is what my school doing legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Ok so my school is part of a widespread district and they operate on UHF radios. They have two callsigns one is for buses and maintainence that ones a reapeater. But what really trubles me is ther radios that the use for communicating in all of the schools. I know that each of the buildings gets a 2 way radio estamant of 20 per school. But, theres only one school with a licence to opperate. There licence description says that they have 150 units for that one school which happens to be the smallest in the district. But why would the small school need 150 two way radios for only like 20 staff member. And it says that theres only on transmit location. But infact they have many places they transmit that are not in that designated area.
Is this illeagal or legal please tell me if it is. Thanks

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
First be sure to do some spell checks before submitting, hard to read in areas.

Second, what school district is this?

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
Like the previous poster said, what district? Also you said you had some other information such as callsigns. Do you know what they are or have links to any of the information you found(Like the 150 units/ 1 transmit site)? The more you can tell us, the easier and quicker we can get you an answer.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Like the others said, being able to look at the actual license would help. Often licenses are for a certain radius around a central point. If the small school is roughly in the geographic center of the district, and the license allows a certain operating radius around that one point, then they are legal. It isn't necessary to license each location. A lot of our license at work are either good for a 30km radius around the campus, or are licensed for use anywhere in the County or state.

KD2DLL

Feed Provider
One more thing to add, when you said there is one transmit station, that may be referring to the location of the repeater.

k3cfc

Silent Key
Ok so my school is part of a widespread district and they operate on UHF radios. They have two callsigns one is for buses and maintainence that ones a reapeater. But what really trubles me is ther radios that the use for communicating in all of the schools. I know that each of the buildings gets a 2 way radio estamant of 20 per school. But, theres only one school with a licence to opperate. There licence description says that they have 150 units for that one school which happens to be the smallest in the district. But why would the small school need 150 two way radios for only like 20 staff member. And it says that theres only on transmit location. But infact they have many places they transmit that are not in that designated area.
Is this illeagal or legal please tell me if it is. Thanks

Who are they bothering? i believe in live and let live if it doesn't effect me i would mind my own business.

just my opinion

K3CFC.

If you are soliciting opinions you will get several on RR, for a actual legal opinion hire an Attorney that specializes in FCC matters.

mikey60

Most Mobile only licenses have a radius defined around a center point. If this school is centrally located in the district, and the other schools are within that radius, then they could be operating legally. As the others have posted, without seeing the licences we can't really know for sure.

Mike

Honestly,,unless they re being grossly inappropriate i see no harm..FCC would nag them if the were
causing any interference with anyone higher on the food chain,such as FD-EMS-PD,,LocalATC or what have you..
like the earlier poster,,live n let live.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I see nothing illegal unless there's something you're not telling us. The FCC issues a blanket license for all transmitters in the system so since the district is licensed all authorized users are covered. As for the repeater, that transmitter is listed to a specific location and mobiles/portables authorized to operate within a certain radius expressed in kilometers.

Now settle down boys and study your Part 90 rules and regulations before your misinformation starts another wild goose chase. All he did was ask a question to satisfy his curiosity, a simple answer providing it is correct and not speculation would suffice.

SCPD

QRT
Alright so i see theres some confusion. The district im talking about is the upper arlington city schools. I do not work there but i am a student. Dont search this yet because they have 5 licences. The frequencie
+452.125 PL 71.9 is used for busses they talk usualy 6:30 am to 8:30 am also around 3:00 pm. The busses use icom moble mounts that are 25 watts and a repeters with 20 watts. The other frequencie is +463.375 PL 71.9 this one is used for maintainence. The licence description says that 463.375 uses 25 watt moble mounts and 20 watt repeaters. But heres what really confuses me the only radios ive ever seen maintainence use was kenwood 2 way handheld radios maby 4 watts. I know for shure there linked to the 463.675 because i saw one of the districts maintainence guys talking on it while i was listening. But the licence description does not state this that they were useing handhelds and im prety shure they dont make handheld radios capable of 25 watts. This does not concern me it just confuses me. And anoter thing is they have two licences for the same thing WQET505 and WPRL759. Ok now moveing on to my original discussion. My school also uses handheld radios to cordinate activites. But theres one school that says it uses this licence WQGT200. It also says that there is only one transmit location with a radios of 8km from the center point but really there might be multiple places because where the transmit location is one of the small schools and it says it has 150 units for a school with like only 20 teachers. But if you were to search this it would look like there useing a reapeter but there not.
The models they use are: moterola mag one, icom, Kenwood... If you want to learn more about the school go to the uaschools website, thankyou and please replie to this post

I AM NOT UPSET AT THE DISTRICT. I AM JUST CURIOUS OF HOW THEY ARE WORKING THERE RADIO COMMUNEICATION TO EXPAND MY KNOWLAGE OF RADIOS AND THERE WORKINGS.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Jackmchugh,

This is pretty easy to explain. License WQET505 indicates 2 repeaters (FB2) both located at location 1 (1650 Ridgen road at the coordinates shown). They are using radios of up to 25 watts (MO). In FCC language MO represents a moveable radio like a mobile or a portable so there is no distinction. The only limitation is that they can't be over 25 watts. This license also shows 2 control stations FX1 (control stations are fixed stations that talk to repeaters) that are licensed under the 6.1 meter rule. That means if the antenna is 6.1 meters or less above the mounting structure they can be anywhere in the state of OH without identifying the exact location. The license also shows that mobile and portables can operate in a 32.2 Km radius around the location of the repeater coordinates given in location 1.

License WPRL759 was terminated in 2005 and is not valid. The FCC database keeps track of ALL licenses.

License WQET505 indicates there are 5 frequencies licensed to radios using 4 watts or less (portables). There operating range is 8 Km radius around the coordinates given in Loc. 1. They can have a total of 150 radios on each frequency. That means that 150 radios can have all 5 frequencies programed in the radio for use anywhere within the 8 Km radius of the coordinates given. The number of radios licensed is an approximate number of the radios in use. This is mostly for justifying to the FCC the need for 5 frequencies.

I don't see anything on the license or the way you described their operation that is contrary to the content on their licenses. Hope this helps.

BB

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Oh my...

Alright so i see theres some confusion. The district im talking about is the upper arlington city schools. I do not work there but i am a student. Dont search this yet because they have 5 licences. The frequencie
+452.125 PL 71.9 is used for busses they talk usualy useing a reapeter but there not.
The models they use are: moterola mag one, icom, Kenwood... If you want to learn more about the school go to the uaschools website, thankyou and please replie to this post

I AM NOT UPSET AT THE DISTRICT. I AM JUST CURIOUS OF HOW THEY ARE WORKING THERE RADIO COMMUNEICATION TO EXPAND MY KNOWLAGE OF RADIOS AND THERE WORKINGS.

Is this a middle school?

SCPD

QRT
FLEEF:The location where WQET200 transmit is a daycare center also part of the uaschools district. I go to a middle school hastings.

SCPD

QRT
Wa0cbw: What im wondering is why that tiny schiool has 150 radios. The 150 radios is from WQGT200. But i have many other schools in my district just look at the uaschools website. But thats the only one school licence with radios keep in mind the quantity and size. Also the school i go to hastind has like 20 radios but i cant find the frequencies.
Thankyou

jackj

Most likely the school district holds the license, not the school building. There should not be a problem with any district employee using the radios in any building.

Status
Not open for further replies.