Digital scanner unblock

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubir

Dear all, please advise.
I have analog radio scanner (IC-R20) for few years and i love it.
I want to buy a new digital one. Can i buy digital radio scanner in Canada that it is not block(Excluding UHF TV and Cellular)? I have business trip to Canada and i want to find one.
What are the recommended ?
Thanks to all.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What are you wanting to hear, that it needs to be unblocked?
There's not many needs for this in the u.s. unless you know something we don't?

n9zas

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

A "blocked" scanner was one that had a circuit componet added that prevented it from receiving the 800 MHz cellular bands. But you said "...that excludes UHF TV and Cellular". So you're contradicting yourself. What frequency range do you want unblocked?

dubir

What are you wanting to hear, that it needs to be unblocked?
There's not many needs for this in the u.s. unless you know something we don't?

n9zas

Nothing special, just don't want any limit. The question is if it possible to get one unblock.
If yes, where.
Thanks

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Nothing special, just don't want any limit. The question is if it possible to get one unblock.
If yes, where.
Thanks

Probably not without a government requisition on the proper letter head, so good luck with that. ;)

n9zas

D

DaveNF2G

Technically, ownership of a digital scanner requires a permit in Canada. I don't know how effective they are at enforcing it.

W2NJS

What WAS blocked on US-made scanners is still blocked, but it's really meaningless because the old AMPS cell channels on 800 mHz have been replaced by digital signals, so even if you get an unblocked scanner you won't hear anything understandabel on the old AMPS 800 mHz channels.

D

DaveNF2G

The current problem with the US cellphone blocking is that it excludes non-cellular frequencies that are used in some areas.

gunmasternd

no point in getting a unblocked scanner anymore. should bought one in 1997? when amps was used.

I doubt you have the money for a unblocked scanner only governments can buy them.

What can you listen to anyway? if you had one i cant think of anything.

Darth_vader

"What can you listen to anyway? If you had one, I can't think of anything."

You *might* be able to hear some AMPS traffic on the lower cell band (825-845/channels 001-333) *if*, and that's a really big if, you're lucky enough to have such a service operating in the area. F¢¢ regulations were changed in 2008 such that cell phone companies were no longer required to carry AMPS, so most were pretty quick to dump it.

That said, Cass County's large and rural enough that it may still be in use there, since AMPS can provide reasonable service over large and remote geographic areas fairly easily from just a few strategically-placed cell sites; a feat that even the most advanced GSM system probably has yet to accomplish. I'd think the mostly flat, prairie terrain around your part of the state would also be particularly conducive for such operation. Hmmm...looks like another road-trip to my Aunt's/Uncle's "outpost" just outside of Leonard might be in my future, this time armed with my trusty unblocked PRO-2004 that I didn't have last time. ;o)

Frankly, these days I don't mind having a "blocked" scanner, in fact it almost seems like a necessity. There's no traffic whatsoever, AMPS or otherwise to be found in the low band around here, and it makes for less button-pushing when passing through the high band (870-890 MHz/channels 334-666; where GSM operates) in search mode, since both my rigs like to stop on data channels. It just makes things easier and more efficient, I think.

Last edited:

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Wow, what a bargain, only $9,925 at Scanner master! I'll send Jeeves to fetch the Bentley and drive me over there to pick up a couple dozen, forthwith!

o_O

Ahem.. For those of us on a more earth-bound budget looking for continuous coverage receivers, might I recommend the humble RTL-SDR dongle? They can go from 30mhz to around 2GHz with no gaps whatsoever and cost anywhere between $14 to $40 depending on how fancy of a dongle you want.

-AZ

awattam

I have an old 1985 Uniden Bearcat that is unblocked, well it was built before the FCC rules came into force. I can confirm that there is nothing in that unblocked range to be heard so I wouldnt bother.

I doubt you have the money for a unblocked scanner only governments can buy them.

Let the Govt pay full price & grab surplus off ebay.

AR8200MK3 Unblocked 500khz to 3000mhz coverage
are going reasonably for $350 to $450
regularly.clean units.some have the IR option..
and if you need,another 300 and you can send it to AoR
for the P25 upgrade..
I mailed AoR and if you send an unblocked unit - you
will get an unblocked unit back,with P25 and SD/USB
upgrades..

Suppose a GRE SuperConverter would work on a blocked
radio...if you can find one..

Status
Not open for further replies.