Durable outer housing for expensive scanners revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Disclaimer. I am a devoted customer to Uniden , Gre, and Motorola products. This forum is in no way trying to smear a company with proven products. I am just venting a frustration and using my 1st amendment right. God Bless America.

About 1 year ago, I created a thread about opinions on the need of a more durable housing for expensive scanners, such as full digital scanners. All of us know $500 today, is a lot of money. I sat once again wondering, how difficult could it really be to develop or take a current Uniden or GRE scanner and build it around the durable plastic housing of current Motorola or Thales communication radios. Of course, without infringing on their patents, but developing something never seen before. I know saying " just make it happen", is easier said then done. I can't imagine with how large the scanner enthusiast market is, that this has not been attempted or completed or just been someone else's similar issue. I just want to make this clear first, I own 3 GRE radios; so I love their products, but when I contacted the business on this idea they tried to sell me a canvas case. They said my idea would be too expensive, and was not worth them trying. I guess its a smart business approach to build a radio, which if exposed to moisture or dropped from standing height would break, so that enthusiasts would buy another one. Maybe, before the lousy economy I would buy another replacement. I am to the point of searching months for the best ebay deal. Over many years of being a career and volunteer firefighter, I use a scanner as a piece of equipment similar to my helmet or turnout gear. I am listening to the incident progress as I am heading to the station. Also 70% of the USA fire departments are volunteer, so men and woman are spending their own money on a scanner because a $5000 to $7000 portable is way out of the question. Most departments can not afford to outfit every member with Xts or Apx portable radio. Many of these public safety employees own scanners and throw it around responding on a call or put it on their hip while working around the station. It would be nice not to have to baby it, or wrap it in bubble wrap (sarcasm) but everyone gets the point. The purpose of my thread is to once again start a discussion about the need for a more durable case with a water and dust resistant display, large louder speaker, rugged volume knobs, and a water resistant keypad to access the scanner menu items. When I called both Uniden , Gre America, I wish I was taken seriously. I am tired of replacing, scratching, marking, breaking or fixing expensive scanners from normal use because when I am monitoring incidents because I am out in the elements.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I know what you mean! I dropped my new scanner on the pavement from two feet up and it got all chewed up! I was so mad I almost didn't want to use it anymore. Luckily there was just one scratch on the screen.

Have you bought a case for your scanner to protect it? I think it would solve all your problems.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
The days of the Motorola HT220 are long over. That was when you said brick it meant a solid radio, not a dead radio!

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the company would release some case specs, for screw holes, etc... That way someone could design a better case, maybe made with a 3D printer.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Revisited topic after the release of the uniden 436hp

I originally posted this thread below prior to the uniden 436hp release. I haven't yet raised the money to buy the new scanner. I am looking at buying the new scanner shortly so I can form my own opinion on durability. From what I have read posted about the new scanner, the display has improved, the case is larger and it comes with an sma-bnc adaptor, but the cons are the audio is still not as loud as owners would want, the case is still light wait plastic and the swivel pin is no longer metal. I believe improving the plastic shell would be a good start. That would eliminate the need for an additional canvas or leather case and would allow a strong motorola style belt clip which has stood the test of time. A second thing I would love to see is a uniden scanner with Bluetooth allowing a small earpiece of speaker to monitor the transmission.

If I receive the new 436hp and love it I will post a forum including all things improved upon and I am looking forward to getting it even after reading someother users cons on the new product. I am just reposting my old forum to create more conversation on the idea and see if any new users have the same beliefs I have.

I am a devoted customer to Uniden , Gre, and Motorola products. This forum is in no way trying to smear a company with proven products. I am just venting a frustration and using my 1st amendment right. God Bless America.

About 1 year ago, I created a thread about opinions on the need of a more durable housing for expensive scanners, such as full digital scanners. All of us know $500 today, is a lot of money. I sat once again wondering, how difficult could it really be to develop or take a current Uniden or GRE scanner and build it around the durable plastic housing of current Motorola or Thales communication radios. Of course, without infringing on their patents, but developing something never seen before. I know saying " just make it happen", is easier said then done. I can't imagine with how large the scanner enthusiast market is, that this has not been attempted or completed or just been someone else's similar issue. I just want to make this clear first, I own 3 GRE radios; so I love their products, but when I contacted the business on this idea they tried to sell me a canvas case. They said my idea would be too expensive, and was not worth them trying. I guess its a smart business approach to build a radio, which if exposed to moisture or dropped from standing height would break, so that enthusiasts would buy another one. Maybe, before the lousy economy I would buy another replacement. I am to the point of searching months for the best ebay deal. Over many years of being a career and volunteer firefighter, I use a scanner as a piece of equipment similar to my helmet or turnout gear. I am listening to the incident progress as I am heading to the station. Also 70% of the USA fire departments are volunteer, so men and woman are spending their own money on a scanner because a $5000 to $7000 portable is way out of the question. Most departments can not afford to outfit every member with Xts or Apx portable radio. Many of these public safety employees own scanners and throw it around responding on a call or put it on their hip while working around the station. It would be nice not to have to baby it, or wrap it in bubble wrap (sarcasm) but everyone gets the point. The purpose of my thread is to once again start a discussion about the need for a more durable case with a water and dust resistant display, large louder speaker, rugged volume knobs, and a water resistant keypad to access the scanner menu items. When I called both Uniden , Gre America, I wish I was taken seriously. I am tired of replacing, scratching, marking, breaking or fixing expensive scanners from normal use because when I am monitoring incidents because I am out in the elements.[/QUOTE]

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Otter box, lifeproof, Griffen durable case for scanners

What is everyone's opinion on a durable add on case made for scanners. I am aware the cost of durable cases and I have had one for every phone , tablet I have owned. They work as designed, I have dropped my phone many times with not a single scratch. I think if for instance the uniden 436hp and Whistler ws1080 had a otter box case , lifeproof, or Griffen case all mil spec , it would sell. I would definitely buy one to protect a $500 investment.

JnglMassiv

There was a time when I'd thought I'd want a more study scanner.
However, the way I use scanners these days, I actually prefer a smaller, lighter device.

cbehr91

Premium Subscriber
You could use a Regency HX1500 or like scanner as a hammer or a weapon against someone breaking into your house. I agree with this thread, though. Either more solidly built scanners or the adoption of Otterbox cases for them would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.