RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > General Scanning Discussion


General Scanning Discussion - For general questions not specific to a model of scanner or general discussion of use of a scanner. Manufacturer specific posts should be directed to the appropriate forums below and location specific posts should go in the appropriate regional forum..

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 PM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
Moot point since they wouldn't fit anyway.
https://www.amazon.com/LiFePO4-Recha..._1468507404378
You posted a link to a different size cell then go on to chide me that the cells are different. Now go and look at a correct package and make an informed comment.

The link is in the last post. Sorry I didn't include it before, but I assumed (in error - my bad) that people would not post different size cells and then say the warning is meaningless because they are not AA cells.
Sponsored links
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2016, 6:59 PM
Ronaldski's Avatar
MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay City MI
Posts: 1,965
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderr10 View Post
In the reviews -
Quote:
Question:
Can i use these in place of a standard aa battery, with standard battery being a 1.5 v and these being 3.2 v. thank you
Answer:
No, THESE batteries are a bit shorter than a standard AA. I made that mistake.
By Linda Marie Donathan on January 25, 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
You posted a link to a different size cell then go on to chide me that the cells are different. Now go and look at a correct package and make an informed comment.

The link is in the last post. Sorry I didn't include it before, but I assumed (in error - my bad) that people would not post different size cells and then say the warning is meaningless because they are not AA cells.
You 'chide' me because you forgot to put a link? Now I know you have been very stubborn before with me once before, http://forums.radioreference.com/sca...-freescan.html , since then just so you know I have had you on my ignore list, but It gives me the option to view your posts if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
[Also tell me that looks physically shorter than a 5/5 AA size. I held a Eneloop cell up to the screen, and it covers the shown cell PERFECTLY.

I simply don't buy the line that these are not standard AA cells. I looked at the Amazon link, those cells are OBVIOUSLY different than the cells I posted the warning about. So, all you 4/5 guys look at the link I posted and tell me I'm wrong again.
You actually put a AA to a screen to view the size... really?
If you use that same reasoning, here is a picture of an AAA battery and it is bigger than an AA battery. http://www.elvessupply.com/assets/im...92-1_large.jpg
There is no way one can measure using a monitor, due to different screen resolutions, monitor dimensions, the picture itself.

What the REAL problem is that many, but not all retailers are saying they are as you say AA and not stating the different size that wont fit in the same spot a regular AA occupies.

Here are the dimensions for the part number from the link you gave, 807224W, Battery size: Diameter 10mm, height 44mm mm
-> (lifepo4 5-6 MM too short), -> (lifepo4 3-4 MM too narrow)
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery
Quote:
An AA cell measures 49.2–50.5 (1.94–1.99 in) in length, including the button terminal—and 13.5–14.5 mm (0.53–0.57 in) in diameter
Also these batteries have been on the market for what I can tell for 10 years or so and if there really was a problem with these fitting in the same slot as a regular AA one can reasonably say if there was a problem we would have clearly seen it already. Electronic manufacturers that make devices using regular AA's would be sounding a very big alarm to be certain and that hasn't been the case.
.
So again I will say this not a problem for radios using regular AA's only that people are ordering these thinking they are regular sized AA's due to poor descriptions and are having to take or send them back. The link you gave is clearly one of these that don't have a disclaimer about the different size.
I'm sure you will see the two reviews at your link, but it seems obvious to me they did not actually buy them and became confused about them as well.

To me I have given evidence that shows this is not a problem for a direct replacement for regular AA's.
If anyone has these 3.2 volt batteries that seem to be mostly in solar lighting I have found to confirm these are not the same size as an AA, your comment is welcome.
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2016, 7:07 PM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hammond, IN
Posts: 1,376
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
To me I have given evidence that shows this is not a problem for a direct replacement for regular AA's.
If anyone has these 3.2 volt batteries that seem to be mostly in solar lighting I have found to confirm these are not the same size as an AA, your comment is welcome.
Actually, there is at least one advertisement for these 3.2vdc LiFeP04 that is in fact identical to the 50mm length of a standard 1.5 vdc AA battery!

https://www.amazon.com/Card-Tenergy-...iglink20662-20
=========================================
Tenergy 3.2V LiFePO4 Rechargeable AA (14500) battery

Dimensions: 14 diameter x 50 length. IMPORTANT: Please measure your battery before purchasing. This battery is a standard AA size battery that measures 14mm x 50mm. This battery does NOT measure 14mm x 43mm and is not a replacement for 14430 LiFePO4 batteries.
=========================================
Even with this "disclaimer" it is quite obviously a real problem!!!
__________________
Bill
N4GIX - Ham / WQWU626 - GMRS
VV-898, TK-840(N), 2xTYT-7800, 2xUV5R v2+, HP1, BCD436HP, TMV7A, Ritron RRX-450 Repeater, MD-380, XPR7550, 2xCS800, Bridgecom BCR-40U Repeater, Elecraft KX3 + PX3
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2016, 7:50 PM
Ronaldski's Avatar
MI DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bay City MI
Posts: 1,965
Default

N4GIX your link shows the same model 14500, the same reply as I replied about in #22 -
Quote:
Question: Can i use these in place of a standard aa battery, with standard battery being a 1.5 v and these being 3.2 v. thank you
Answer: No, THESE batteries are a bit shorter than a standard AA. I made that mistake.
By Linda Marie Donathan on January 25, 2016
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2016, 1:51 AM
Member
   
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 11,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
You 'chide' me because you forgot to put a link? Now I know you have been very stubborn before with me once before, http://forums.radioreference.com/sca...-freescan.html , since then just so you know I have had you on my ignore list, but It gives me the option to view your posts if need be.
A link was not needed at the time. I said there are cells coming out that will not work. I didn't point to the 4/5 cell that others assumed are the ones I was talking about. At the time I wasn't even aware of the 4/5 cells.

But, if you want to have self-imposed ostrich-syndrome, that is your right. The assumptions by others are not my fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
You actually put a AA to a screen to view the size... really?
If you use that same reasoning, here is a picture of an AAA battery and it is bigger than an AA battery.
I guess you failed to grasp two relevant concepts:

1. It was stated that the 4/5 cells are the SAME DIAMETER as standard AA cells.

2. The proportions on two cells that have the same diameter and the same height means the two cells ARE the same height when viewed from the same angle.

So, yes, as the picture happened to be the correct width (diameter), I used that as a reference to conclude that they are in fact the same height. I learned that in Algebra many years ago. It's mathematically sound.

But, I understand your need to avenge the wrong you feel was done to you by me. Unfortunately, the facts are on my side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
What the REAL problem is that many, but not all retailers are saying they are as you say AA and not stating the different size that wont fit in the same spot a regular AA occupies.

Here are the dimensions for the part number from the link you gave, 807224W, Battery size: Diameter 10mm, height 44mm mm
-> (lifepo4 5-6 MM too short), -> (lifepo4 3-4 MM too narrow)
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AA_battery
I'm not going to debate the definition of AA size. They are stated as AA size, and they certainly appear to be AA size. The fact they may be a few mm off is irrelevant, as I've purchased AA cells that are a few mm different and they still worked in my scanner. Those were rechargeable NiMH cells.

And of course Wikipedia is never wrong!

But, again, I can understand your need to criticize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
The link you gave is clearly one of these that don't have a disclaimer about the different size.
Not only no disclaimer, but claims in three places that they are AA size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldski View Post
To me I have given evidence that shows this is not a problem for a direct replacement for regular AA's.
Do you understand that the spring tension can easily make up a few mm and would make contact?

If you want to ignore the warning, BY ALL MEANS DO. But don't come in here telling me it's my fault that you don't understand what I am talking about and that a few mm in printed specs means cells won't fit.

Now by all means do use that ostrich-mode if your only reason to post is to get revenge. My warning was a well intentioned and reasonable warning that there are AA size cells that are coming onto the market that are not 1.2V. That is based on their claim that they ARE AA size. I didn't buy them just to put a micrometer on them. It IS that simple. If you want to argue that they are not really AA size, take that up with the manufacturer. I didn't make the cells and I don't own Wal*Mart. I'm only passing on the information as it was presented.

You are the one who brought up the 4/5 size cells that I wasn't talking about. I said AA - I didn't say 4/5 AA.

Last edited by Voyager; 07-18-2016 at 2:17 AM..
Sponsored links
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2016, 5:44 AM
MikeOxlong's Avatar
Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Central Ontario
Posts: 9,579
Default

I think this thread has served its purpose.
__________________
Mike.

Sorry but I don't accept PM's. Please use email instead.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, scanner, warning

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions