. (which fixes the decoding on TGs 4xxxx or so)

Note: These above are FIRMWARE versions, NOT DSP. DSP is different.

DSP V1.1 came out with the units in September.

DSP V1.2 came out in January and added CQPSK (and matched the audio levels better plus improved the C4FM decoding).

Joe M.

JimmyCT

Thank you Joe M,and other people,I now understand there just DSP upgrades and that version 1.3 - fixed 48xxx TG prob,does anybody have any idea of when it will be released? I can only see version 1.2 which I already installed,thanks

Voyager

JimmyCT said:
Thank you Joe M,and other people,I now understand there just DSP upgrades and that version 1.3 - fixed 48xxx TG prob,does anybody have any idea of when it will be released? I can only see version 1.2 which I already installed,thanks

You might want to re-read my post just above your last one. The 48xxx solution is a FIRMWARE change, not a DSP change.

You cannot install or upgrade the FIRMWARE. If you installed it, you are looking at the DSP version. As for when the 1.3 FIRMWARE came out, I guess it just has. The only way to get it is to buy a new unit.

There will be no DSP fix for the 48xxx TG problem. (AFAIK)

Joe M.

West of the Muddy Creek, East of the Big Hill.
Some firmware products can be updated/upgraded by software.

A example is the BIOS on a computer motherboard. AKA BIOS Firmware.

The process is simple if a company wants to invest the time in writing an upgrade software program for the given product.

IBM use the process to upgrade many of the AS 400 computers that are still in service today. The AS 400 was build in the mid 1980's in the IBM Plant in Rochester, Minnestoa.

That was used many times during the Y2K scare!

Voyager

GlacierClipper said:

Here we go again. :roll:

SCANNERS (not PCs or Cellphones or toasters or anything else) are subject to the ECPA. As such, manufacturers make the units with the firmware stored in ROM specifically so they CANNOT BE UPGRADED BY THE USER TO RESTORE CELLULAR FREQUENCIES. The ROM is soldered in and cannot be upgraded or replaced by most people. They have to do this in order to receive type acceptance on the units. The FCC SPECIFICALLY prohibits the firmware from being user upgradable. Thank the Cellular industry for this nice 'feature'.

The ROM (FIRMWARE) in your PRO-96 is NOT UPGRADABLE. Comprende? 8)

ONLY the DSP is upgradable by the user.

I do not consider having the factory replacing the board as a 'firmware upgrade' - it's a replacement of the board - period. (not that RS has ever committed to doing this AFAIK)

It does bring up an interesting point: What is RS's policy to fix the TG LO bug and the RX bug on 4xxxx TGs on units with V1.1 firmware? Will they replace the unit?

Joe M.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Voyager said:
GlacierClipper said:

It does bring up an interesting point: What is RS's policy to fix the TG LO bug and the RX bug on 4xxxx TGs on units with V1.1 firmware? Will they replace the unit?

Joe M.

I have written to RS via email, and I'm waiting for an answer. Of course, I'm not holding my breath :)

robwilson

This was the response I received from RS regarding firmware upgrade for the PRO-96:

"Yes, we will have an upgrade program. We are currently working on the
logistics for this upgrade. We do not have a timeframe as to when it
will be ready. We can only suggest you periodically (once a month)
contact us to see if it is in place."

That was in May. I checked with them once more last month and received the same reply.

Rob

JimmyCT

Well from all the posts it look's like we have abunch of out dated scanners,thank you RADIO SCRAP! For yet another great product!

You must buy the newer versions of the scanner to receive the new firmware version,I hope they will do some kind of exchange,or replace it,but these people are out to make a buck,so I don't think they will just give you a new one. Time will tell. This really sucks!,thanks again Radio Scrap! :evil:

Voyager

JimmyCT said:
Well from all the posts it look's like we have abunch of out dated scanners,thank you RADIO SCRAP! For yet another great product!

Be sure you thank the right people - the Cellular industry. They are the ones who bought the ECPA. It's not just Radio Shack - ALL scanners are subject to the same restrictions. So, if you don't like it, I guess you won't be buying any more scanners - period.

Joe M.

Status
Not open for further replies.