Looking for a Laptop that doesn't have RFI issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncleblackie

Hi all,

I'm Looking for an 11 to 12 inch laptop for in vehicle mobile scanning use that does not have RFI issues.

Laptops are notorious for producing RFI either from their adapters or from the lappy itself due to insufficient
shielding.

I know that using a unit that has aluminum or some other metal alloy chassis/cover would be best but I don't want to go to the expense of a macbook or asus zenbook or something similar.

Maybe a used Panasonic toughbook?

Any other choices out there in the under five hundred dollar range that you use that have good RFI shielding?

Thanks!

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
If you're using inexpensive USB cables, you might be surprised to find that is the real cause of your interference.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have two laptops, an older 17" Dell, a new 15.4" Dell, and a Samsung netbook, and none of them ever caused any significant RFI. Your problem is probably cable related. I have had no issues using the cheaper than cheap cables from Monoprice.com.

sphipps

I use a Dell Latitude D630 with Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz processor that features a full magnesium-alloy case body. It's dead quiet... absolutely no RFI. I can have my PRO-106 sitting on top of it without issue. Great cheap "rock solid" laptop. Will easily run XP, Vista, and Win 7.

The Dell Latitude "D" series is about the most "dirt common" business laptop ever made. You can find them on Ebay and at computer swap meets for well under $200. Just make sure it has Intel graphics. All of the nVidia graphics models have either failed, or will eventually fail, due to manufacturer defect.

Status
Not open for further replies.