RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion

General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2016, 8:57 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I was in Jackson Tn today and the county (Madison County) is still having trouble with their 5 site tait DMR system using tait radios. They are still having LSM problems and the radio shop is still getting help from factory techs.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:18 PM

Are there any scanners that do simulcast good? Current or future? I've tried pro 652, hp1 and now 396xt and no luck with simulcast.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:08 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medziatkowicz35 View Post
Are there any scanners that do simulcast good? Current or future? I've tried pro 652, hp1 and now 396xt and no luck with simulcast.
x36 are ok with good antenna and im currently using a 668 with good results however i have tweaked all the settings to handle the system i monitor.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:09 PM

How can I tell what settings to tweak? Are there specific settings for each simulcast?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

No it is basic settings for the decode levels in the digital settings area.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 PM

How can I tell what settings to use for my area?
Old 05-26-2016, 11:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
How can I tell what settings to tweak? Are there specific settings for each simulcast?
NO, there are no "simulcast" settings in any hardware scanner, they don't support simulcast at all (hence this thread). Anyone who tells you a certain scanner "supports" simulcast is deceiving themselves. No scanner manufacturer has ever claimed to support simulcast, and for good reason.

Aside from OP-25 (which, while difficult/time consuming to install, is free and fully supports simulcast), you're best bet is probably a Yagi directional antenna. Or, of course, the unmentionable XTS option.
Old 05-27-2016, 1:09 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedawg1604 View Post
NO, there are no "simulcast" settings in any hardware scanner, they don't support simulcast at all (hence this thread). Anyone who tells you a certain scanner "supports" simulcast is deceiving themselves. No scanner manufacturer has ever claimed to support simulcast, and for good reason.

Aside from OP-25 (which, while difficult/time consuming to install, is free and fully supports simulcast), you're best bet is probably a Yagi directional antenna. Or, of course, the unmentionable XTS option.
Actually there is you just have to find the right combo for your location! And ive worked with op25 and "hardware" scanners and i have had no luck with op25 but i can tweak my pro668 to do just about any system.
Old 05-27-2016, 1:48 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

on simulcast, the best I have done is with antenna choice. You get a good outside antenna, you reach out but you get most of the antennas too. Less is more, going into the site and selecting the closest site to your location, then I am using an old Motorola rubber duck that used to be on an mtx-1000, or mts-800. Rubber duck, beats the standard 396xt duck, .Other ducks may pick up farther, but then the problem of receiving multiple towers at the same time. Course you use a specific 800 mhz antenna, vhf hardly works. The choices I have are hear the cty on 800 and forget the hp on vhf, hear both and then sometimes nothing intelligible because of simulcast. The beam concept works good but you have to play with the direction to get one tower, not 2 or 3..
Old 05-27-2016, 10:49 AM

Would this radio shack antenna work? https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717063813
Old 05-27-2016, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Would this radio shack antenna work? https://www.radioshack.com/products/...ant=5717063813
Probably not because it is omni-directional.

BUT, nobody can tell you what will work at your location. With simulcast systems, it is all local - trial and error specific to you. Are you mobile or fixed? What is your location in regards to towers? Where in the house is your antenna? Etc, etc.

Have fun experimenting and when you find the perfect combo pat yourself on the back.
Old 05-27-2016, 6:09 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Default LSM is fixed as it ever will be.

Everyone always whines about this. Its as good as it gets guys. The PRO-96 can handle P25 LSM's fine with tiny adjustment internally, and the right software. The Uniden BCD396/996XT's handle it fine with proper software/firmware updates and settings. And these are scanners with the "wrong" vocoders. The BCDX36HP's handle it just as good with the "right" vocoder, AND still usually need end user adjustments to settings. As far as I know the new P2's also have the "wrong" vocoder but still can handle it fine with same aforementioned adjusting. The only way to get that even better is playing with antenna, and attenuation tricks. I seriously think that its not ever going to truly be solved on the scanner radio's manufacturer end. I hate to say it, but the only way you will ever fully solve the problem, is by getting lucky enough to be an actual user of the system you want to hear, and having an actual system radio. Its an dead horse issue. Onward to the next episode!
Old 05-27-2016, 6:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
I hate to say it, but the only way you will ever fully solve the problem, is by getting lucky enough to be an actual user of the system you want to hear, and having an actual system radio.
Or buy a Unication G4. Receive only (no worrysome programming), yet works fine in simulcast environments.

There is a long thread about them in the other receivers forum.
Old 05-27-2016, 7:44 PM

Use a Yagi....on your car...looks good while scanning mobile. Just remember every time you make a turn to adjust your Yagi in the new direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2016, 7:52 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight View Post
Or buy a Unication G4. Receive only (no worrysome programming), yet works fine in simulcast environments.

There is a long thread about them in the other receivers forum.
OMG! I just saw a youtube video of this radio, I almost fell out of my chair. Incredible. Yeah, it's not as cheap as a hardware scanner, but if you compare it to the price of a XTS with programming cable and software, it's really quite reasonable. I want 10 of those.
Old 05-27-2016, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milf View Post
And these are scanners with the "wrong" vocoders. The BCDX36HP's handle it just as good with the "right" vocoder, AND still usually need end user adjustments to settings. As far as I know the new P2's also have the "wrong" vocoder
So these scanners don't use IMBE and AMBE vocoders? What do posters mean when they write "wrong" vocoders?
Old 05-27-2016, 9:03 PM

If they get DMR into the G4 or G5 then that would make them a great alternative. If the price was closer to $500 that would also greatly help, because in general they are less flexible than scanners, and probably made off shore in the same region as the Baofeng, and i bet at $500 they would still be making a great profit.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicerwizard View Post
So these scanners don't use IMBE and AMBE vocoders? What do posters mean when they write "wrong" vocoders?
Right?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:43 PM
Careful, I CAN hear you!
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

The older scanners use IMBE, the X36's use AMBE. LSM systems are usually using AMBE with Phase II ones using AMBE II. But even with AMBE Vocoders, the X36's still do not even compare to say an APX on an P25 LSM system. Something scanner owners whine about.. I even used to til I realized, a scanner, no matter how good, is not an commercially designed radio specifically designed to handle multiple types of format to professional standards of 2 way comms. If an scanner was, then we would be paying over 2 grand for them. WEG!
Old 05-28-2016, 8:46 AM

Isn't there a new scanner coming out this summer that is supposed to be better at simulcast?

Tags
uniden, upman