Police scanner live broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiDeeClutzy

I want to set up a live broadcast of our local Helena, MT police scanner online. Does anyone out there have experience doing this? What is the best scanner to use? What hurdles did you have? What in the setup process would you strongly recommend I do? don't do? I would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance. :)

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
Not that I know of.....There are so many out there I would guess not..

I use Windows Media Encoder 9 for my feed and it works quite well. You can't stream alpha tags but I'm not using a uniden scanner so it doesn't matter. There's a tutorial at http://www.knology.net/res0plht/Media_Encoder_Tutorial_launcher.html for using the encoder. I believe matthewtomek is using WMEncoder also??

tspainiv

Shelby Co DB Admin
Database Admin
I've tried shoutcast but I was running video with the feed of the scanner display and I don't know how to do that with shoutcast. Video is down right now till I get some different webcam drivers that won't crash my computer.

Al42

IHEARYOU said:
Since I'm new to the hobby, is it not illegal to rebroadcast the transmissions?
It's in direct violation of section 604 of the communications act but, due to the fact that the FCC never enforces it, as it pertains to live scanners on the internet, they may have lost the right to prosecute. (IANAL, yada , yada.)

Last edited:

matthewtomek

Live Audio Admin
Feed Provider
tspainiv said:
Not that I know of.....There are so many out there I would guess not..

I use Windows Media Encoder 9 for my feed and it works quite well. You can't stream alpha tags but I'm not using a uniden scanner so it doesn't matter. There's a tutorial at http://www.knology.net/res0plht/Media_Encoder_Tutorial_launcher.html for using the encoder. I believe matthewtomek is using WMEncoder also??

Yeah, I'm using WME v9 as well. I don't have a problem with the software, I like it. The only problem I run into every now and then, it takes the feed a while to buffer when you try to listen to it.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi all,

"Since I'm new to the hobby, is it not illegal to rebroadcast the transmissions?"

We can go on forever with all the conjecture. I have an idea but getting an answer may take time, I'll ask Riley Hollingsworth, Chief Council of the FCC Enforcement Bureau.

struct_dj

I been all over this site, looking for the answer if its legal to stream a live non encrypted police channel with my scanner online in Canada, but all i see is people saying yes and others saying no, in a circle around and around they go, with bits and pieces of legal jargon, supporting both sides, you would think this site could provide a definite yes or no answer, Im sure this site has figured out the legal aspects of this question, so please someone here, an owner whoever, please give us a straight yes or no answer

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Nice thread revival ;)

The owner is in America, and is not an expert on Canadian law.

The answer if you're worried about legality is -- "broadcast it anonymously"

struct_dj

rdale, its actually on my website, which is a free website, i'm not making money or benefiting from the site, and in order to hear the scanner online you must sign in, so from what your saying I have to pull the plug on it, also i was going to provide a feed to this site, but that wouldn't be anonymous either, so I won't be doing that as well. Would like to hear this confirmed from an official on here.

Last edited:

rdale

Premium Subscriber
so from what your saying I have to pull the plug on it

Not what I said at all. If you want to be 100% sure you have no legal issues, you would. If 99% is good enough, then keep it going.

Would like to hear this confirmed from an official on here.

Again I want to clear up any confusion... The officials from the Canadian government are not on this forum. If you want a legal yes/no you would need to contact them along with a lawyer.

911scanner

.... and, keep in mind that all of the feeds on this site have a delay from when the transmission actually occurred on the scanner broadcasting it.

I am quite positive that this delay helps eliminate many legal issues for everyone involved in the broadcast of such transmissions.

MM

Status
Not open for further replies.