World Scanner Report Newsletters from Bill Cheek?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bds2

I was wondering if anyone has copies of Bill Cheek's old World Scanner Report newsletters? I have a few that I bought as back issues in the 1990's, and was interested in reading through more of them to see what he wrote about as he was developing and selling the CE-232 interface for the Pro-2004/5/6 scanners. I have his books, and bought a Pro-2006 with the CE-232 a few year ago to play around with, and that got me interested in what he was writing about back then. Unfortunately not much of his work seems to have survived on the Internet - even the Wayback Machine doesn't have any records of his website. I imagine he kept pretty tight control over his intellectual material even though he also shared a lot of information.

Thanks in advance,

Brett
bsaylor@gmail.com

jaydoc666

Hi Guys...I am wishing to recover my collection as well

I used to have all of Bill's World Scanner Reports. These all went into storage while I was serving in Afghanistan. Unfortunately for me they were stolen. I had the binders in a military foot locker with all the memorabilia from my first deployment...so, my copies went with that stuff.... incredible what people will steal. I mean the thieves knew the stuff belonged to a soldier and that it came from Afghanistan....

I would like to recover my WSR collection. I am in the process of rebuilding my 2006 mods. I am transferring the radio into a new chassis and i could really use the schematics in the WSR. My lab notebook was in the locker as well. I have done around thirty mods to my 2006 and I literally cant figure out everything I did. So I need the WSRs to complete that project. Plus, it is so fun to read Bill's writing...that guy just had an irreverent personality that made for a good read.

Bill was a good person and I really liked corresponding with him. He was smart...and although I already had electronics training....my old pro-2006 and Bill's guidance gave me an interest in hacking and engineering that ultimately resulted in my building avionics equipment for aircraft like the B-1B, F-16 and C-130. So, in a way, there is some of Bill out there defending the country.

Any help getting copies would be appreciated.

B

bds2

First of all, thank you for your service to your country - it is very much appreciated here. Glad that Bill was able to help, and I'm sure he would have appreciated knowing about how he helped you.

Sorry that your WSR's were stolen; since I posted my original message I haven't heard from anyone with copies to lend or sell. I saw some on an eBay auction, but the price was too high for my wallet.

Do you have any of Bill's scanner books? He documents a number of mods for the 2006 in them - for example, in his 3rd book The Ultimate Scanner he has all the schematics, board layout, parts list etc. for the CE-232. I can look up any specific mods in the table of contents if you want. You can usually get used copies them on Amazon or eBay.

Brett

eyeball57

WSR Collection

I was searching to see if these Newsletters had ever been posted and found this thread. I have most if not all of the Newsletters. And I own his books. I believe they are in my barn. I saw them in the last 5 months. I had a couple articles in his newsletter. Are there particular articles you need?

eyeball57

I found my WSR notebook. I have, I think, all the newsletters and the Index sheets he used to send out. I have not looked in my barn lately but I am pretty sure I have his 3 books as well. If the mice haven't eaten them. Let me know if there is a particular MOD you are looking for.

imported_bds2

I'm very interested in the articles about the Pro-2006 and Pro-2035, and the CE-232 interface. That may be quite a few newsletters, though. I'd be more than happy to pay cost of reproduction and postage if you're able to.

Thanks,
Brett
bsaylor@gmail.com

eyeball57

Yes that would be LOTS of articles. Especially on the 2006. I think that one was one of Bills favorites to mod. I have the reference guide, or table of contents, for all his newsletters. Maybe I could scan it and you could see which articles would interest you. Not sure if I can post it here or not. Ira

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'm quite sure that most of those mods (maybe not everything) has since been distributed to many sites, including the various Yahoo groups concerning modifications. A well structured Google search should turn them up.

Mike

imported_bds2

Yes that would be LOTS of articles. Especially on the 2006. I think that one was one of Bills favorites to mod. I have the reference guide, or table of contents, for all his newsletters. Maybe I could scan it and you could see which articles would interest you. Not sure if I can post it here or not. Ira

I do have an index from back in the day, and someone sent me another version of it from a posting here on RR. I'll take a look through it and see if I can ID a few copies that would be most useful.

Thanks for the offer!

Brett

imported_bds2

Hi Ira,

There are a few issues that I would be interested in seeing:

V6N1
V4N4
V4N1
V3N5
V2N10
V2N8

If you would be able to provide any or all of these, I would be very much in your debt. Please PM me.

Thank,
Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.