headphone cord discriminator tap

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7HGK

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/5.63/27.1591; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 240X320 Samsung SCH-U660)

i have a pair of altec lansing mhp 136 wooden housing earbuds with a 1/8 mono plug on the end. Can i cut the earbuds where they branch off and solder the cut end to the fm discriminator of a scanner and insert the plug end in the 'line in' on my computer or would i be better off starting with just a piece of wire and soldering on a 1/8 plug?

ST-Bob

Premium Subscriber
First off, earbuds almost always have a stereo plug on them. It has a tip and a ring then the common ground connection furthest from the tip.

Learn to solder and get the right parts. Use RG-174 coaxial cable from the discriminator pin to the appropriate jack (RCA phone jacks are commonly used) with the shield properly grounded at both ends.

KD7HGK

First off, earbuds almost always have a stereo plug on them. It has a tip and a ring then the common ground connection furthest from the tip.

Learn to solder and get the right parts. Use RG-174 coaxial cable from the discriminator pin to the appropriate jack (RCA phone jacks are commonly used) with the shield properly grounded at both ends.

Thanks bob that's what I'll do. Luckily I do know how to solder.

Status
Not open for further replies.